Change in SpectroMagic question

mrtoad

Original Poster
I had mentioned this in another thread and got no reply so I will ask again.

We went to WDW a few weeks ago and the float in SpectroMagic where the crocodile is spinning the hippo on his finger has changed. The hippo has been replaced by a disco ball and the hippo is now a costumed character on the back of the float.

When did this change take place and why? Was it breaking or something?

I think it looks silly so I am wondering why the change...

Thanks,
Mike

AliceFan

This change took place sometime in Jan. or Feb. I don't remember when but I know that after the christmas parade when they had the hippos with the rollar skates, which is where the coustume came from, they decided to put a coustume chacter on the float instead. Hope that helps!

mrtoad

Original Poster
AliceFan said:
This change took place sometime in Jan. or Feb. I don't remember when but I know that after the christmas parade when they had the hippos with the rollar skates, which is where the coustume came from, they decided to put a coustume chacter on the float instead. Hope that helps!

Thanks. We were down the last few days of Jan and first few of Feb this year and it was not like that so it must have happened after. I don't mind the hippo costume, it is the stupid disco ball. It looks stupid in my opinion...

Thanks,
Mike

DznyRktekt

Interesting.

On the subject of change...does anyone know when Genie replaced Roger Rabbit as the conductor of the orchestra, and why? Sometimes change is good. :)

WDWKat26

Yey, I was wondering when someone would notice! Long story short, in Feb. the Pink Hippo broke and fell off the Float hence the reason why there is a disco ball there now. There used to be "Diva Ostrich" on that Float since the Pink Hippo was spinning on top of the alligator's finger. Just think of it as Pink Hippo coming down off of the finger. Personally I think she looks good there, and it's funny you should bring this up since I was friends with Ms. Hippo last night! I do agree that the disco ball is a little bogus, but better having something there rather than nothing.

Oh yeah, I also don't know if the Spinning Pink Hippo will be placed back on the float or not, sorry!

WDWKat26

DznyRktekt said:
Interesting.

On the subject of change...does anyone know when Genie replaced Roger Rabbit as the conductor of the orchestra, and why? Sometimes change is good. :)

Because of all the legal stuff that went on with Disney and the movie. I don't know all the details but Genie is there to stay.

mrtoad

Original Poster
WDWKat26 said:
Yey, I was wondering when someone would notice! Long story short, in Feb. the Pink Hippo broke and fell off the Float hence the reason why there is a disco ball there now. There used to be "Diva Ostrich" on that Float since the Pink Hippo was spinning on top of the alligator's finger. Just think of it as Pink Hippo coming down off of the finger. Personally I think she looks good there, and it's funny you should bring this up since I was friends with Ms. Hippo last night! I do agree that the disco ball is a little bogus, but better having something there rather than nothing.

Oh yeah, I also don't know if the Spinning Pink Hippo will be placed back on the float or not, sorry!

Thanks for the input. I did not mind the pink hippo being a costumed character as much as I mind the disco ball. Maybe if they don't replace it they should do the alligator as a costume as well. I would think they will fix it though as it is a one time cost vs. a paid employee. The float with the ostriches use to have more and now it looks kind of silly. One time we saw it with only 3 total on it when in the past I think there were 6...

Thanks again,
Mike

Tom

Beta Return
DznyRktekt said:
Interesting.

Must have been before 2002 because that's the first time I saw Spectro and Genie was conductor then. I have the soundtrack and his voice is on there as well.

On a side note, does anyone know if Dan Castellaneta (Homer Simpson) voiced the Genie in the parade? He is credited as the voice of the Genie in the Aladdin TV series from 1994 off and on until 1998. It sure sounds like him on the Spectro CD I have - with that Homer/Groundskeeper Willie voice quality! Just wondering.

WDWKat26

mrtoad said:
Thanks for the input. I did not mind the pink hippo being a costumed character as much as I mind the disco ball. Maybe if they don't replace it they should do the alligator as a costume as well. I would think they will fix it though as it is a one time cost vs. a paid employee. The float with the ostriches use to have more and now it looks kind of silly. One time we saw it with only 3 total on it when in the past I think there were 6...

Thanks again,
Mike

There isn't a costume for the Alligator, plus there's no room left on the float if they put 2 characters up there. Also, there are reasons why there are only 3 Ostrich on each side and not 6, one of the reasons being it was a little too crowded for them to dance...others that Disney won't allow me to say :)

mrtoad

Original Poster
WDWKat26 said:
There isn't a costume for the Alligator, plus there's no room left on the float if they put 2 characters up there. Also, there are reasons why there are only 3 Ostrich on each side and not 6, one of the reasons being it was a little too crowded for them to dance...others that Disney won't allow me to say :)

OK thanks. The ostrich float is one of the funniest in the parade. Some day if you ever leave, come back and spill the beans... :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom