Cell Phones?

Tot Fan

Original Poster
I was wondering if cell phones are allowed in the park? I'm sure they are but I thought I would just check before I do anything. Also, are cell phones a good idea to take into the park or something I should stay away from?

Thank You,
Zach:)

tenchu

I know people say that phones or walkie talkies are good for communicating in the parks, but I've never tried.

tenchu

I would try it, but my phone works in britain, so even if it could work in Florida it would cost loads of money!

Tot Fan

Original Poster
Alright, I'll give em' a try. Also, how do you get your own Avatar under your user name? I've tried but I guess it's too big. Anyway I could make it smaller, or a web site I could choose one from . Any kind of information would be useful.

tenchu

There's a whole section on this under technical help or something. There should be a description of how to put one up there. My tip though is that once you've uploaded your avatar, go back and check 'use custom avatar' again, as it has a habit of clicking off again and you get stuck with one of the standard ones.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
be advised though, about the cellphones.

1-some rides have IR cameras, and some phones have IR ports. I've seen rides stopped when a CM mistook the IR port on the phone for a video camera w/ external lighting (like twice.. most people don't use the phones during rides)

2-not all providers will get service in all of WDW. AT&T, Cingular, Sprint, and Voicestream are ok. They get reception in most areas. Nextel is excellent. They even get reception in the MK tunnels (the only phones that do)

We use our Cingular Nokias as walkie-talkie's while we're in WDW -- we haven't had a "no service" signal yet. We have a nationwide plan with 2000 minutes, so it doesn't cost us anything extra. It's the best thing we've ever done because now we can split up for small amonts of time when we don't want to do the same thing (hubby on Star Tours, me on ToT, hubby to Lego store, me to Disney Home Store -- that kind of thing) and not have to worry about meeting at a specific time and place, which can be tough when you don't know what kind of lines/new products you're going to find.

disneytati

Hi, guys!
I have never tried cell phones, as I don't think there are brazilian phones that work in other countries. What I have always used as a tour guide are walkie talkies, and they work really well, and helped us get our group together after split-ups. Like one tour guide goes with the boys to espn, and the other goes with the girls to buy plush toys at World of Disney, or one goes with the kids to fantasyland, and the other goes with the teens to tomorrowland or splash mountain. It works really well!!!!

Kisses from Brazil!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by disneytati
I don't think there are brazilian phones that work in other countries.

my Nextel works in brazil... about the only places I know it won't work at are Colombia and Puerto Rico (it was really frustrating having o go an buy a Sprint so I could get service when I go home to PR)

Kontra

I have Sprint service on my cell and it worked fine in all of WDW. Two-Way Radios can be fun in WDW just because it's cool to talk to other people in the parks, but unless you have the newer Motorolla 5 mile models, it's easy to get out of range, even while in the same parks.

T

Tom

My signal level was very low with AT&T at the Wilderness Lodge, but was very good at the parks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have enough of students cell phones going of during class without listening to the damn things on holiday. Worse still are the muppets who spend their days playing games on them.

Invero

Originally posted by Tot Fan
I was wondering if cell phones are allowed in the park? I'm sure they are but I thought I would just check before I do anything. Also, are cell phones a good idea to take into the park or something I should stay away from

Most cell phone providers should work on Property... I've heard a few people say Sprint PCS has some patchy spots... I'd imagine a few others might as well. Being the seeminly only person in Florida without a cell phone, I dont know first hand.

I do encourage though, that proper cell phone ettiquette be used... ie... set to vibrate mode, refrain from talking on it while experiencing an attraction, and don't talk so loud that everyone can hear what you're saying... :)

woofboy111

My cell phone works in the parks as long as you're outside (its a cingular). When you go inside any kind of building, the service cuts out. My phone does the same thing in my school, so it's not just at disney.

2much2do

Two questions:
Anybody ever use a Tracfone?? Should I even botheer bringing it? It is a nationwide service, but not sure. I mostly want it for emergencies (like if I lose one of the kids, :lol: )

Also, someone mentioned the five mile radius thing. Well, I have Motorola Talkabouts that have a two mile radius. Anybody use those, or something similar??? Should I bother with those???

Any help would be great!

Leaving in three days and going outta my mind!!!!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

stingrock23

I have Sprint. I didn't try it in the parks, but i had bad reception at the all-star resort. half the time i had no signal at all. I guess the signal may be stronger in the parks, but i 'm not sure.

dides

you can't put your own avatar up until you post a # of posts, I don't remember how many you need, sorry.

I have talked on a verizon cell phone in epcot to my house in Pa.but it does cost a few bucks to use them in Fl.

Alright, I'll give em' a try. Also, how do you get your own Avatar under your user name? I've tried but I guess it's too big. Anyway I could make it smaller, or a web site I could choose one from . Any kind of information would be useful.

Disney4648

I was wondering if cell phones are allowed in the park? I'm sure they are but I thought I would just check before I do anything. Also, are cell phones a good idea to take into the park or something I should stay away from?

Thank You,
Zach:)

Yes or course their allowed in the park. But why would you want to be bothered on a disney vacation?:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom