Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

Smiley/OCD

I just dk how disney is losing money by not having the dining plan… we just went thru this the other day how much more i paid bc there was no dining plan. Im sure im not alone in that.
Our family of 4 were ALWAYS staunch supporters of the DDP...the last trip we took as a family in May, 2021, obviously the DDP wasn't available. We actually saved about 30% paying OOP vs. DDP. For US, the main advantages were 1), we didn't have to worry about the payment, because it was already paid for and 2), it was more cost effective for us to schedule all the buffets and TS meals. Now that it's just the DW & I, we'll do MAYBE 2 dinners and 1 breakfast TS, and QS the rest of the time we are there for the week. At Epcot, we usually but a GC to eat around the world at the kiosks during the festivals. With kids, it seemed better for us to use the DDP, and several times they offered the free plan, it was excellent. Now, we don't miss it.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I'm a very local superfan who has:
  1. DVC
  2. Annual Pass
I go for two weeks every year - once in January and once in August/September. We eat at mostly TS and buy a decent amount of merchandise. Even with DVC, each week we go our bill is 2-3k.

We also try to go once a month for a weekend day, in which we will do the same - 1 or 2 TS and some merchandise. Probably $250 - $400 a trip.

Total in a given year $7000 to $10,800.

This is despite reduced food quality/portions, lack of investment in the product, and overall cut backs everywhere I turn. Yet I still go.

Bob is saying he doesn't want me in his parks whether it's due to blocking me out of park reservations or not selling me an AP. The family from Denver comes every 5 years and spends what, 7 - 10k? Tell me why I am less important or profitable. Sure, I may be an anomaly, but regardless, his policies are affecting me and turning the most diehard fans, like me, away.
i totally agree he should want your money as well but my guess is you are not the average AP holder and to compare i was there 10 nights staying value and spent more money than that for 2 rooms 3 people.... he wants people (suckas lol) like me who are staying at moderate and deluxe to really jack up the revues and profits...

eliza61nyc

1. DVC
  2. Annual Pass
I go for two weeks every year - once in January and once in August/September. We eat at mostly TS and buy a decent amount of merchandise. Even with DVC, each week we go our bill is 2-3k.

We also try to go once a month for a weekend day, in which we will do the same - 1 or 2 TS and some merchandise. Probably $250 - $400 a trip.

This is despite reduced food quality/portions, lack of investment in the product, and overall cut backs everywhere I turn. Yet I still go.

Bob is saying he doesn't want me in his parks whether it's due to blocking me out of park reservations or not selling me an AP. The family from Denver comes every 5 years and spends what, 7 - 10k? Tell me why I am less important or profitable. Sure, I may be an anomaly, but regardless, his policies are affecting me and turning the most diehard fans, like me, away.
Do they spend the same or more?? That's the question.
This is anecdotal but our first trip we spent waaaay more monet because we thought it was a one and done thing. We ate inside the bubble, we did character meals, we purchased mickey ears to wear and to eat. Lol . We don't do any of that now. We know exactly where we like to eat and rarely buy souvenirs. So I can see why I'm not their target client

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Our family of 4 were ALWAYS staunch supporters of the DDP...the last trip we took as a family in May, 2021, obviously the DDP wasn't available. We actually saved about 30% paying OOP vs. DDP. For US, the main advantages were 1), we didn't have to worry about the payment, because it was already paid for and 2), it was more cost effective for us to schedule all the buffets and TS meals. Now that it's just the DW & I, we'll do MAYBE 2 dinners and 1 breakfast TS, and QS the rest of the time we are there for the week. At Epcot, we usually but a GC to eat around the world at the kiosks during the festivals. With kids, it seemed better for us to use the DDP, and several times they offered the free plan, it was excellent. Now, we don't miss it.
agreed all im saying and my point has always been this... noone should ever lose money by purchasing the dining plan.... everything else to me is all smoke and mirrors.. yes did it jack prices up most likely 100% but so did demand for Disney jack up every other price down there... did it lessen the food i would agree there as well but honestly over the last 4-5 years food has surprisingly been really good after what i would say a 2-3 year run where it was borderline terrible at times...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
  1. DVC
  2. Annual Pass

Because you don't clog up the place for one family from Denver. You clog up the place for three families from Denver.

One family staying for 15 nights spends more than one family staying for 5 nights, but much less than three families staying for five nights each.

Rickcat96

Chapek is absolutely right about one thing. Crowded parks this year have caused prices to go up. This supply/demand formula affects every product and service on planet Earth....and there is no getting arround it.

We as fans complain that the parks are too expensive and only cater to the wealthy. We then turn right arround and complain that the parks are too crowded and wait times are terrible and lines are too long.

If Disney cut every price by 50% to make everybody's visit more affordable....how crowded would the parks get? How much longer would wait times get? How miserable would our visit be?

If we want prices to go down....we "all" need to stop going to WDW for a while. This is the ONLY way to thin out the crowds and lower the "demand" for their product. Once demand drops, then the "supply" will open up and THAT will bring costs down.

Excessive "demand" has caused this price problem. "We" caused the price increase...not Disney. They are just reacting or our demand.
Disney's lack of expanding over the years (and I don't mean 1-billion-dollar attraction's) is on them, their hands are not clean either.

TQQQ

Original Poster
Rent them out or sell them back. At the price I paid years ago, I'll make a killing.

But I don't WANT to do that BOB.
I'm holding my DVC and renting them out....My returns have been great.......We bought at $99 in secondary mkt...............Thing is, as long as Disney is going to raise hotel prices higher than the rate of inflation, the value should continue to go higher even with the expiration. There will be a breakeven but it hasn't come yet.....We just rent them out and will sell sometime in the future

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Oh so you missed my point then....Got it
Well, you said "cali," which didn't suggest "DLR" to me. But it's all straight now. Interesting that WDW controls more hotel rooms than the entire city of Anaheim hosts.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Disney's lack of expanding over the years (and I don't mean 1-billion-dollar attraction's) is on them, their hands are not clean either.
These parks are capacity hamstrung & its like the are afraid to adequately make them where it needs to be with the fear they may lose revenue on say Genie+_ etc... meanwhile i think it would only generate more money for them with happier guests & if they truly want the family trips to be limited to 5-6 days spending more money this would to me make it happen...

jloucks

The problem is Disney parks are not a “luxury” product

They weren’t conceived, designed, or built to function as such…and the economics don’t work without mass attendance.

I agree they were not designed to be, but they are behaving as such lately. Based on price elasticity and the connection to global incomes on price and demand.

(everything that follows, I know you know, but consider this a general response to all)

And yes, mass attendance is a method of maximizing profit. It is based on attendees spending money. If you halved the number of people in the park, and they all spent 3x (or more) in the park, then it is a win for profit.

Because the entire model is starting to look like that of a luxury good/service it stands to reason these customers would spend more in the park. IF, you can get them in the park. These folks are put off by huge massive crowds.

el_super

Then who is the “unfavorable” part of the “unfavorable” attendance mix?

In a discussion about per-capita ticket spending, it's the group of people who spend the least on tickets.

Doesn't mean they are unwanted. It just means they need to spend more money.

el_super

These parks are capacity hamstrung & its like the are afraid to adequately make them where it needs to be with the fear they may lose revenue on say Genie+_ etc... meanwhile i think it would only generate more money for them with happier guests & if they truly want the family trips to be limited to 5-6 days spending more money this would to me make it happen...

Building capacity costs money. You'd have to raise ticket prices to pay for it, and in doing so, end up reducing demand (and attendance anyway). Add the new attraction and the bump up in attendance gets you right back where you were.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Then who is the “unfavorable” part of the “unfavorable” attendance mix?
Seven hells, the CFO was giving a financial variance explanation in a financial presentation to financial investors and analysts. She wasn't demeaning your value as a human being.

If I sell Apples and Bananas, and Bananas are more profitable than Apples, but one quarter I sell more Apples and fewer Bananas than last year, that's "unfavorable product mix."

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Building capacity costs money. You'd have to raise ticket prices to pay for it, and in doing so, end up reducing demand (and attendance anyway). Add the new attraction and the bump up in attendance gets you right back where you were.
Hence why all the attractions do not need to be e tickets as been discussed a mixture of everything… just look at both TSL & SWL. Both underbuilt w no real restaurant to sit down and eat…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree they were not designed to be, but they are behaving as such lately. Based on price elasticity and the connection to global incomes on price and demand.

(everything that follows, I know you know, but consider this a general response to all)

And yes, mass attendance is a method of maximizing profit. It is based on attendees spending money. If you halved the number of people in the park, and they all spent 3x (or more) in the park, then it is a win for profit.

Because the entire model is starting to look like that of a luxury good/service it stands to reason these customers would spend more in the park. IF, you can get them in the park. These folks are put off by huge massive crowds.
They will never let attendance “fall”…the masters won’t allow it. Why would they? More money…THEIR money is to be reaped.

What happened was people forget who Disney was when their price spikes hurt attendance a bit a few years ago…so Bob said “oh no…we MEANT to do that…”
But he lied…because he can and they never do anything “wrong” at Disney.

The dream of utopian luxury on Peter Pan and mine train will never happen. Fundamentally it can’t and they wouldn’t allow it.

The money is made off the masses…not “vip” tours. It takes an army.

What they’ve been doing for two years is retraining their customer base to pay more for everything, while trimming overhead to increase yield.

Not hard here, kids 🤓

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom