Checking in a day early question

olie64

My wife and I are taking our kids to Disney in July. We booked through a travel agent friend (do not need to but figured why not). Any ways we are thinking about checking in a day early. We have free dining but would be getting in later in the day before. Anyways what I was wondering if we book a one night reservation for the same resort do you think it would be possible to get Disney to put us in the room we were going to be in to get for our other reservation?

In case that was confusing:

We check in to our package room on July 6. We know are most likely going to be in Orlando July 5th. Since free dining has closed i do not think we can add the day to the package.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They will try, but it is not guaranteed. Just let the CM know you have a split stay and they will do their best to accommodate you. It is better for them to keep you in the same room so they will not move you unless they have no choice.

I have done several split stays at the same resort for the same reason and I have never had to move, but there are a myriad of reasons why it might not always be possible.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

How late are you getting in the day before? Just asking to think about if it's worth the price for an extra day if you're getting in really late when you can stay offsite for a little cheaper. If you're getting in at a reasonable hour then I would try for WDW.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

My wife and I are taking our kids to Disney in July. We booked through a travel agent friend (do not need to but figured why not). Any ways we are thinking about checking in a day early. We have free dining but would be getting in later in the day before. Anyways what I was wondering if we book a one night reservation for the same resort do you think it would be possible to get Disney to put us in the room we were going to be in to get for our other reservation?

In case that was confusing:

We check in to our package room on July 6. We know are most likely going to be in Orlando July 5th. Since free dining has closed i do not think we can add the day to the package.

I had the same problem due to a flight change and having to leave a day earlier. I called Disney and they did offer to extend my reservation with the free dining at POR for the day earlier, but my room category was not available. All they had that would include the extra day was a themed room and it was going to cost be nearly $1000 more on top of what I already paid for my reservation. I was also offered a room only reservation for a pool view room at POR. I opted to not book the additional day via either option, but instead booked an one-night stay at Poly through renting points and paid the same amount as an one night room only reservation I would have spent on the pool view room. I was going to have to move from the room to another one regardless what option they offered me as the themed room was not really an option for our family. It never hurts to give them a call though and see what your options are before making a decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

olie64

Original Poster
How late are you getting in the day before? Just asking to think about if it's worth the price for an extra day if you're getting in really late when you can stay offsite for a little cheaper. If you're getting in at a reasonable hour then I would try for WDW.

to be honest it is depended could be at noon or at 8 pm depends on the 4th. We are either going to be spending it in Knoxville or in St. Mary's Ga. We also thought about doing offsite, but if we could do it and not have to move room that would be nice

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

to be honest it is depended could be at noon or at 8 pm depends on the 4th. We are either going to be spending it in Knoxville or in St. Mary's Ga. We also thought about doing offsite, but if we could do it and not have to move room that would be nice
Sounds like you'll be there at a decent time so I would go for trying to add the extra day. As others have posted if you contact them ahead of time they usually are able to accommodate the request.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

It's never guaranteed, but we did the same thing a couple of years ago. (We had a 1-night room-only reservation at CBR, followed by a 5-day package at CBR with 7-day parkhoppers and "free" dining). Since both reservations were for the same room/view category, I just asked at check-in if we could be assigned the same room for both parts of our stay so we didn't have to switch, which the CM was able to do (and the CM was able to "activate" our tickets early: we couldn't otherwise have used them until the next day since they were tied to the package reservation, and she made Fastpasses for us for our arrival day, since MDE had only let us make 60-day advance Fastpasses for our package arrival day and thereafter - having her do it was much faster than using the app ourselves, since on her computer she could, at a glance, see every FP timeslot that was available for every ride, and when, for an entire park.)

The downside (besides not being able to make Fasptasses for our arrival day until after we got on property and got our tickets activated "early") was that I couldn't take care of the checkout/check in remotely: I was told I had to physically go back to the front desk the next morning and engage in the exercise of formally checking out of our room, so they could immediately check us right back into it again. Still, it was nothing compared with the inconvenience of changing rooms, so I was glad to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's never guaranteed, but we did the same thing a couple of years ago. (We had a 1-night room-only reservation at CBR, followed by a 5-day package at CBR with 7-day parkhoppers and "free" dining). Since both reservations were for the same room/view category, I just asked at check-in if we could be assigned the same room for both parts of our stay so we didn't have to switch, which the CM was able to do (and the CM was able to "activate" our tickets early: we couldn't otherwise have used them until the next day since they were tied to the package reservation, and she made Fastpasses for us for our arrival day, since MDE had only let us make 60-day advance Fastpasses for our package arrival day and thereafter - having her do it was much faster than using the app ourselves, since on her computer she could, at a glance, see every FP timeslot that was available for every ride, and when, for an entire park.)

The downside (besides not being able to make Fasptasses for our arrival day until after we got on property and got our tickets activated "early") was that I couldn't take care of the checkout/check in remotely: I was told I had to physically go back to the front desk the next morning and engage in the exercise of formally checking out of our room, so they could immediately check us right back into it again. Still, it was nothing compared with the inconvenience of changing rooms, so I was glad to do it.

That was my experience, also, having to visit the front desk to check out and back in. Not an issue, especially as I'd added a day at the end of our trip for my daughter's wedding and it was my screw up on the date we were checking out. Took maybe 5 minutes once I got to the front desk.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

Something to note for the benefit of the OP.

With the new date-based tickets, it is no longer possible to activate tickets within a package early. If you have stand-alone tickets with a room-only booking, you can but you might have to pay more to do so. Also you could only do this ahead of time if you bought direct from Disney.

Speak to your TA and see if they can adjust your package first.

Upvote 0

olie64

Original Poster

With the new date-based tickets, it is no longer possible to activate tickets within a package early. If you have stand-alone tickets with a room-only booking, you can but you might have to pay more to do so. Also you could only do this ahead of time if you bought direct from Disney.

We do not need to activate tickets early.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Ah, thank you for the correction! This is what I get for waiting so long in between visits. :)

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
We do not need to activate tickets early.

Fair enough then! So the only issue is whether you’ll have to move rooms. Nothing is guaranteed, we’re one from two on that, but hopefully if the reservations are linked they’ll be able to accommodate. I would suggest you do stop by the desk on arrival and remind them you have a continuing reservation.

Upvote 0

olie64

Original Poster
Fair enough then! So the only issue is whether you’ll have to move rooms. Nothing is guaranteed, we’re one from two on that, but hopefully if the reservations are linked they’ll be able to accommodate. I would suggest you do stop by the desk on arrival and remind them you have a continuing reservation.

Thank you and everyone for the great advise.

After talking with TA she was able to get it to work for us

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom