Cast saddened by loss of elephant fetus at Disney's Animal Kingdom

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Cast saddened by loss of elephant fetus at Disney's Animal Kingdom
04/08/2003

LAKE BUENA VISTA (Eyes and Ears) -- Veterinarians and elephant managers at Disney's Animal Kingdom were deeply saddened on April 8 when they determined that the calf of Robin, a pregnant African elephant, no longer is viable.
Labor started prior to 4 a.m. on April 6 for the 33-year-old, first-time mother. Strong initial contractions lessened during the first 24 hours, and many unsuccessful attempts were made to induce productive labor. Unfortunately, the team has concluded that the calf has died in the womb.

"This is a time of profound loss for the dedicated team of people who have been working tirelessly for the past two years," said Dr. Beth Stevens, vice president of Disney's Animal Kingdom. "While this news is extremely disheartening, they are continuing to devote their energy to the health and well being of the mother. That is our main focus going forward."

The staff at Disney's Animal Kingdom spent a tremendous amount of time preparing for every possible scenario for this pregnancy with the knowledge that African elephant births often are difficult. Since 1994, there have been 15 African elephant pregnancies in North America, and only five of those have resulted in healthy calves. One reason is that many of the elephants giving birth in zoos and wildlife parks are first-time mothers -- just as the elephant at Disney's Animal Kingdom is -- and it is not unusual for those elephant mothers to lose their first calves. Elephants in the wild also experience difficult pregnancies when they are first-time mothers.

Robin became pregnant through artificial insemination on June 16, 2001. Disney's Animal Kingdom has two additional pregnant elephants -- one through artificial insemination and one through natural means. The first of these births is anticipated in early summer this year and the second is anticipated during Summer 2004.

Importance of breeding programs

African elephants are classified as endangered species by IUCN, the World Conservation Union, and their future in zoos and wildlife parks is complicated as the aging elephant population in North American zoos passes its reproductive prime.

Disney's Animal Kingdom has a breeding program that is part of a cooperative effort coordinated by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association that is focused on sustaining the elephant population in North America.

AZA's Elephant Species Survival Plan has called for a five-fold increase in African elephant reproduction efforts, using both natural and artificial breeding methods to create a self-sustaining elephant population among North American zoos and wildlife centers.

STGRhost

Oh, no! Oh...wow...they must be devestated. My friends at DAK were soo excited about this... How sad.
Really, what else is there to say? I hope they keep trying, though, and that the mother recovers....

SpongeScott

Kudos to Disney for trying hard to save the calf, but sometimes nature takes it course over what we attempt to do in our human frailties. Maybe the tide will turn with another attempt.

kennyj29

All the hard work by the cast, they must feel awful. But hopefully the other two elephants that are pregnant will have successful births........keep the faith!

ToTBellHop

While I am also saddened to hear about the loss, I am also encouraged to hear that two more of the elephants are pregnant. Hopefully, the calf due to be born this summer will do better--I know Disney is doing an amazing job with these animals, regardless, which is why many zoos around America are trying to mimic its breeding program--it is the best! Best of luck to Robin, the other two pregnant elephants, and their calves!

WDW John

Curious

Originally posted by mktiggerman
One reason is that many of the elephants giving birth in zoos and wildlife parks are first-time mothers -- just as the elephant at Disney's Animal Kingdom is -- and it is not unusual for those elephant mothers to lose their first calves.

Interesting about first-time mothers. Does anyone know if the other two pregnant elephants are also first-timers?

CTXRover

I'm very sad to hear this news too. It must be heartbreaking for all of the cast who worked so hard over the last two or so years during her pregnancy, not to mention the mother herself. I truly hope she is doing fine.

Hopefully the nest two expected babies will go a little better. One thing that I think is excellent is that one of these pregnancies occured through natural means. I am pretty sure almost all "zoos" have had trouble not only having successful African Elephant births, but also getting them to mate in captivity. A true breakthrough for the amazing facility at AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom