Characters at Special Events etc...

Greenlawler

Original Poster
Well, time to get on a soap box. I am new to this site but I know that there are a large number of employees of the parks who read these posts. My family and I have been yearly visitors for quite sometime. My world changed when my oldest son discovered the characters were fun and not going to eat him. Now I love seeing my kids and the characters interact and we have become full flegged character finders. So we have gravitated to finding the oddities. (I realize a whole lot of you dislike the whole meet and greet angle..so there is no reason for you to continue reading unless your killing time.)
A couple of years ago we hit the Halloween Party for the first time and man it was fantastic so many new characters. So we decided we have to come back next year, and we can't miss the Christmas event. Much to our suprise the Halloween event the next year was roughly the same except the villians were only doing pictures. According to people we have talked to 2004 was also the same format with a similar lineup of characters. Judging by the lists I have seen the Christmas party with one exception or two will be the same characters as the Haloween party.
Well so what? Well you would think management would put an emaphasis on putting some new life every year in the special events. I don't understand having the same old Alice trail every year (no offense to you Alice fans), having the standard villians at the castle.
The parks have done a fairly good job mixing up the characters during regular hours, pulling out some oddities every so often, but you would think a special event would be well, special in every way, characters included. How about a villian area at the MNSSHP, or Huey, Dewey, and Louie at MVMCP? Why not bring out the characters that march in the parades at the events for meet and greets like Stromboli, Clara Cluck, The Three Pigs or others. I may be wrong but I think there are a whole lot of us out there who love finding the rare characters.
As for the regular days, it has gotten to the point where my family can be at the parks for a week including a special event and only find 5 or so characters we have not met before. I understand the Big 5, Chipmunks, Stitch and Princeses will be everywhere, but come on, there are so many great characters who need to see some daylight. Why not let some of the lesser known charecters who are out a lot rest, and put some others in their place? As a newer person to this community I realize this is probably an old rant and I may be preaching to the choir, so how can this opinion be heard?

kennygman

I agree there should be more unique characters out for special events. That adds to the atmosphere. At least at Christmas and Halloween they are dressed differently. How many times do we need to meet Chip and Dale though? They are like Chipmunks...they are everywhere. Put the big 5 in every park and then mix it up more.

We met 55 different characters (and didn't do World Showcase) on our last 9/8 trip. Most provided autographs or stamps along with the photo. I know King Louie's hands didn't allow for it. I've found that MGM and MK seem to the best for characters.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
We ususally average about 50-60 characters each trip, Only 8 this year were new to us and thats a high number of new ones. When Epcot had the bus it was a great place, and world showcase has been really picking up characters lately. Animal Kingdom has traditionaly been the worst for us.
But the real downer was we absolutly met no one we had not before at MNSSHP.

kennygman

Yeah, about 5-10 might be different characters each time. We finally found Pocahontas at Rafiki's last time. Saw Max at Epcot.

Gorjus

Oh, how do I put this ....

Minor characters don't have enough friends to help them so they don't come out and play more often.

Piebald

Although I'm not in Entertaniment I would assume it has to do with staffing issues. Mickey has like 300+ different outfits whereas someone like Darkwing Duck may only have one cape and hat to wear around. Maybe he only likes going out on special ocassions and doesn't need to do as much laundry . :wave:

Does anyone see where I am going with this? I'm sure someone from entertainment can give you a better explanation.

Sir Hiss527

I think some of the lesser characters might have less costumes around the world to do sets with. Basically, there might not be enough costumes for that specific character. Or the majority of people do not know who even some of the characters are. Disney probablly likes to stick to the MAIN characters where the most people will know who the heck they are. But who else would you really like to see? And your not happy with the choice Disney is making someone should (write, call, or email) them.

I

Mecha Figment

Although I'm not in Entertaniment I would assume it has to do with staffing issues. Mickey has like 300+ different outfits whereas someone like Darkwing Duck may only have one cape and hat to wear around. Maybe he only likes going out on special ocassions and doesn't need to do as much laundry . :wave:

Does anyone see where I am going with this? I'm sure someone from entertainment can give you a better explanation.

You are correct. :xmas:

kennygman

I can see that there is only so many characters they can offer on a regular basis, but two things here: One they can offer DIFFERENT characters at each park. Do the big 5, then mix it up. Two they SHOULD offer MANY and DIFFERENT characters at the parties. We're paying a lot of money to come in only to find the same old characters. They may be wearing different outfits, but I'd like to find some obscure characters out enjoying the Party.

Gorjus

I can see that there is only so many characters they can offer on a regular basis, but two things here: One they can offer DIFFERENT characters at each park. Do the big 5, then mix it up. Two they SHOULD offer MANY and DIFFERENT characters at the parties. We're paying a lot of money to come in only to find the same old characters. They may be wearing different outfits, but I'd like to find some obscure characters out enjoying the Party.

It isn't good or bad, but you are in the minority. Most want to see their favorites. The lines to see the minor characters aren't usually very long. So they make sure the big 5 have as many "appearances" as possible. And while they may have enough "outfits" to supply a parade with a variety of characters, when it comes to meet and greet, they make sure Mickey as as many "outfits" as possible since he is the most popular.

In fact they are currently searching for more "outfits" to bring on board. However, the Great Clothes Maker up above only made so many outfits of a certain size. And most of those outfits go to clothe the favorites.

I hope this analogy is working.

kennygman

It isn't good or bad, but you are in the minority. Most want to see their favorites. The lines to see the minor characters aren't usually very long. So they make sure the big 5 have as many "appearances" as possible. And while they may have enough "outfits" to supply a parade with a variety of characters, when it comes to meet and greet, they make sure Mickey as as many "outfits" as possible since he is the most popular.

In fact they are currently searching for more "outfits" to bring on board. However, the Great Clothes Maker up above only made so many outfits of a certain size. And most of those outfits go to clothe the favorites.

I hope this analogy is working.

I said, "Do the big 5." Our even the big 20. (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Pluto, Prinesses...) We are actually in agreement on that point. Everyone would like to see them, especially in different outfits. I like Sorcerer Mickey, regular Mickey, Farmer Mickey, AK Mickey, Space Mickey, Christmas Mickey for example. The kids get one autograph and multiple pics.

My point is that for special events the characters should be EVERYWHERE and lots of unique ones too. We are paying a lot of money for 5 hours and we get a parade a show and fireworks. Twas the Night is now offered during day hours. I don't think it is too much to ask to add staff to provide LOTS of characters. Especially since they have taken away stuff like the button, photo, CB Christmas and Belle's Christmas in the last two years while raising the prices 20-30%.

Take some characters from AK and move them to MK for the Party. AK closes at 5 so it shouldn't be a problem.

New2WDW

Good Points KennyG!

Disney could always swap the characters time out. For instance, have say Donald out in the morning at MK and then after a certain time that character spot can be replaced by Max for the rest of the day at MK or something like that.

OR

While the parade is going on with all the popular characters let the staff dress in the less seen characters in other parts of the park! Unless of course the staff is doing the parade and that is why there aren't any characters out and about?:veryconfu

Gorjus

We are paying a lot of money for 5 hours and we get a parade a show and fireworks. ...........I don't think it is too much to ask to add staff to provide LOTS of characters........
Take some characters from AK and move them to MK for the Party. AK closes at 5 so it shouldn't be a problem.

I see your point, but most don't care about the minor characters. Their kids don't know who they are. It is supply and demand. It is a lot like those that want Wonders of Life open all the time. It isn't popular. And therefore it is a more efficient use of staff to keep it closed and send them where MOST people want to be. And it is easy to say move characters from one park to another, but Mickey and the gang do need to eat and sleep at some point.

You know, it was always my understanding that you were paying for the opportunity to have a park with low attendance plus a couple of extras.

I agree that MVMCP is a lot of money to spend. It is why I've never purchased a ticket.

Gorjus

PeaJay18

While the parade is going on with all the popular characters let the staff dress in the less seen characters in other parts of the park! Unless of course the staff is doing the parade and that is why there aren't any characters out and about?:veryconfu

What does this mean? Staff dressing IN the less seen characters? Sounds painful for the characters who are, after all, real flesh and blood. ;)

Anyhoo - what are the odds of seeing Herc, Meg, Kronk, Pain, Panic, Quasimodo, Launchpad and Von Drake around?
And how hard can it be to bring them out for MNSSHP?
However, we should be thankful for Clarabelle and Horace appearing...

Gorjus

Good Points KennyG!

Disney could always swap the characters time out. For instance, have say Donald out in the morning at MK and then after a certain time that character spot can be replaced by Max for the rest of the day at MK or something like that.

OR

But what do you do with the family that came in the afternoon and wanted to see Donald. They would be disappointed with Max.

And during the parade, every character is in the parade.

New2WDW

What does this mean? Staff dressing IN the less seen characters? Sounds painful for the characters who are, after all, real flesh and blood.

Sorry about my terms. What about dress up as....that might be better.:lol:

A while back someone posted a spreadsheet that showed the location and times of the characters throughout the park. Does anyone know of it?

drew81

After meeting 176 different Disney characters I know what you all are saying. It does get old seeing the same ones all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom