Character Experiences

jennemm

Original Poster
My husband and I will be traveling to DW for the first time with our 4 1/2 yr. old daughter in two weeks and I made plenty of ADRs for our trip thinking it would be the best way for our daughter to meet the characters. I am second guessing all of these ADRs and thinking that we are going to be there for 8 days and will have plenty of time to meet the characters since it is October. I am wondering what others might recommend---should I keep all of these (one character meal almost everyday) or choose a few and then research other restaurants (i.e. Teppanyaki) for something we might enjoy besides character stuff? Also, we will be attending MNSSHP which will give us another opportunity to meet characters. I would love to hear what others would suggest.

Thanks in advance,
Jenn

Main Street USA

Seems to me that meet and greet opportunities have only gone up in recent months, and therefore, I would call the ADR's unnecessary if that's your only reason for choosing those particular eating establishments.

Just my opinion (based on experience) but I say take half of those days and pick a restaurant for you and your hubby. Your daughter will still enjoy herself, and nearly everyplace has something that your daughter will like. :)

Mr.Stitch

I know my daughter (and us too) loves the chance to meet characters whenever possible. She was scared of them the fist time she went (she was 6 at the time) but now (about 2 years later) she really loves them and usually takes every opportunity to meet them.

I think a character dining experience at the beginning of your trip, is a good way to get your child comfortable with them.

If money or time isn't a problem then I say do 1 every day. This can save you time in the parks as you won't have to stop as much to meet characters you already met. But you can take a lot more time eating at table service meals (plan on at least 1 - 1.5 hours per table service meal) plus the cost is high for most sit down meals - if you're on the dining plan then no worries.

We are going at the end of next week and have the dining plan and have booked 4 character meals. The food is usually good and it's always fun to meet the characters - I think that it helps to set Disney apart from the others parks. Where else can you have Pooh, Cinderella or Stitch come to your table to visit while you are eating?

One more thing... character meals are also a convenient way of collecting photos and autographs of your fav characters w/o standing in line. For example you can eat at the storybook breakfast in Epcot to see most of the Princesses in one shot (except Cinderella - she is only at the Castle for breakfast) - this is great if your daughter is a fan of the Disney Princesses (unless she is a fan of Cinderella). We ate there last year (eating there again this trip) & met - Mulan, Aurora, Belle, Snow White & Jasmine.

Mr.Stitch

To eat or not to eat - that is the question....

I know my daughter (and us too) loves the chance to meet characters whenever possible. She was scared of them the fist time she went (she was 6 at the time) but now (about 2 years later) she really loves them and usually takes every opportunity to meet them.

I think a character dining experience at the beginning of your trip, is a good way to get your child comfortable with them.

If money or time isn't a problem then I say do 1 every day. This can save you time in the parks as you won't have to stop as much to meet characters you already met. But you can take a lot more time eating at table service meals (plan on at least 1 - 1.5 hours per table service meal) plus the cost is high for most sit down meals - if you're on the dining plan then no worries.

We are going at the end of next week and have the dining plan and have booked 4 character meals. The food is usually good and it's always fun to meet the characters - I think that it helps to set Disney apart from the others parks. Where else can you have Pooh, Cinderella or Stitch come to your table to visit while you are eating? I also find they can be a very memorable experience - on a previous trip my daughter wouldn't stop talking to eat (too excited), so when Meeko (we ate at Liberty Tree)came by he saw this & actually fed her the desert she wouldn't eat! Very funny!

One more thing... character meals are also a convenient way of collecting photos and autographs of your fav characters w/o standing in line. For example you can eat at the storybook breakfast in Epcot to see most of the Princesses in one shot (except Cinderella - she is only at the Castle for breakfast) - this is great if your daughter is a fan of the Disney Princesses (unless she is a fan of Cinderella). We ate there last year (eating there again this trip) & met - Mulan, Aurora, Belle, Snow White & Jasmine.

character experience

I think for your first visit with your daughter - the parks have plenty of characters around and it is so much fun to come across them in the parks, since you never know who you will run into it is always like a surprise - I always felt seeing the characters in the parks was much more exciting. Not sure which character meals you have booked, but for an 8 day trip it is probably a good idea just to keep 2, maybe 3, with different character lineups. Hey - I don't suppose you have ADR for breakfast at Chef Mickey's on Friday, October 6th that you are rethinking, do you??????????????
2 weeks ago, I was able to extend our vacation to leave Saturday instead of Friday and I really wanted to go to Chef Mickey's, but it is fully booked. I have been calling every day to see if any cancellations, but no luck:(

WENDYDARLING#1

Jenn, I hope you all have a very Magical trip. Don't forget about ToonTown at the MK. Princess, Mickey and Pals, along with Pooh and friends are ALWAYS there. (characters are subject to change) The CM allow only 10 (approx. +- ) guests in at a time for the meet and greet. Quality time!!!
Some of the Character meal, just lately, seem to have the characters rushed for time! A lot of ground to cover and guests to meet!
Have fun!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Character Meals are by far the best way to meet some of the more popular characters in a (usually) relaxed atmosphere.
My suggestions would include -
Crystal Palace, Donalds Breakfastosaurus and Chef Mickeys.

From experience during my last trip (3 weeks during August 06) I would disagree with the statement that the characters are rushing from table to table

jennemm

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the replies...I believe I am going to check over what we have planned and rethink eating at so many...mostly ones that are the same characters.

CantGoEnough---we don't have ressies for Chef Mikey's at all. Have a great time.

Jenn

drew81

I like doing both. At character meals they come to you. At meet n greets at the park you have know where to look and it does take time. MNSSHP is a great chence to find some characters you usually wouldn't see. Have fun!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom