Changing Resorts:

couchpotatooo

Hello how many have split their stay up between two different resorts?:shrug::shrug: I would like to try a different resort my family likes POP but were going for 10 days and would like to try something different in maybe the moderate area resorts. Anybody have any suggestions we will have 2 girls ages 8 and 5. We always stay at the value resorts to save money:confused: but would like to look and see if we could afford doing something like this.:veryconfu:veryconfu

Rob562

I've only switched resorts twice, and both times were out of necessity.

First, was from a Hotel Plaza Blvd hotel to Music, because we weren't able to get our entire trip booked into Music. But unfortunately they don't handle transfers from non-Disney hotels, so we had to get a taxi and move ourselves.

The other time I went for 8 nights, but my friend could only go for the first 4. So we stayed at Riverside for 4 nights, he flew home and I transferred to Music to save money as it was just me and a Value room was fine by me.

That being said, if you're CHOOSING to split your stay, stay at the Value first, then upgrade to the Moderate. Otherwise, the "downgrade" is really veyr obviousl if done in the other direction.

Disney will help you with your bags. Just arrange it with Luggage Services. They'll tag your bags with special transfer tags and take them. In a few hours they'll be moved over. You can go play in the parks for the day. Then in the afternoon, take Disney transportation to your new hotel, check in, and call Bell Services from your room to have your bags brought up. (Remember to tip the Bell Services CM)

Also make sure that you link your flights properly to the reservations if you're using Magical Express. You'd have you arrival on the first one, and departure on the second.

Lastly, you'll have problems if you try and split your stay using packages, especially if you're getting the Dining Plan. You'd need to book two packages, each with tickets. It's best to book Room Only reservations, and buy tickets separately. The front desk can encode the tickets onto your first room keys. Then your second hotel SHOULD be able to take those tickets and move them onto your new room keys after you've checked in.

-Rob

Upvote 0

sleepybear

Rob is right. Switching resorts is a big problem if you're on a package/dining plan. We're switching resorts on our upcoming trip and can't do one of the package deals offered because it would be too complicated and probably not save us much money.

Another downside to changing rooms is if you like your first hotel better than the second. This happened to us the last two times we switched resorts. One was from Wilderness Lodge to the Gaylord Palms offsite because of a conference there. It just wasn't as magical.

Upvote 0

corey154

I've heard of people switching resorts before so I don't think it'll be too big of a deal. Disney even sends your bags for you. I understand your kids like Pop, my daughter does too, but you'll be much happier at a moderate the whole ten days if you can afford it. Moderates seem to be a little more relaxing to me. Pop is fun, but I say go ahead and go with a moderate this time, your girls might even like it better. The moderate pools have slides where value resorts don't.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

We switched from POR to the Poly (3 nights/4 nights) and I personally don't recommend it. For us, it took up took much of a day. Granted, you can probably do it in less time than us but, never having done this before, we wanted to make sure everyone's luggage (including refrigerated items and packages) made it over OK and we got checked in. I might be less hesitant on trips longer than 7 days.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

I agree with everything siad here. We stayed at the value resort the first time, and its just not relaxing enough. CBR is all spread out and you dont feel so clustered. One of the best things of a moderate resort is busing, no long lines to wait in, just a short walk from your door and away you go. Food courts are better too. If you can, try to do it! Good luck to you. 49 more days!!!!:p

Upvote 0

DisGal

We stay in 2 resorts everytime we visit WDW for a long stay. We love the resorts and have a hard time deciding which one to stay in so we always pick our top 2. I have never found switching hotels time consuming or inconvenient.

Upvote 0

bbrnca

I have switched resorts twice.... last year ASM for 2 days then over to Wilderness Lodge for 10 days and this year we just did 5 days at 2br villa at Kidani and then last 5 days at Treehouse villas..... had bell service pick up bags and they were there later in the day which is fine since you can't usually get into your room until later in the day..... I found it is always nice to try something different during the stays.... Go for it... but like others have said do value and go up from there.....

Upvote 0

durangojim

We've done it 5 or 6 times. First time was AKL to WL to GF, next time BC to WL, then WL to BC, then BC to WL again, and November will be Pop to BC. It's never been a problem with luggage or anything else as we don't do packages. All times have been because we wanted to stay at the resorts just to enjoy the different resorts, except the upcoming stay at Pop. We couldn't get a good discount at BC (it's the saturday after Thanksgiving) so we're paying $90 for one night there and then $200/night at BC for the next 7 days (I refused to pay over $300 for the night at BC).

Upvote 0

Jimtheboy

Do it!

Its easy, as long as you're ok with not having a room/luggage for part of the day.

We are changing resorts for the second time. We did the same last year. It was cheaper for us to fly down Saturday night, and stay at Pop, than it was to Fly down Sunday morning and go straight to our DVC resort. (SSR last year BAY LAKE this year) :)

We don't even have our luggage delivered, since its only 1 night. Bell services holds it and ships it over automatically.

OMG....less than 2 weeks till we leave!!!!! Bay Lake, with lake view. I can't wait!!!!:sohappy:

-Jim

Upvote 0

couchpotatooo

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replys:

I really wish I could afford the Moderate resorts. Seems like people are pretty mixed on this subject. I kinda like New Orleans they seem to have anice theme pool I think my kids would like but not sure the wife will go for the price! Our trip will be the first week in June 2010 so I don't see any package deals at that time but who knows!!:shrug:

Upvote 0

paul436

I switched resorts once. We went from POP to POFQ. I thought it was great. We went to WDW just before the free dining plan started in 2007. So we booked room-only at POP and when we switched over to the free dining plan a few days into our trip we moved over to POFQ. WDW handled all the bags. I made arrangements at the front desk and our bags were picked up from our room and delivered to POFQ.

There was a delay in getting our bags at POFQ but that seemed more like there was some sort of breakdown in the process or someone didn't perform their duties up to par. But I got the sense that this didn't happen often. When I went to Bell Services to see what the delay was they were very responsive and helpful.

I would recommend switching resorts and will probably do it again myself. I enjoy seeing as much of WDW as I can while I'm there and resort hopping is a great way to do that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom