Castle Wall Turrets

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The other end of the fantasyland wall, opposite Pinocchio and between Pooh and where SWSA used to be, will that ever join with the building or are they going to leave that end open?

The new castle wall end between what was SWSA and Pooh although I still believe there will be a gap between the end of the wall and the buildings. Here is an image I did a while back that shows where the wall will go.

CastleWallOverlay.jpg

muteki

Thanks, I was trying to remember if the original art showed where it ended but I don't think it was clear.

Probably a good idea to leave one end open, so as not to create a bottleneck.

invader

Original Poster
Sorry, didn't get any pics today as we ended up not going to MK and only AK / MGM.

But, yes, @Patricia Melton, I do believe it will be Rapunzel (Tangled) themed. The plans Lee posted had shown that it had been planned for a "themed tower" which looked very similar to Rapunzel's. What I believe to be the base / foundation is actually in place on the top of the hill, closely behind the HM's Animal Graveyard.

etwtec

Just a thought but does anyone else think, not this year, but in a year or so they will add the Christmas castle dreamlights to the wall? Seems inevitable.

Patricia Melton

Sorry, didn't get any pics today as we ended up not going to MK and only AK / MGM.

But, yes, @Patricia Melton, I do believe it will be Rapunzel (Tangled) themed. The plans Lee posted had shown that it had been planned for a "themed tower" which looked very similar to Rapunzel's. What I believe to be the base / foundation is actually in place on the top of the hill, closely behind the HM's Animal Graveyard.

AquaDuck --

Any idea how they will keep the Rapunzel theme from intruding into Liberty Square?

How will they control the sight lines from Liberty Square into this Rapunzel area? Will the Rapunzel tower look like it's part of the Mansion or something from one side but then when you cross into Fantasyland it looks like it's Rapunzel's or something?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
AquaDuck --

Any idea how they will keep the Rapunzel theme from intruding into Liberty Square?

How will they control the sight lines from Liberty Square into this Rapunzel area? Will the Rapunzel tower look like it's part of the Mansion or something from one side but then when you cross into Fantasyland it looks like it's Rapunzel's or something?

Here is a colorized version of the site plan that one of our members did of the area. You can see how they can use the landscaping to separate the themed area from Liberty Square. As for the tower, with a combination of trees and maybe some alternate themeing on the back of tower it should be pretty easy to hide it from the mansion.

FL-Restroom-Plan-lowres.jpg

WDWFanDave

Here is a colorized version of the site plan that one of our members did of the area. You can see how they can use the landscaping to separate the themed area from Liberty Square. As for the tower, with a combination of trees and maybe some alternate themeing on the back of tower it should be pretty easy to hide it from the mansion.

And the masters of forced perspective will likely be involved regarding the tower...remember that Beast's castle in the FLE is only what 8-10 feet tall...I'm sure that Rapunzel's tower will look amazing, but will be developed in the same manner. Can't wait to see this all done...going at the end of Sept and know there's little chance of it being done by then, so now perusing the calendar for some Spring 2013 time to visit...not just for this, but for the other FLE stuff that will open after we've been this year. Thanks, danlb_2000, for reposting that here!

Patricia Melton

Can anyone here decipher the green circle things that are concentric? You see them by the Yankee Trader and elsewhere. I know this is elevation studies...but I can't tell how high it will be. Are these really big hills they are building?

jt04

Can anyone here decipher the green circle things that are concentric? You see them by the Yankee Trader and elsewhere. I know this is elevation studies...but I can't tell how high it will be. Are these really big hills they are building?

The closer the lines are together the steeper the terrain. I would guess each line represents one foot in elevation change.

Magic Lamp

The lines just indicate that the planter elevation drops near the water features and raises near the buildings and walls.

If you look closely, the upper passageway is designed as a bridge where the water from the tower flows from underneath it and towards a small pond next to the lower passage.

lexgoodsir

Was at MK yesterday and during the day they had attached white bottoms to each of the turrets and taken down the first panel of asking from the scaffolding, will put pics up soon. The other big thing we saw was they started to lay grass to the top of both little mermaid and be our guest mountains! It looks fantastic and they are really motoring ahead, no doubt we will see fully grassed tops to the cliffs by some time next week.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Was at MK yesterday and during the day they had attached white bottoms to each of the turrets and taken down the first panel of asking from the scaffolding, will put pics up soon. The other big thing we saw was they started to lay grass to the top of both little mermaid and be our guest mountains! It looks fantastic and they are really motoring ahead, no doubt we will see fully grassed tops to the cliffs by some time next week.

Real grass? If so, awesome.....although it sounds like a landscappers nightmare (speaking as someone who owned a golf course).

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Looking at the plans above, it seems that the tower that everyone is referring to, is in the same location as the origin of the water feature. Has a tower actually been confirmed, because I don't remember Rapunzal's tower having water around, or coming out of it (in the movie)?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looking at the plans above, it seems that the tower that everyone is referring to, is in the same location as the origin of the water feature. Has a tower actually been confirmed, because I don't remember Rapunzal's tower having water around, or coming out of it (in the movie)?

Yes, Lee posted a segment of the plans in one of the threads here that had that area label Rapunzal's Tower. There a waterfall near the tower in the movie so they may just be using creative license and having it come from near the tower.

Stupido

I don't remember what thread it was, but someone posted the actual plans for the area. It's going to be beautiful. It looks like the scene in the town, where Rapunzel is drawing on the ground. They have a lot of those designs all over. It's going to be a beautiful area when finished.

Magic Lamp

There is water in the original concept drawing:

tangled-tower.jpg

Patricia Melton

I don't remember what thread it was, but someone posted the actual plans for the area. It's going to be beautiful. It looks like the scene in the town, where Rapunzel is drawing on the ground. They have a lot of those designs all over. It's going to be a beautiful area when finished.

People keep referring to the plans being posted but I have never seen them. Anyone who is reading this who knows where they are, can you link or post them again?

I tried searching for them to no avail. I really want to see the concept sketches for this area and see what the tower in particular is going to look like.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
People keep referring to the plans being posted but I have never seen them. Anyone who is reading this who knows where they are, can you link or post them again?

I tried searching for them to no avail. I really want to see the concept sketches for this area and see what the tower in particular is going to look like.

The section of the plans showing the tower can be found in this post:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fantasyland-aerials-july-5.840604/page-3#post-5021969

And this thread shows the original plans that the colorized version I posted above where based on:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/skyway-station-area-redesign.708338/

FutureWorld1982

In June 2011, there were some plants placed on the rock-work of the Little Mermaid as part of a test (I have some videos). It looks like it is finally time to install them for good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom