Christmas 2015 advice needed

Sammy Mouse

Hi all
I'm off to disney for Christmas and New Year and have never been for Christmas before so need your help.
I go on the 20th December and fly home on the 2nd. I am staying at the Port Orleans Riverside and my party is 5 adults 1 teenager.
So some questions....
Are there any recommendationsof where to spend Christmas especially Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
Do the restaurants in the park serve different food on Christmas Day? Or is this offered at hotels?
Is it best to get to a park early?
Are there different activities, parades etc on these days?
As a family we like to spend a few hours in them morning in a park and then return to the resort and maybe go to another park in the evening, is this a good idea during the Christmas period?
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Jae99

My family visited over Christmas/New Years this past year. We checked in on the 25th and left on the 2nd of January. I can't tell you much about Christmas day because we didn't go to any parks, but it will be extremely busy. If you plan to go to a park I would do so right at rope drop, spend a few hours and then leave for the rest of the day and possibly resort hop and have a nice dinner at one of the resort restaurants.

There will be a different version of Wishes and Illuminations as well as a Christmas parade at MK I think. I would also recommend going to Hollywood Studios and see the Osborne Lights (hopefully they are up this year).

We would go to the parks early in the morning and leave after lunch and head back to the resort for a nap or swim or some beers (if you like to partake in afternoon libations). We would then have a nice dinner and head back to the parks in the evening and try and close them down.

If you can handle the crowds make sure you are in Epcot for New Years Eve. It is one giant party around the World Showcase that is ended by the most incredible fireworks show I have ever seen (even better in my mind that the MK NYE show). The NYE show at the MK is shown twice (just FYI it is shown on Dec 31st as well as Dec 30th).

It will be busy but you will have a blast!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Not only get there early with FP planned but also plan out the attractions and events you mostly want to target. Get familiar with the park layout ahead of time so you know where things are and the way to get there. Expect longer lines and waits so dont be upset that some things will take more patience. Friends who have gone on your dates have reported back to me how much less they were able to accomplish but were still thrilled with their trip. Go with the right frame of mind and enjoy the atmosphere of the holiday visit.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

NYE - we went to EPCOT (2008) and were in before 10am. We stayed there all day through fear of not being allowed back in (due to capacity closures) if we decided leave.
It was packed - Soarin' had a stand-by line of almost 4 hours by early afternoon. TT even with FP took over an hour to ride and this was early evening.
Book your ADRs - get a relatively early dinner and claim your spot by the lagoon early

Upvote 0

Sammy Mouse

Original Poster
Thanks everybody.
We will definitely be getting up early and will try to be in the park for rope drop, then return to the resort for a swim and a beer or two.
Does anyone know if there are special Christmas meals served anywhere?
What is Christmas day without Turkey after all!

Upvote 0

Jae99

Thanks everybody.
We will definitely be getting up early and will try to be in the park for rope drop, then return to the resort for a swim and a beer or two.
Does anyone know if there are special Christmas meals served anywhere?
What is Christmas day without Turkey after all!
Liberty Tree Tavern serves a family style Turkey Dinner every day, so there is always that option for you. On our trip we had dinner at Raglan Road on Christmas night. The normal menu was available of course, but they also had a Turkey dinner on as a special. It came with turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing and brussel sprouts.

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

Are there any recommendationsof where to spend Christmas especially Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
Do the restaurants in the park serve different food on Christmas Day? Or is this offered at hotels?
Are there different activities, parades etc on these days?
As a family we like to spend a few hours in them morning in a park and then return to the resort and maybe go to another park in the evening, is this a good idea during the Christmas period?

There are holiday snacks offered in EPCOT, and some of the restaurants have Christmas-specific menus or specials for Christmas Day. There's a list posted by WDWInfo from this past year here. Many of the restaurants will have higher than normal pricing due to it being a peak time, so factor that into your food budget.

Get to the parks EARLY. Cannot stress that enough. We were there last year from Christmas to just before New Year's, and the crowds get increasingly worse the closer it gets to NYE. If you leave the parks during the day there is a chance that due to capacity closures you may not get back in. However, park hours are often extended late that week and crowds thin out a bit as people get exhausted and leave for the night, so taking an afternoon break and heading back to the parks early evening to close might work well. And if there is a morning EMH available, take advantage of it.

Be strategic with your Fastpass choices - we made afternoon picks for rides we KNEW we had to ride, and then hit up as many things as we could at rope drop before lines formed. There will be long lines everywhere as more people arrive. (To put it in perspective, Figment was at least a 45 minute wait every single day we were on property...which is insane.)

EPCOT typically has the Candlelight Processional, Holiday Storytellers, and Joyful for holiday specific entertainment. I don't think that AK has anything really specific to the holidays aside from basic decorations. DHS may or may not do Osborne Lights this year, but if they do, it's definitely worth seeing. Magic Kingdom will have their Christmas parade and Holiday Wishes fireworks.

Both MK and EPCOT do great NYE fireworks from what my cousins tell me (they're Florida AP holders), but anticipate not only a crush of people for the fireworks themselves, but also for trying to get out of the parks afterwards. (Your best bet would be to stay in a resort close to the park you plan on seeing fireworks at and walking back to your hotel, honestly. I've heard stories from friends where they waited hours to get out of the parking lot once the fireworks were done).

All the resorts and parks will have Christmas decor up, and many character meet and greets will have holiday costumes - we had pictures in AK with Minnie and Mickey in holiday garb, and Baloo and King Louie both had holiday scarves on. Some of the resorts have additional decor worth seeing - the Beach Club does a chocolate carousel, and the Grand Floridian does a giant gingerbread house, for example.

Despite all the warnings of crowds, it truly is a fun time to be at WDW, and as long as you put in a little planning the crowds shouldn't detract from the spectacle. My family enjoyed themselves immensely.

Upvote 0

Jae99

A little tip for NYE at Epcot. All around the World Showcase they will have large blow up lighted exit signs pointing to exits that head backstage. When we were looking for a place to watch the fireworks from we found a spot that was close to one of the exits.

We stationed ourselves between Canada and the UK right at the entrance to the Epcot World Showplace. It was a tremendous spot to view the fireworks from. Had easy access to some refreshments and washrooms and when the fireworks ended we were able to make a quick exit through the backstage area.

The exit took us through the backstage and let us back into the park by the Land Pavilion. We made it out of the park and back to our resort before 1 am, and that was missing the first bus that was at our stop.

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

We've done Christmas Day a few times (we'll be there this year 17-26). On Christmas Eve we like to have dinner at LTT. It makes us feel "at home" because it's a family style buffet. We'll probably book that again. Not sure where we are doing Christmas Day this year yet!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom