??? Chef Mickey's - No more tableside Mickey ???

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I was on Facebook and saw a post from a group that Mickey will no longer be one of the tableside characters at Chef Mickey's...and that he'll be posing for pictures with guests in a photo spot area prior to the entry for the restaurant. The post said the rest of the main characters would still go table to table, but no more Mickey inside the restaurant.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? :confused:

Also, do you think this would be like any other photo op? i.e. we could use our own camera to take pics vs. having Disney photographer take the pro pic and charge us the obscene price tag for it :zipit:.

(I apologize if there's already a thread on this and my poor search skills caused me to miss it)

tookydo

I think its true. I was reading about this very issue last night on another board. Even wdwinfo picked up on the story. Folks are speculating that perhaps not many photos were being sold so they added Mickey to the pic. Chef Mickey's is always our first dinner of every trip, just became a tradition. Not sure if it would make me change my plans, but it sure is giving me second thoughts. I go to character meals to have the characters come to my table, not to have someone try to sell me a photo while I eat.

Roger321

No Table Side Mickey at Chef Mickey

:dazzle: I regret to say that it seems true. I just got back from my first trip to WDW. On Tuesday morning my wife and I took our 4 year old to Chef Mickey to celebrate his 5th birthday. We made ADRs 180 days in advance and I noted both at the time of the reservation and two days prior to our visit that it would be his birthday. We arrived 10 minutes ahead of the ADR time and found 25 families lined up in back of the hostess desk well into the lobby. Countless people were confused as to what was going on and I watched as several fathers approached the receptionist only to be told that they had to wait in That Line before a question could be answered.

Once we all waited (15 minutes or so) she told us that we could either wait about 10 more minutes to get a picture with Mickey against the photo wall they had created, or be seated. We naturally waited and got a few shots with Mickey, but he was supposed to come to the table. If I had wanted a meet and greet like they set up I would have visited the parks.

Once seated a great waitress said they were testing this new approach and that it was causing some trouble. I agreed. The only reason I can think of for doing it this way is that their photographers don't have to wander around to get pictures of Mickey which they will try and sell you later. Photopass is great and these shots should be included with the cost of the CD we bought.

As far as the birthday celebration went, there was nothing acknowledging our special day until after I got the waitresses attention and mentioned it for a third time. Then we got a very nice cupcake.

What is most important is that my boy had a great time seeing all the other characters at the table and that we got some great photos. If you want a great character experience go to Crystal Palace. This new approach is not very magical and should be discontinued immediately.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I guess I can only keep my fingers crossed that they go back to the previous format by the time we go in December. I won't hold my breath. :(

It's one of six character meals we're doing, but this was our first night dinner for our girls' first trip to WDW. Along the lines of the PP's comments- if I wanted to stand and pose with Mickey in front of some backdrop, I would have skipped the ressie and waited in line for one of the staged character meet and greets in the parks.

Yes, This is 100% True. Instead of having Goofy in the front, Mickey will be welcoming guests to his dinning experience. Sorry for all of the sad guests.

The Exact Date this will occur is: May 21st, 2011

Disneykidder

If the new approach is still being tested, then how can there be an exact date for it to be instated?

CM is a must on every trip. I will prob still go b ut this will really dampen the experience. They will be making $ on selling the photo instead of allowing us to take free shots at our table. We wait in too many lines to see Mickey. This is one wy to eat and see him at the same time. I will be really disappointed if this comes to really happen.

rkelly42

Well if this is true, I am not totally upset by it. The last time we ate at Chef Mickeys we had to wait 15mins after we finished eating before we got to have mickey come to out table and this was one of the two characters my daughter wanted to see. So at least everyone will definitely be able to get a picture with him. On the flip side if they start selling pictures with mickey then that will stink, but its better than having my daughter upset that she didnt even get to see him at all.

tiaragirl

I don't care for this at all. Part of the experience at Chef Mickey's, at least for my family, was the anticipation to have Mickey come around. If you're paying for character interaction, the characters should be out and about. Not impressed with this.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Yes, This is 100% True. Instead of having Goofy in the front, Mickey will be welcoming guests to his dinning experience. Sorry for all of the sad guests.

Goofy isn't in the front of the restaurant he does the rotation just like all the other characters. Mickey is already appearing at the front of the restaurant. If it is just a test and they find it a success I doubt they'd wait until spring to implement it.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

What? It's already happened.

And Goofy has never been in the front of the restaurant.

rkelly42

I see a running theme here, it seems that Disneyroks is full of a lot of bad info, and from a supposed (DWI????)WDI as well.

BrerKev

Well, I think it makes sense. Last I went, they were taking pictures in front of a dining plate back drop with no character. We passed on the picture. Why do I want to look like I am the entree? Putting a character in makes for a much better picture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom