Changes to the Dining Plan for 2017

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
Looks like the dining plan will be getting a couple changes next year. Dessert will no longer be included with a QS meal and you will get 2 snack credits per day instead of 1.

I think this is great. I'll trade a QS dessert for a Dole Whip or Mickey Ice Cream an hour later. On the other hand we still had leftover snack credits last year before we left and had to get a few random snacks in the gift shop. I guess we'll be bringing home more Goofy Cotton Candy...

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/details-on-2017-disney-dining-plans/

Weather_Lady

That would certainly bring the DDP a couple of notches closer to how my family actually eats (perhaps even allowing for the use of that extra snack credit on a breakfast item and saving us from having to bring breakfast foods from home), and could potentially make it a value for us. As it is presently structured, the extra desserts and giant fountain drinks are wasted on us, so we've historically been better off paying out of pocket...

pluto77

I think this is a good change, especially for the regular dining plan. The quick service plan, however, I guess you are losing 2 desserts (since both meals are quick service), and gaining only one snack. We don't usually do the quick service plan, so that doesn't effect us, but I could see why people who do that plan could be a little upset.

Wendy Pleakley

From https://www.mouseplanet.com/11459/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update_for_June_2127_2016

2017 Disney Dining Plan details
Disney has made a few changes to the Dining Plan for 2017, and vacation planners can book the new packages starting today for stays beginning January 1, 2017. Here are the highlights:

• Character meals are now 1 Table Service credit, with the exception of Cinderella's Royal Table at the Magic Kingdom. and Mickey's Backyard BBQ at Fort Wilderness.
  • Dessert is no longer included in a Counter Service Meal. Depending on how much you liked mini carrot cakes, this may or may not be a disappointment to you.
  • The Quick Service Dining Plan now includes two snacks per day, instead of one. In the end, you lose two desserts (one from each of the two meals in the daily entitlement), but you gain an extra snack.
  • There is no change to the allocations of the basic Disney Dining Plan, which means you lose one dessert from the Counter Service Meal each day. The Table Service Meal still includes dessert.
  • There is no change to the allocations of the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan. This plan still includes three meals per day – Counter Service or Table Service – so you lose dessert whenever you opt for a Counter Service meal.

So we have a slight downgrade to the QS plan (two less desserts, one extra snack) and a downgrade to the other two plans (loss of desserts with no replacement).

Ugh.

Edit: the official site shows that the Dining Plan and Deluxe Plan do include two snacks now. The change doesn't seem like such a downgrade knowing that.

Last edited:

Dylan Ann

From https://www.mouseplanet.com/11459/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update_for_June_2127_2016

So we have a slight downgrade to the QS plan (two less desserts, one extra snack) and a downgrade to the other two plans (loss of desserts with no replacement).

Ugh.

Ugh, that is a bummer :(

I'm going in December of this year - if I understand what I've previously read, I will have the option of swapping out my QS dessert or drink for a snack at the same time of purchase. So going forward, you even lose that extra bit of flexibility that they added this year o_O

todd23

Disneyworld.com still lists the Dining Plan the same as 2016 with QS including dessert. I'm not disputing the change, just commenting that the site hasn't been updated. The link below is specifically for 2017.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/vacation-packages/2017/dining/

Disney Dining Plan
With your Disney Dining Plan, for each night of your package, each Guest in your party (ages 3 and up) receives:

1 Table-Service Meal
Each (adult or child) table-service meal includes:
1 entrée
1 dessert (lunch and dinner only)
1 single-serving, non-alcoholic beverage
Or
1 full buffet

1 Quick-Service Meal
Each quick-service meal includes:
1 entrée or 1 complete combo meal
1 dessert (lunch and dinner only)
1 single-serving, non-alcoholic beverage

1 Snack
Examples of snacks are: 1 frozen ice cream novelty, popsicle, fruit bar, popcorn scoop (single-serving box), single-serving bag of snacks, single piece of whole fruit, 20-oz. bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or Dasani water, 22-oz. fountain soft drink or juice, 12-oz. coffee, hot chocolate or hot tea, single-serving prepackaged milk or juice

ajmellu7

On the 2017 dining plan pdf that Wendy kindly posted I have noted that there are 1 or 2 restaurants that are not in there, eg Wolfgang puck at disney springs that had been a quick service option previously. Looking elsewhere it still seems to be listed as an option but with it not being on there does it mean it will no longer be an option next year at do they not always put every option on there?

Wendy Pleakley

Since our next trip will likely be for the food and wine I would gladly give up a QS desert for an extra snack

I agree. I would have gladly taken this change when I had the DDP during food & wine.

I don't need a dessert with lunch, I'd rather get a snack later. With the exception of F&W, it's still a bit of a downgrade in terms of dollar value, but better if you only ate dessert with your meal because it was included.

yedliW

I agree. I would have gladly taken this change when I had the DDP during food & wine.

We were there for F&W last year, and we weren't really impressed with the snack offerings.. There were good flavors, but the portions were so small, it didn't seem worth it, even for a snack credit. One night, we built a meal with a QS credit for 3 snacks, but it wasn't enough food. Probably wouldn't do it again.

I do like the option to have the 2nd snack, but we often spend the morning of the last day of each trip in the hotel gift shop spending the rest of the credits on things we can take on the plane..

All the more reason not to get the QS dining plan.. it is even less of a value now.

Goofyque'

On the 2017 dining plan pdf that Wendy kindly posted I have noted that there are 1 or 2 restaurants that are not in there, eg Wolfgang puck at disney springs that had been a quick service option previously. Looking elsewhere it still seems to be listed as an option but with it not being on there does it mean it will no longer be an option next year at do they not always put every option on there?

Non Disney restaurants are the last to sign contracts, and that is often at the end of the year. Historically, only one has ever not renewed, so you can be reasonably confidant of WPE being on the DDP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom