Change in Reservations no longer allowed?

NelsonRD

Original Poster
I have a trip booked further than 30 days out. Due to some changed in my schedule, I need to change our dates. I called Disney, and they claim the reservation cannot be changed. We now have to wait for guest services to 'approve' our request for change. I was finally on-board with the reserving fastpass+, and even reserving dining reservations in advance. But this idea that a reservation itself cannot be easily altered now is going to be a problem. Has anybody else experienced this?

JasonDeyoung

I have a trip booked further than 30 days out. Due to some changed in my schedule, I need to change our dates. I called Disney, and they claim the reservation cannot be changed. We now have to wait for guest services to 'approve' our request for change. I was finally on-board with the reserving fastpass+, and even reserving dining reservations in advance. But this idea that a reservation itself cannot be easily altered now is going to be a problem. Has anybody else experienced this?
I've always been able to change and or modify reservations with no issues. That is odd unless they changed policy in the last couple weeks. I did call to ask a few questions last week and the reservation line has changed a little bit and from the cm I talked with, I'm guessing quite a few new agents as well.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Have you checked your reservation on My Disney Experience? Sometimes there is a link that says "Change Reservation" and you may be able to modify it yourself.

docdebbi

i'm wondering if it is a special deal you have that you would lose if you change your reservation. anyone can cancel a reservation (with a financial loss if within a certain amount of time) and just rebook a new one. however, if you had a room discount, or free dining plan, or used a PIN, that may not be transferable, and that is what he is trying to arrange.
or as @JasonDeyoung said above, maybe a new CM, and he's just wrong

NYwdwfan

From the Disney website - (I'd call back and ask a different CM):

Q. How do I update or modify a hotel or package reservation?

A. Depending on the type of reservation, you may be able to update or modify your hotel or package reservation online. Simply sign in to your Disney Account and go to My Reservations, where you’ll see a link for “Modify Reservation.”

If your reservation cannot be updated or modified online, please call (407) 934-7639. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permissions to call.

Please note that a change fee may apply.

HolleBolleGijs

Might have something to do with a promotion, or maybe room-only vs package? Could also have something to do with availability?

I have two separate room-only reservations for just over 30 days out, and I have no issue modifying the dates for both of them online. Granted I haven't gone through the check out process since I don't actually want to modify the dates, but I don't think it's a new policy. Try doing it online to see if you get a different result? It's really simple to do - I've changed my resort, even my dates a few times in the past two months or so via the website with no issues.

POLY LOVER

never had an issue changing anything. I think cancellations can only be done up to a certain number of days before arrivial.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
Just to clarify, this wasn't a cancellation. This was a change in the arrival date only, to make the trip shorter. Apparently overbooking is starting to become a problem, and I predict changes in future reservations may not happen so easily.

HolleBolleGijs

Just to clarify, this wasn't a cancellation. This was a change in the arrival date only, to make the trip shorter. Apparently overbooking is starting to become a problem, and I predict changes in future reservations may not happen so easily.

Have you tried doing it online? It's honestly really easy, and you shouldn't have to wait for anything to be "approved." I've changed my dates through the site (also not a cancellation), and had zero problems.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
Have you tried doing it online? It's honestly really easy, and you shouldn't have to wait for anything to be "approved." I've changed my dates through the site (also not a cancellation), and had zero problems.

I was able to change the dates with little resistance. I called and requested the change, and I received an email a few hours later with the confirmation. However, it was not instant. Apparently Disney believes overbooking is an issue, and is possibly looking at ways to address it. While the replies on this thread all confirm this has never been an issue in the past, I am suggesting it may be in the future.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
i'm wondering if it is a special deal you have that you would lose if you change your reservation. anyone can cancel a reservation (with a financial loss if within a certain amount of time) and just rebook a new one. however, if you had a room discount, or free dining plan, or used a PIN, that may not be transferable, and that is what he is trying to arrange.
or as @JasonDeyoung said above, maybe a new CM, and he's just wrong
I'm thinking this is the case. Certain promotions have blackout dates (like Free Dining).

NelsonRD

Original Poster
I'm thinking this is the case. Certain promotions have blackout dates (like Free Dining).

At first impression, this is what seems to be the case, changing reservations that affect promotions, blackout dates, etc, but I do not think this is the motivation. Just as Disney started to require credit cards for dining, and charing for no-shows, I think we are going to see the same happen for changes in reservations. According a NYC taxi driver, people are overbooking too much, then depending on when the cost of the flights seems to be the cheapest or change in cost, they cancel the last days, and/or the first days - or both, holding rooms people never intend on staying in.

So, I think Disney is looking at ways on how changing a reservation is going to happen in the future. Heads up, I think some changes are coming.

HouCuseChickie

There have actually been a lot of people encountering this lately. It comes up several times per week on the various Disney facebook groups. I don't know where the info was found, so I don't even know where to begin looking, but someone on one of the groups was able to find he language in the booking terms to note a change in policy. Either way, this is coming up a lot, even when people call back for a different CM.

bee

I just started a reservation to see what the deal was and it said the same thing it always has about the five day change/cancellation policy. I wonder if it is only certain resorts that are affected? I just tried a room-only res once so this isn't exactly a scientific examination.

DisneyJoe

This is a policy that has been in place before, but just started being enforced a few months ago, travel agents have run up against it many times already. It ties into formula for room allocation, allocation predictions, minimum stays and a few other items that I am forgetting at the moment. It will vary by resort and time of year.

Some of it may tie into certain practices where people were booking dates, like @NelsonRD stated, for rooms they never intended to use, but having said rooms may have given them an advantage with making ADR's or FP+....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom