Character breakfasts...

Bodyfather

Original Poster
...besides the characters you meet, is there any real difference in standards between them? Potentially looking at booking Ohana's for my next trip, but are there any better experiences anyone would recommend?

Jon81uk

'Ohana will probably have slightly better food that most.
The other difference is that 'Ohana and Garden Grill are family style with the food brought to you (which is more relaxing) whereas Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace etc are regular buffet so you have to walk up and fetch it which can be harder with children. The family style food may also be a bit fresher.

Bodyfather

Original Poster
'Ohana will probably have slightly better food that most.
The other difference is that 'Ohana and Garden Grill are family style with the food brought to you (which is more relaxing) whereas Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace etc are regular buffet so you have to walk up and fetch it which can be harder with children. The family style food may also be a bit fresher.
Thanks! Thinking about booking Garden Grill as a dinner reservation separately aswell

Club Cooloholic

Thanks! Thinking about booking Garden Grill as a dinner reservation separately aswell
For these types of breakfasts, who the characters are is usually most important. If your kids don't like Lilo and Stitch, Ohana is not going to be a good idea, if they love them, its great.
Post Edit: there is a Tangled breakfast at the Boardwalk Italian restaurant that looks a step above the usual, it is not a buffet

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

For these types of breakfasts, who the characters are is usually most important. If your kids don't like Lilo and Stitch, Ohana is not going to be a good idea, if they love them, its great.
Post Edit: there is a Tangled breakfast at the Boardwalk Italian restaurant that looks a step above the usual, it is not a buffet

The Boardwalk breakfast and CRT have the best food. Both are brought to your table instead of a buffet.

But as you said, the character mix is the most important thing to look for. That's the whole reason you're going.

EmmieSue

Unpopular opinion, but Ohana is my least favorite in terms of food and also service. Maybe I have just had a rare bad experience every time we went there though. We've had dirty plates and silverware given to us. Waitstaff that is not attentive (took ages to get drinks or refills or check). The bacon is never crispy there (not a big deal for some, but I like mine crispy lol). The potatoes were gross. Smaller variety of food. Just not a fan.

HouCuseChickie

'Ohana isn't bad, but I don't think the food is particularly interesting. I know some people with little ones tend to prefer a family style or menu based meal, since hitting the buffet can be a challenge, but I think the buffets give you a lot more variety over what you get at 'Ohana. I think Garden Grill's offerings are a bit better IMO if you want family style, but Bon Voyage has probably been our favorite non-buffet character breakfast.

cdeev8690

People have been thrilled with the new character breakfast at Topolino's. I normally stray from character meals but the food and the atmosphere look amazing. I'm really excited to try it!

JIMINYCR

You should look into the 1900 Park Fare at the GF. Weve been there multiple times and weve found the characters spend more time interacting at the table than any other place weve been.

Club Cooloholic

You should look into the 1900 Park Fare at the GF. Weve been there multiple times and weve found the characters spend more time interacting at the table than any other place weve been.
I guess depends on the day, Park Fare was the worst character meal we ever had. We saw 2 characters after being there well over an hour and half.

Kevin_W

The food is quite a bit different than the standard buffet at a couple - Tusker House and Akershus come to mind. I enjoy a late seating at Tusker House when they cross over to lunch items on the buffet during your meal. At Akershus, I really enjoy their cheesy potatoes and bacon, and can probably eat half my bodyweight in gjetost on a crossant.

kwoodfan1

I also think Ohanas breakfast is average at best. Just not a lot of options. Our favorite character breakfast is Cape May Café at the Beach Club. Great characters and nice selection of food. Do it on an Epcot day and use the International Gateway entrance after you eat.

JillC LI

Yes, and you can't beat the Mad Hatter for fun. Plus, Park Fare's breakfast has their famous strawberry soup which I don't think you can get elsewhere.

Weather_Lady

The only character breakfast we've ever done was 'Ohana. We thought it was a total waste of time ("we sacrificed rope drop for this!??!") and money, even at 2012 prices, which were $21 per person -- now they've inexplicably doubled to $42 per person for the same crappy food!!! We had small portions of pedestrian eggs, sausage and waffles along the lines of a budget hotel continental breakfast (with hot items stone cold by the time they got to us), inattentive service (all-you-care-to-enjoy only works if your server comes to the table more than once!), and character interactions so rushed that in the case of Stitch, in the 5 seconds it took me to raise my camera from my lap and switch it on as he approached to give my kids a quick pat on the head, he was already gone!

It was so bad, we haven't done another character breakfast since -- nor would we ever, at current prices, unless the menu included lobster tails, free massages and a meet-and-greet with Jason Momoa. ;)

Last edited:

RememberWhen

We really like Cape May. We’ve had pretty great character interactions there. Usually they’ve come through at least twice. This most recent trip each one came at least 3 times and the kids loved it!
we also do crystal palace, but the characters do take forever...

JusticeDisney

Cape May Cafe is the best character breakfast in terms of both the food and the character interactions, IMHO. I would recommend doing this one over all of the rest. That said, whichever one you choose, I hope you have a great time!

Club Cooloholic

The only character breakfast we've ever done was 'Ohana. We thought it was a total waste of time ("we sacrificed rope drop for this!??!") and money, even at 2012 prices, which were $21 per person -- now they've inexplicably doubled to $42 per person for the same crappy food!!! We had small portions of pedestrian eggs, sausage and waffles along the lines of a budget hotel continental breakfast (with hot items stone cold by the time they got to us), inattentive service (all-you-care-to-enjoy only works if your server comes to the table more than once!), and character interactions so rushed that in the case of Stitch, in the 5 seconds it took me to raise my camera from my lap and switch it on as he approached to give my kids a quick pat on the head, he was already gone!

It was so bad, we haven't done another character breakfast since -- nor would we ever, at current prices, unless the menu included lobster tails, free massages and a meet-and-greet with Jason Momoa. ;)
I have not done many Character breakfasts, for this exact reason, I don't want to myself feel I need to rush because I am missing park time, and I find that they are overcrowded and rushed on the service end as well. Honestly after our last Park Fare debacle of a dinner, we might be done with character meals for awhile unless on a dining plan. Like you mentioned, the prices are getting ridiculous while what you get for them is not improving.

eliza61nyc

Our favorites are crystal Palace and Cape May buffet. We enjoyed the breakfast at Crystal palace and thought it was pretty good for a buffet. we also enjoy Winnie the pooh. The one we thought had the best character interaction was 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian. It seemed like the characters were out the entire meal.

I agree with others in that I would go with the characters your kid like and go from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom