Central Florida Fires -- Governor Bush Declares State of Emergency

Number_6

Nemo14 said:
So you're the one!

With the number of times I've recorded that stuff on the Florida 511 system just since yesterday, not to mention all the previous closures this past couple of weeks, it certainly feels like I'm the only one sometimes. But I really do work with great people that get the job done.

MommytoMJM

This isn't a forest fire.... but there was a small fore by the Roundhouse where the trains and monorails were kept last night, we saw it driving home, there were lots of firemen... I assume it was from a firework that didn't burn out completely....

prberk

Original Poster
MommytoMJM said:
This isn't a forest fire.... but there was a small fore by the Roundhouse where the trains and monorails were kept last night, we saw it driving home, there were lots of firemen... I assume it was from a firework that didn't burn out completely....

Which...
(1) answers the "have they stopped fireworks" question...and ...

(2) prompts the "when will they stop fireworks" question. :lookaroun

Paul

MissM

It's been so bad. This morning it rained here in Tampa. The second rain in literally months. Tampa had reported zero rainfall in March and through the last week of April. I don't think we had any in February either. It's serious around here. Every lake or pond is bare to empty. Communities had to be evactuated out in Gibsonton and Tampa yesterday. 400 acres were burning.

It's awful. People need to be very careful right now. A little thing like a cig butt tossed out a window can cause a fire.

We need rain. Badly. It's scary right now. :(
-m

Captain Chaos

Number 6.. is there a site we can go on to keep track of the road closures? I have a friend who will be driving down to Disney and they want to monitor the road closures with as close to up to the minute news as possible.

MommytoMJM

prberk said:
Which...
(1) answers the "have they stopped fireworks" question...and ...

(2) prompts the "when will they stop fireworks" question. :lookaroun

Paul

Yeah, no kidding... it's a bit scary living here behind MK with it this dry... OTOH We at least have fire stations here very close...

supapampam

I work at a Public Radio Station in South Florida and today we were sent 2 PSA's from Florida Emergencey Mgt. and the Gov. -- One about prevention & the other about driving near fires.

It was been really dry lately. It's the season -- fires now and 3 weeks till hurricane season begins.

ToTBellHop

I see from the forecasts at least the Central Florida is slowly returning to its tropical summer weather...fires should be out of town within a few weeks.

ToTBellHop

1moreandimfree said:
I hope they get this under control soon..
Can you really control forest fires? They've been having forest fires out west for years and people still lose their houses every year. I think the only way to really get these under control is with a little help from Mother Nature.

BuzzComplexCM

This is so scary. My folks still live in Kissimmee, I moved in January. I've spoke to them and they haven't said it's bad by them. I only pray for rain and hope that the state gets drenched. If I had a water hose long enough, I'd drench Florida from Boston

Number_6

dxer07002 said:
Number 6.. is there a site we can go on to keep track of the road closures? I have a friend who will be driving down to Disney and they want to monitor the road closures with as close to up to the minute news as possible.

The Florida 511 information system can be called by any phone in the state and will have the most accurate info at any given moment, especially for Central Florida. As far as a website goes, www.fl511.com/ usually takes a few minutes to update, but will have any road closure information on it.

Nicole

I am driving down from NC on Saturday. I apologize that I don't know what counties are where on the route (I-95 to Daytona, then I-4 to WDW). I generally travel without a map but will bring one this time. Might I need an alternate route? Any suggestions?

shaelyn

Yeah, in general forest fires are nature's way of spring cleaning. Out west, especially, they clear out all the crap on the forest floor so new stuff can grow. By stopping them we end up just creating fuel for bigger fires in years to come.

But it's different in heavily urbanized/populated areas like FL. Was watching the news and they talked about a fire at Universal today. Scary stuff! The Universal one was on a fireworks truck, I think. Just waiting for Disney to scrap the explosives for a while.

jmvd20

shaelyn said:
Yeah, in general forest fires are nature's way of spring cleaning. Out west, especially, they clear out all the crap on the forest floor so new stuff can grow. By stopping them we end up just creating fuel for bigger fires in years to come.

But it's different in heavily urbanized/populated areas like FL. Was watching the news and they talked about a fire at Universal today. Scary stuff! The Universal one was on a fireworks truck, I think. Just waiting for Disney to scrap the explosives for a while.

I just checked and the NWS doesn't have any fire danger warnings in effect for the WDW area. Due to that I would doubt they will cancel the shows just yet though. Where's Boo52 at? I'm sure he'd be able to tell us a lot more.

ToTBellHop

jmvd20 said:
I just checked and the NWS doesn't have any fire danger warnings in effect for the WDW area. Due to that I would doubt they will cancel the shows just yet though. Where's Boo52 at? I'm sure he'd be able to tell us a lot more.
I don't think Disney would ever cancel the shows--just take out the low-level pyro. The fireworks that explode high in the air shouldn't really pose any risk, and for IllumiNations, really nothing should pose too much of a risk since it's all over water. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some of the effects for Fantasmic! and lower level Wishes stuff for a couple weeks before the rain comes in to help out, though (the forecast is increasingly optimistic on that front).

Number_6

Nicole said:
I am driving down from NC on Saturday. I apologize that I don't know what counties are where on the route (I-95 to Daytona, then I-4 to WDW). I generally travel without a map but will bring one this time. Might I need an alternate route? Any suggestions?

For the moment, you should be fine. Actually, the diversion around the closures on I-95 send people down I-4, so as it stands right now, the main wildfire is south of where you'll be exiting I-95.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom