Characters in flight

DonaldDuckQuackers

Original Poster
One of the (many) things I've been looking at for upcoming trip was hot air balloon rides but being someone who isn't great with heights and prefer the feeling of stability I wasn't entirely sure it was for me. The stunning views and photo opportunities definitely appeal to this photography nut but the thought of it not feeling stable doesn't appeal to me.

Bare in mind I love flying (as in aeroplane) as I feel stable and looking down from up there isn't a problem so looking down from great height isn't the issue I suppose it's more the feeling of not being safe from a height that is the issue.

So with this in mind can anyone tell me if the Disney Characters in flight balloon (Disney Springs) is a better alternative? It appears to have netting or some form of caging around it from photos which could potentially help make it feel more secure but how about the stability when it's up? Does it wobble? Or feel like it may fall or break at all? All information welcome.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
One of the (many) things I've been looking at for upcoming trip was hot air balloon rides but being someone who isn't great with heights and prefer the feeling of stability I wasn't entirely sure it was for me. The stunning views and photo opportunities definitely appeal to this photography nut but the thought of it not feeling stable doesn't appeal to me.

Bare in mind I love flying (as in aeroplane) as I feel stable and looking down from up there isn't a problem so looking down from great height isn't the issue I suppose it's more the feeling of not being safe from a height that is the issue.

So with this in mind can anyone tell me if the Disney Characters in flight balloon (Disney Springs) is a better alternative? It appears to have netting or some form of caging around it from photos which could potentially help make it feel more secure but how about the stability when it's up? Does it wobble? Or feel like it may fall or break at all? All information welcome.
If there is no wind, it is very stable. But on a windy day, it shifts around quite a bit. So if you are planning to do it, watch the weather and go on a very calm day.

MMDVC

I guess it has "helped" you with planes because of familiarity and intellectually knowing what to expect.
Usually CiF is "grounded" with winds and does not operate. They want it to be safer more than you do. Allow your brain to rationalize that children are onboard and Disney has not strapped you down with over shoulder restraints. That is how I talk myself into some of the attractions. ( I used to be afraid of drop in Pirates)...
I have been on the Flight a few times and am prepared for the jolt when the uppermost stretch has been reached and for the landing which can be bumpy as it sometimes takes a few jumps to stop itself and be chained back down to ground. Just be sure to hold onto to the sides and allow yourself to feel secure. Try looking straight out and not down and by your second flight you will be much braver.
I also tell myself if I something happens at least my family will know I was happy at Disney...

DonaldDuckQuackers

Original Poster
I guess it has "helped" you with planes because of familiarity and intellectually knowing what to expect.
Usually CiF is "grounded" with winds and does not operate. They want it to be safer more than you do. Allow your brain to rationalize that children are onboard and Disney has not strapped you down with over shoulder restraints. That is how I talk myself into some of the attractions. ( I used to be afraid of drop in Pirates)...
I have been on the Flight a few times and am prepared for the jolt when the uppermost stretch has been reached and for the landing which can be bumpy as it sometimes takes a few jumps to stop itself and be chained back down to ground. Just be sure to hold onto to the sides and allow yourself to feel secure. Try looking straight out and not down and by your second flight you will be much braver.
I also tell myself if I something happens at least my family will know I was happy at Disney...

Your attitude to it is lovely and I agree if it was dangerous there would be strap in requirements i expect.
Last trip the weather was awful most of our visit so I hope we at least get some nice weather this time, just a couple of full days will do (anything better than last time where I don't think we had a single full 24 hours of sun in the same day and possibly only 2-4 days of sun in total (if you added up all the hours) out of a 3 week visit so I hope if we do have nicer weather this time we can try to do this as the sun is setting and the lights around Disney are coming on.

JIMINYCR

Weve taken hot air balloon flights before and on our last Disney trip did Characters in Flight. Disneys attraction is very different but a very peaceful process. The balloon is winched up and down on a cable so its pretty smooth and there isnt any rough landings. Slight bumps, nothing that jars you or knocks you around. You do get some good photo opportunities but because you are stable in one spot it does limit you. They will cancel rides because of winds or poor weather, which happened to us on two previous trips. You have the ability to walk around the balloon to get different views and photos of the surrounding areas. it is netted in but you can get your camera lens situated to get clear shots. DW was able to take the flight in her w/c and have her service dog with her. We did get a nice certificate commemorating the flight.

DonaldDuckQuackers

Original Poster
Weve taken hot air balloon flights before and on our last Disney trip did Characters in Flight. Disneys attraction is very different but a very peaceful process. The balloon is winched up and down on a cable so its pretty smooth and there isnt any rough landings. Slight bumps, nothing that jars you or knocks you around. You do get some good photo opportunities but because you are stable in one spot it does limit you. They will cancel rides because of winds or poor weather, which happened to us on two previous trips. You have the ability to walk around the balloon to get different views and photos of the surrounding areas. it is netted in but you can get your camera lens situated to get clear shots. DW was able to take the flight in her w/c and have her service dog with her. We did get a nice certificate commemorating the flight.

Sounds like you had a lovely experience I think for the first time trying anything like this I welcome the fact it's tied to one place and doesn't move around too much it's those knocks and jars that scare me when I think about wether I could go on a hot air balloon ride, as I say the idea is amazing but I fear it would be something I regretted once it started going up.

JIMINYCR

Wow - I can't imagine what a dog must think when the ground starts dropping away!
The way the gondola is designed, she couldnt see the ground disapear. But shes got a very stable, confident temperment and nothing disturbs her. She had been taken to WDW by her puppy raiser a couple of times before she went into training, had her photo taken in front of the castle, and with all the princesses. Weve taken her back twice since my DW got her.

bethymouse

I was a bit unstable once I got to the top... trying to take pictures through the "net". I felt kind of dizzy when I was all the way up. The ride up and down is smooth, and it's probably as close to a hot air balloon ride that I will get. ;) It was just myself and my son, so the price wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't pay $$ to do it again.:)

GVentola

I've been on a couple of times. The first time I was nervous, having a bit of a heights phobia. I was worried, as you are, about not feeling secure. I think I could ride any ride if I at least felt secure. But the flight was smooth, I felt secure, and I'm glad I chanced it.

cheesecake

It was a very steady ride! I went with my mom and brother (who is fearless) not long after it opened, and it was very nice and I don't really remember it being rough at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom