Changes in Studio backlot tour

speck76

The original tour was very long...too long for the average guest. How many avg guests want to spend 2 hours in the hot sun with limited restroom facilities and no food/drink. The original tour included the tram ride and the old walking tour.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/thumbnails/oldmaps/mgm_map_page_6_1990.jpg

When MGM opened NY street was closed, as the tram traveled on the street. This area had to opened due to the small size of MGM upon opening, and the fact that the park's admissions were almost as much as Epcot (over 9 million, which is much more than the last few years)

The demise of the long tour was out of both guest feedback (too long) and need of space to put people.

If I remember correctly, they separated to two tours for a while, before eliminating the old walking tour when "From the Earth to the Moon" began filming at MGM.

Bill

Account Suspended
I REALLY miss that house. :cry:

Though, wasn't that the Jewish house on the Spectale of Lights? I really never understood that...

LOL:lol:

Big Six Sided Star was on the Garage if I remember correctly.

TravisMT81

Originally posted by brycedisney
ok well thnx ill check it out i gues next week and when i get back ill let u all kno what it looks like.....it better still be there and stay there its always been one of my favorites. Well thnx to u all.

Sophia/Dorthy= Catholic
Rose= Lutheran??
Blanche= Baptist??

if I remember correctly!!

AndyP

Residential street was good, but the Motor Stunt Show will be SO much better that its not worth thinking about, plus, the tour is still going as well, even better. I can definetely live without residential street in exchange for the Motor Stunt Show. By the way, could anyone tell me how long the backlot tour is taking at the moment ?

awallaceunc

The Golden Girls house was 95% of the lure of the backstage tour, imo. They should have at least transported the house, as it was so popular. I wanted to get out and walk around it. :lol:

-Aaron

dizneeboy

I really wish they did more filming at MGM. Part of Universal Hollywood's charm is the fact you can sneak a peek of some actual filming going on sometimes. Its funny that they drive you through the bone yard of props and such when in actuality the entire tour is a bit of a boneyard. The tour really needs a shot in the arm. I would think a few new extras would be nice.

speck76

Originally posted by dizneeboy
I really wish they did more filming at MGM. Part of Universal Hollywood's charm is the fact you can sneak a peek of some actual filming going on sometimes. Its funny that they drive you through the bone yard of props and such when in actuality the entire tour is a bit of a boneyard. The tour really needs a shot in the arm. I would think a few new extras would be nice.

When Disney-MGM first opened, a lot of flming was done there. The problem was that most of the park was closed off to the public. The areas in purple on this map were not open to the public. You could not walk down Mickey Avenue. If you ever notice a security booth with a gate to the left of the Chinese Theater, that is a real security booth, and the gate used to be closed.

.Disney-MGM 1990 Map

Part of the problem when the park opened was that it was too small for the masses of people that visited, so these areas had to be opened up. The other problem was that the park does not really have enough soundstages or large enough soundstages for a major production. The "working studio" aspect of MGM never worked out the way WDC thought it would. Universal Studios FL has the same problem, but at least was built to handle many more people

dizneeboy

I understand its a logistical issue, I just "wish" they could have more/planed better (was making a general comment). Having large soundstages doesn't really help the issue as they are never really "toured" anyway. Plus, most films use real locations or sound stages anyway I guess. Maybe just some new things to see along the way or some more educational behind the scenes kind of stuff would be beneficial (other than the stunt show since it will be a separate show).

speck76

At one time they had planned for studio expansion on the other side of World Drive.

Looking back at the early MGM map, I think it is quite strange how they really tossed the original plan of MGM to the wayside and started expanding anywhere they could. Out of all of the WDW parks, MGM seems to be the most haphazardly planned.

The original park was nice (small, but nice) in that the Theme Park area (Echo Lake and Hollywood Blvd area) and the Studio area (everything behind the arch) were two separate areas. Now, attractions have ventured into the Studio area that are not related to the Studio (Little Mermaid show, Playhouse Disney, Auto Stunt Show...) and that area really lost its "Studio" theme. Also, the addition of Sunset Blvd was so needed, but to put 4 popular shows/attractions on top of each other at the end of Sunset was not great, as this area becomes so crowded.

bgraham34

Its a shame its no longer a true working studio. It wasn't much of one years back but had such high expectations. I like riding the backlot tour but its nice to see change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom