Central Florida

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
Hi, just was wondering if anyone knows of nice, relatively safe places to live in Florida. How pricey are they? I'm not planning on buying a home in the near future, but I might move down and would want to live in an apartment somewhere pretty safe. I've heard things about the crime rate in the area. I've driven through Celebration before; how expensive is it? Would anyone recommend staying there? And is it true you get fined if your lawn isn't growing?? Thanks for any pointers!

ImaYoyo

Hi, just was wondering if anyone knows of nice, relatively safe places to live in Florida. How pricey are they? I'm not planning on buying a home in the near future, but I might move down and would want to live in an apartment somewhere pretty safe. I've heard things about the crime rate in the area. I've driven through Celebration before; how expensive is it? Would anyone recommend staying there? And is it true you get fined if your lawn isn't growing?? Thanks for any pointers!
Might want to narrow it down a bit. Florida is pretty big. How close to disney do you want to live? How much do you want to pay? What kind of things are you looking for in a community?

Rabflmom

>>>>>

For an idea about areas and apartments check out this site.

http://www.bestapartmentsinorlando.com/Default.asp

I think that will get you there. My son lives in a Metro West apartment on Kirkman which takes him only about 15 minutes to get home from a Disney park. I am a little leery of that area since it is listed by the Orlando police as one of the Hot Spots for crime this year. He assures me he is safe in a gated community. Haven't been there yet, but it looks nice in the ads for the place.

I am not one impressed by Celebration so it would probably not be a choice I would make. I would hate to have Big Brother watching every move I make, what I wear, and how long my grass in the front yard is. :-{ I get the impression is all about image and it is just not my way. The place looks cool though-like everything Disney -is well planned and it seems to be working.

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
I have no idea...I'd like to work for the company someday, so I guess within driving distance to the World? Celebration is the closest residential area to the World I know of, other than the CP housing complexes, and it looks like a pricey neighborhood. Um, do most CMs stay in a certain area, or could they be anywhere in the Orlando area?

I'm pretty clueless, so I'm just fishing for any suggestions! :lol: I guess somewhere safe, relatively nice, and affordable for a CM starting out in an entry-level salaried role (hopefully and hypothetically). Those are the only things I really have in mind...basically I guess I'm looking for any advice on how to get started down there!

ImaYoyo

Mirabella and Camden are two decent apartment complexes near Pop Century (intersection of Osceola and South International) if you want to live REALLY close and still be in safe, out-of-the-way neighborhoods. Though they are a tad pricey (800 for a 1 bed, 1100 for a basic 2 bed, ect). There are some apartments at the intersection of 192 and 27 (Cagan's Crossings) that are ok. Price is MUCH lower than the above mentioned, but it's further from The World and 27 is usually a mess of construction. There are some decent areas in south Kissimmee (The oaks, but that's a home community, not apartment, but lots of homes for rent). Poinciana is very inexpensive but it's also a 40 minute drive. Windermere is not bad at all, but price wise you're looking just a little less than celebration. In general, the further away from The World you get, the cheaper it gets.

As far as metro west, avoid!!! 8 Murders this year so far, and add that with 3 confirmed rapes, not very good statistics. They look nice, but they're next to Tangelo Park and some other not-so-nice areas.

Rabflmom

As far as metro west, avoid!!! 8 Murders this year so far, and add that with 3 confirmed rapes, not very good statistics. They look nice, but they're next to Tangelo Park and some other not-so-nice areas.>>>>>>>

I know! Isn't that horrible? The apartment is really nice and in the $1300 a month range for the 3 bedroom they live in! I will be praying nightly.....All 3 of them work at Disney and go to school so their time at home is limited-especially in the summer when they work really long hours. I really worry about them coming home late at night!

I am looking for a new home in central Florida. I've heard that the Windermere area is extremely nice but the houses all seem to start in the four hundreds does anyone know of a development in this area with homes beginning in the one to two hundreds.

ImaYoyo

I am looking for a new home in central Florida. I've heard that the Windermere area is extremely nice but the houses all seem to start in the four hundreds does anyone know of a development in this area with homes beginning in the one to two hundreds.
I don't think I've seen a home in the 100's ANYWHERE in central florida since I started living here. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent home in the mid-200's, in a nice area.

TakeMe2TheMagic

A Windermere zip code is (not sure if its the only one or not) 34786 you can go to any realty site and search for homes in that zip. I looked a www.remax.com and found that condo's start at about 250K and homes about 375K.

lunalovegoddess

Having just moved from east Orlando, my advice is that if you buy a home in a gated community, make sure that you pay your community associations dues on time. We found out the hard way that the community association can foreclose on your home even if you do not have a mortgage or have paid your mortgage off. There is a loophole in real estate law that allows them to put a lien on your property, and they will try to take you to court over this.
Know what you are getting into, and make sure to read the fine print before signing anything... and if you do not understand something, have someone clarify things for you.

Otherwise, I loved living in Central Florida. Our house was in the 200K range, and the elementary school was incredible. There were many good points to living east of the airport, but the cost of living and scarcity of jobs was a serious issue. If you are single and childless, you can afford to live there on Disney's pay... but if you have a family to support, make sure that you have money put aside as a :cushion: to live off of until you find a job.

~Luna's two Knuts~

sknydave

I live in Metro West. It's very nice here, but if you drive about 4 minutes north or northeast you are in the middle of the ghetto.

coasterphil

I don't think I've seen a home in the 100's ANYWHERE in central florida since I started living here. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent home in the mid-200's, in a nice area.

There were some really basic homes in Davenport that were starting in the 100s that I saw during my last visit. They were off the beaten path and didn't look particularly nice though.

ImaYoyo

I need some info about Independence, Signature Lakes in Winter Garden and How much!
Independence is similar in price to Celebration (slightly lower) but newer for the most part, however I don't believe it's ever going to be 'finished'. there are plans to build some town-center style shops and such, but not a shred of evidence yet that those will come to fruition. Nice community, close to Magic Kingdom, but far further from everything else. Prices are a bit high considering it looks like crap right now with all of the construction lots, but the homes are very modern and very nice.

Rabflmom

I live in Metro West. It's very nice here, but if you drive about 4 minutes north or northeast you are in the middle of the ghetto.

I have now been to my son's apartment in Metro West. It is close to Valencia(sp) College, It is a very nice apartment and he loves it there. He is closer to Disney and yet not too far from UCF for his classes. It sure beats the hour drive home from Disney that he had done for a few years.
So far everything seems great at the complex. As he keeps reminding me, even at the old apartment close to campus they had an arsonist that had started at least 4 fires in the middle of the night. He actually paid about $100 a month more there and his bedroom was half the size of the one he has now. Even at the apartments owned by the University there have been many gun incidents, rapes, and thefts so I think the thing is you just have to be aware of things no matter where you live.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom