Children at Cirque

Alztybrn

Original Poster
What is the youngest age of your children that you have brought to Cirque (not infants)? I have a 6 year old daughter that I think will really enjoy it, but I also have a 2 1/2 year old son that I think will not be able to sit though the show. Along the same lines, does anyone have any child care option you have used. FWIW we will be staying on site.
Thanks

Jamie P

We went with friends to Cirque a few years back and their daughter was 3 at the time. She loved the show and still talks about it to this day. There is so much activity going on, you will not be bored. It all depends also on the child. Can your child sit through a movie? The show is about 90 minutes long. If you are concerned, Disney has a very reputable child care company that does in room baby sitting. You may want to check into this option.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Children...

I have mixed opinion on this. Bring kids to Cirque with 2 rules: they are quiet during the show & they can sit still for 90 minutes (La Nouba has no intermission). Other than that you should be good to go.

Yellow Shoes

Let's be selfish for a moment.

Cirque tickets are major $$. (at least for me)

We always assume our children can handle it, but sometimes we are wrong.

Will you be frustrated and angry if you have to take him out and YOU miss the show??

Will it annoy you to no end if you are constantly "shushing" him during the show?

Yes, there is music, and bright costumes, and lots of activity.

There is a fine line between stimulation and OVER-stimulation.
---and we all know that an over-stimulated toddler is a recipe for meltdown.

The show will be waaay past his bedtime.
If it were me, I would leave him home with a sitter so he gets to bed early and enjoy the evening with just your daughter. She will EAT UP the attention.

TwoTigersMom

My son was exactly 2 1/2 when we took him. We sat on the front row and he absolutely loved it! He talked a little but it was things like "WOW" or "Look at that Mommy!!" We held him in our laps so we didn't have to buy him a ticket. But then again, my son is very used to going places that most children don't go to. He has been to every home football game and several away games from our local college. He even went to the Capital One Bowl game with us this year. He has gone with us to every restraunt we've been to since he was born, except for Valentine's dinners or anniversaries. This includes Emeril's, Cali Grill, Yachtsman's Steakhouse, etc. I guess I'm trying to say, if your child is used to going places with you and he does well in those places, give him a chance. You know your child best, you know what he can handle and what he can't. Also, will they be doing the early show when you go? That's the one we went to and had no problems with him being too tired. Anyway, good luck with whichever you choose.

bladerunner

Fallen Angel said:
I have mixed opinion on this. Bring kids to Cirque with 2 rules: they are quiet during the show & they can sit still for 90 minutes (La Nouba has no intermission). Other than that you should be good to go.

Do they rent kid size straight jackets and muzzles in the lobby? Come on, kids are kids and while they shouldn't be spoiled, rude or misbehaving during a show the rule you point out is impossible for even the best behaved small child. Do you sit still for 90 minutes?<o:p></o:p>

tigntink

The last couple of times we've been down, some extended family members have joined us and we brought them to Cirque (6pm show) as Christmas presents. Our 3 yr old daughter went both times.....sat still....and LOVED it. We had to buy the DVD because she wants to go every time now and we told her we couldn't because it costs a lot to go.....it was the cheaper way for her to enjoy it over and over again.

But I agree with others. It really depends on the child. You know your child better than anyone. If they can sit through a movie well....they should be fine. But even though we knew our daughter could sit for long periods....we were prepared to take her out the first time (we purchased seats on an aisle in category 3)....you just never know how they'll react to all that stimulation....and it's not fair to others who have also paid a lot of money to listen to a child fussing or playing around....so we went into it with the possibility of "losing" some money if one of us had to walk out with her.

Good luck with your decision!:wave:

Yellow Shoes

Absolutely--parents know their children best.

I am also convinced that the majority of "bad parenting" episodes we have witnessed at WDW and elsewhere are the result of parents over-estimating their child's tolerance for noise, lights, crowds, lack of sleep, hunger, etc.

As the mother of boys and a friend to mothers of girls, I would suggest that girls are FAR more mature at 2 and a half than boys. (Both examples of well-behaved children at Cirque were 3 year old girls). As any parent with children of both genders can attest, boys are far more wiggly and "physical" than girls.

tigntink had some good advice:so we went into it with the possibility of "losing" some money if one of us had to walk out with her.

Let's just say that there is NO WAY I would have taken my kids at that age to Cirque.

Alztybrn

Original Poster
Does anybody have any experience with the in resort babysitting, Prices, experiences, good and bad?
Thanks!

Alztybrn said:
Does anybody have any experience with the in resort babysitting, Prices, experiences, good and bad?
Thanks!

I don't have kids of my own yet, but when I was 5, my parents left me at the Neverland Club one evening. I had a blast, and there was alot to do, even for an introverted five year old like I was. Can't tell you about prices or anything, though. It's been 14 years since I was there, so I'm not sure how much has changed.

As for the kids at Cirque, this past trip (January) my family and I went to Cirque, and most of the children were far more well behaved than the tour group sitting behind us. I know people had children around us, but I didn't hear a peep out of them.

Best of luck with the planning :)

Cliffordsmon

When my son was younger we would use the Sandcastle Club at the Beach Club and the one at the Grand Floridian (can't remember the name) and he loved it. I would use the babysitting services again and can highly recommend them. They do have a limited time period that they will keep you child but it should be long enough to see Cirque.

Yellow Shoes

Too lazy to look it up, but I am fairly sure that the kids' clubs are for children 4 and older who are toilet trained.

Your only choice is an in-room sitter. There are several agencies that provide this.

RonAnnArbor

24-hour a day baby sitting in-room, licensed and bonded, is provided by:
Kids Nite Out 407-828-0920
Fairy Godmothers 407-275-7326
All About Kids 407-812-9300

Our family has had good experiences with Fairy Godmothers in particular. I know, as I do not have kids, and I insist that my sister in law get a baysitter and leave the 3 and 5 year olds at home when we go out for an adult evening out. The kids have LOVED the babysitters, and I've enjoyed La Nouba without their kids there.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I wish they did. Hey if I'm gonna pay $90 for a Cirque ticket and your kid is kicking my chair, talking, whining, getting up every 20 min, etc etc. It's a disturbance to me and takes away from the show. Which is WHY I prefer the 9pm performance over the 6pm show (fewer young kids). When I was a CM and worked at Cirque we got quite a few complaints about the above issues. If you know your kids can handle it, take em...if you're not sure...dont.

bladerunner said:
Do they rent kid size straight jackets and muzzles in the lobby? Come on, kids are kids and while they shouldn't be spoiled, rude or misbehaving during a show the rule you point out is impossible for even the best behaved small child. Do you sit still for 90 minutes?<o>:p></o>:p>

bsandersjr

bladerunner said:
Do they rent kid size straight jackets and muzzles in the lobby? Come on, kids are kids and while they shouldn't be spoiled, rude or misbehaving during a show the rule you point out is impossible for even the best behaved small child. Do you sit still for 90 minutes? <o:p></o:p>

We went last year. I am now 30. I almost didn't make it for 90 minutes!

Then again, I have the attention span of a 5 year old.:lol:

Dizknee_Phreek

bladerunner said:
Do they rent kid size straight jackets and muzzles in the lobby? Come on, kids are kids and while they shouldn't be spoiled, rude or misbehaving during a show the rule you point out is impossible for even the best behaved small child. Do you sit still for 90 minutes?<o:p></o:p>
True that few people can sit still for a full 90 minutes, and small children will wiggle or do whatever it is that little kids do. But there are some parents that allow their children to get way out of hand. I've seen it in restaurants, stores, theatres, in church even. We've all seen it happen. I don't mind a kid wanting off or on their parents' laps or whatever. But once the child's movement gets annoying (running around or invading my personal space while the parent ignores them) that's when it becomes a problem. And I think the parents allowing the child to be annoying is more annoying than what the kid is actually doing.
As for talking, I completely agree with Fallen Angel. Yeah, kids are going to need something or ask questions or get fussy. That's not a problem when they do it quietly when in church or a theatre. The problem is when they start getting loud enough to annoy other audience members.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Fallen Angel, but I don't think you meant that Cirque is for kids who are paralyzed or can't speak (I'm dramatizing it, I know), but who are polite about such things. Everyone talks and moves around at theatres, but there's a difference between being polite about it and being rude...even where kids are concerned.

Sorry this post hasn't been a big help to you, Alztybrn.

jsfra209

bladerunner said:
Do they rent kid size straight jackets and muzzles in the lobby? Come on, kids are kids and while they shouldn't be spoiled, rude or misbehaving during a show the rule you point out is impossible for even the best behaved small child. Do you sit still for 90 minutes?<O:p></O:p>

Considering what I paid for a ticket every body in that audience better be quiet for 90min lol :lol:

Al;l kidding aside, if a child cannot behave and be still, then they should not come to the show. There's always next year. :kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom