Changing Critter Country to Match Frog Mountain

PiratesMansion

This is one of those things where the Imagineers up in Glendale were only thinking about Disneyland 40 miles down the freeway, instead of Disney World 2,500 miles east.

Splash Mountain at WDW is in the middle of Frontierland. In theory they've got a lot of work ahead of them to make it fit in Frontierland, but knowing how WDW does things they'll probably not care and just turn it into Tiana' Bayou Bash N' Splash and still leave the cowboys out in front...

woody-and-jessie-in-parade-near-splash-mountain-frontierland-magic-picture-id612573066

We can lay some blame on either MK or whoever the team is that worked on the Florida version of the ride. Their Splash doesn't fit Frontierland either, though they tried and did well enough I suppose that it doesn't register for most people. I don't know if it was ever considered or not, but WDW's is the only version without a Critter Country of any kind, with Tokyo purpose-building an area from scratch that is even situated in such a place that it acts as a transition between Fantasyland and Westernland (as Frontierland is called there).

I would love more insight into their decision-making, frankly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is one of those things where the Imagineers up in Glendale were only thinking about Disneyland 40 miles down the freeway, instead of Disney World 2,500 miles east.

Splash Mountain at WDW is in the middle of Frontierland. In theory they've got a lot of work ahead of them to make it fit in Frontierland, but knowing how WDW does things they'll probably not care and just turn it into Tiana' Bayou Bash N' Splash and still leave the cowboys out in front...

woody-and-jessie-in-parade-near-splash-mountain-frontierland-magic-picture-id612573066

A ride set in the South (Splash Mountain) already didn't fit Frontierland. And it's being replaced by a ride set in the South.

It's Big Thunder Mountain that doesn't fit in with a ride based to the South on one side of it and a ride set on the Mississippi on the other side. WDW has already shown decades ago they don't care about the thematic integrity of "The Frontier."

IOW... MK's Frontierland was already messed up chronologically and geographically.

Consider this: Haunted Mansion is neither Colonial nor Frontier.

Frontierland in MK was built from the point of view of a New York snob: Everything southwest of New Jersey is the Great Deep South Western Rocky Plains, aka "The Frontier."

fctiger

I would be totally fine if CC was done away with and TPAF ride became part of NOS. Yeah you have Pooh and Hungry Bear but no one cares about Pooh. You can shut that down I doubt more than a hundred people will miss it. Hungry Bear is very popular of course so I would hate to see that go. I guess they can retheme it to Tiana's Place or something or just keep it. But I think an extension to NOS would be fine overall.

dmeets

Hmmm... they could have Kermit and friends take over Pooh. Start in the bayou/swamp with Rainbow Connection, and then in later scenes incorporate the other muppets... some sort of Muppets Take Mardi Gras adventure or something. Plus, they probably still have all those Muppet Vision 3-D lobby props they could use to re-theme the store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom