Character Dining - which one to try next!?

Each time we go to WDW, we like to try different character dining options. So far we've tried Cape May (loved it), O'Hana (loved it), and also Crystal Palace (pretty indifferent).

We really wanted to go back to Cape May, but as I mentioned, we want to try a new one. My daughter who will be 2 and a half, loves Playhouse Disney so was thinking the one at Hollywood Studios.

Any thoughts on good places to go?

AJScooch

I think over the years, we've done just about all of them. When we went in Aug. '09 with our DD (16 months at the time) for the first time, we did a bunch of them. One that we went to for the first time and really loved was Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian. Cinderella, Prince Charming, the step mother and step sisters as well as the fairy godmother are there. The food is really great. It's almost like an international buffet. There are so many varieties of food. In addition, during dinner, Cinderella and Prince Charming do a waltz and then select diners to join in and dance with them. My daughter was able to dance with Prince Charming and then with Cinderella. It was really great.

My DD also loves Playhouse Disney and we also went to lunch at H&V in DHS. The food was pretty good and the characters were great. We are really excited about going back this August because of Special Agent OSO being there.

Enjoy your trip and your meals.

Upvote 0

limeleo

On our last trip in May '10 we did Akershus for lunch. I think this restaurant is definitely geared towards the adults who still want to visit with the characters. It was one meal redemption on the dining plan, you get to meet most of the princesses (Aurora, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, and Jasmine were at ours) and we got a souvenir picture with Aurora included in the price. The food has a Norwegian twist, which we thought was really cool. We're two 20-something guys and absolutely loved it! I would choose this over Cinderella's if I was strictly going for the meet and greet and food. The restaurant is themed nicely and is a great value, but I can still appreciate the draw to eating in the castle. :) My mom and I are arriving tomorrow night and have this one booked for lunch one day of our trip because I insisted!

Tusker House is great, too, except for the fact that Donald only meets outside and you have to pay for the picture with him. Mickey, Goofy, and Daisy were inside making rounds and there's a cute little parade which could be fun for the kids.

Ohana breakfast with Lilo & Stitch (and Mickey and Pluto) is a favorite, too! Family style food, view of the Magic Kingdom, and you can hop right on the monorail afterward! And there's a parade here, too!

My (current) top recommendation would have to be Akershus, hands down.

Upvote 0

DisneyFan1003

We really like Chef Mickey's for breakfast. Normally, as posted above, the food at these meals is secondary to the characters. However, when we went back in June, it was probably one of the best breafasts we've had at WDW!

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

Hollywood & Vine is pretty disappointing! It is only JoJo's circus and Baby Einstiens. No Manny, No Oso, and nothing else form playhouse disney!

You probably would like 1900 Park & Fare - Alice in Wonderland, Mary Poppins, Mad Hatter, and more. My kids loved that one (they were 18 months when they went there). Akershaus is another good one as well!
We tried H & V last trip and the buffet was nothing special. The characters were unique. I would go to Tusker House for the "standard" buffet, it has a few more choices.

For the little princess I would have to say Cinderella's first and then Akershaus.

Upvote 0

jandersonlj

Garden Grill is a must-do for us on every trip! The characters, especially Chip and Dale, seem to take more time at the table than at other places. Food is really good too.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We will only go back to Chef Mickey's for breakfast. The last two dinners we had were beyond bad. So much for second chances. I don't just mean the food was bad, the service was bad and it looked and felt dirty. Seems like they were rushing lots of people through and not allowing enough clean up time in between.

Upvote 0

Bender!

I always have one breakfast at Chef Mickey's. As some others have said, its LOUD. But The characters and food are generally very good here.

Cape May is excellent. Its quiet, the characters are very lovable and interactive (Goofy, Minnie, Donald, and Chip/Dale). The food is also very good.

Crystal Palace was really meh. We went with our friends cause one of them really loved Pooh. But I didn't like any of the food, and I wasn't a big fan of Pooh and the gang. The characters were very dull. Never went back.

That's all I've ever gone to. When I go in April I'm going to try O'Hanna (because I LOVE Stitch). So I'm hoping thats a good one.

Upvote 0

notslim99

My wife and I are doing Cinderella's table, but it's just the two of us. Crystal Palace was fun for our three year old when we went last year.

Also, your avator image is killer. Have fun!

Upvote 0

disneyny

My son loves Playhouse Disney too and since Oso and Manny are there now we are gonna try it in February. We had dinner there once for the Fantasmic package and I wasn't impressed but for him we are gonna try the lunch. I hope he loves it!

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

I'm surprised more people don't enjoy Garden Grill, but I'd recommend that. Crystal Palace has always been great for me. Remember, the characters there are supposed to be slow moving and low energy besides Tigger. Tigger always bounces around while I'm there and even danced with us, lol.

Garden Grill is expensive, but the best character interaction I've had. They were all great!

Upvote 0

Jo DeVil

We go to the world for my sons birthday in Oct, he turned 6 last year. For the last 3 birthdays they have been at O'Hana because of Lilo and Stitch but we also did Breakfast at Cape Mays, Tuskers, Chef Mickeys, Crystal palace and Hollywood & Vine, my son loves OSO we hadn't told him that JO Jo had gone and OSO would be there his face when OSO came out was amazing for that reason alone it was worth every penny, I do like the set up there as the kids can see the characters coming but can see a pattern and route, so getting them to eat the food which is good is an added bonus. We have also done The Garden Grill for dinner, which is good for the characters but the food is so-so, Then again we do like the Signature restaurants. Oh buy the way we do go for a fortnight each time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom