Cast Member Wages

NelsonRD

There is a huge difference between a person gaining wealth because of their talents and what they return, individually, to that income. A CEO of a company the size of Disney is a run by committee type of setup. Almost no big time CEO does it alone. They are no more worth the huge salaries then I am. They are worth significant compensation for their ability to hold the rudder in a steady, directed manner, but, they wouldn't go anywhere without the people operating the oars.

It not that they get paid a lot, it's because of the obscenities of the amounts that are ridiculous. Take Mr. Iger, for example, he is making, probably more in 6 months then Walt did in his lifetime. (adjusted for inflation) What did he create, what foundation did he build? None, he is riding the coattails of a man that has been dead for 50 years. Some great accomplishment. That is what I would consider shameful wealth. He didn't earn it, somebody else did and now he's just standing around catching the spoils of that luck.

Anyone that went out and actually took chances, innovated, created and put his reputation on the line to create his or her wealth, deserve it. I doubt that any of them are embarrassed to buy their daughter a new automobile. However, if they base their net value on what "goodies" they can give to their children, then their running a little insecure themselves. That VW didn't hurt the little princess, in fact, it might have helped her gain a little reality perspective.

Part of being a good CEO is the people they associate with. Have you ever seen what a CEO does on a daily basis? Have you ever worked along side of an executive? Walt created the Disney icon, but Iger from a business standpoint has been very successful. Just because the boat on splash mountain has a light out, doesn't take that away. You are suggesting that Iger does nothing but play golf all day, and was just simply given this high paying CEO job, and that is very ignorant.

When a CEO makes a decision we do not like, there is outrage. However, other industries do not have this. When a musician puts out a terrible album, or an actor has a bad movie, or athlete has a bad season, there is still support. However, we are ready to dismiss Iger because he didn't make some decisions you might have made as CEO.

Again, happiness begins when we stop looking over our shoulders at what others are doing, and how much they are making.

CaptainAmerica

As a Cast Member I take a lot of offense to this statement. Unless you are a Cast Member I don't think you can accurately make this statement. Although some jobs at WDW don't take a lot of technical talent to perform their role it certainly doesn't mean that it doesn't take a lot of skill. Never judge a person unless you've walked a mile in their shoes and know what it takes.
@Aaron O may have phrased his point poorly, but he's exactly correct. An entry level CM position is a no-skill position. Being friendly and polite is not a "skill" as far as the workforce is concerned. Yes, they're necessary to be good at your job and I certainly know they're not easy (I worked at McDonald's for years and it required many of those same traits), but they're not marketable skills. Anyone can be friendly and polite. For something to be a marketable skill it needs to set you apart from your peers. Not everyone can do accounting, or weld, or do plumbing, or do electrical, or write computer code, or lead other people. Those are skills. And those cast members who demonstrate those skills (especially the last one) will advance accordingly.

betty rose

@Aaron O may have phrased his point poorly, but he's exactly correct. An entry level CM position is a no-skill position. Being friendly and polite is not a "skill" as far as the workforce is concerned. Yes, they're necessary to be good at your job and I certainly know they're not easy (I worked at McDonald's for years and it required many of those same traits), but they're not marketable skills. Anyone can be friendly and polite. For something to be a marketable skill it needs to set you apart from your peers. Not everyone can do accounting, or weld, or do plumbing, or do electrical, or write computer code, or lead other people. Those are skills. And those cast members who demonstrate those skills (especially the last one) will advance accordingly.
Definition of skill according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary...."the ability to use one's knowledge and readily in execution or performance...."as he has excellent social skills."

CaptainAmerica

Definition of skill according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary...."the ability to use one's knowledge and readily in execution or performance...."as he has excellent social skills."
Again you're missing the point. When talking about entry-level wages, it's not about using skills while you're on the job, it's about whether you need those skills to get the job in the first place. Yes, it takes those skills be be a good cast member but it does not require those skills to be hired as a cast member. Therefore, the candidates without those skills (and therefore willing to work for less money) drag the entry-level wage down for everyone.

betty rose

Again you're missing the point. When talking about entry-level wages, it's not about using skills while you're on the job, it's about whether you need those skills to get the job in the first place. Yes, it takes those skills be be a good cast member but it does not require those skills to be hired as a cast member. Therefore, the candidates without those skills (and therefore willing to work for less money) drag the entry-level wage down for everyone.
I'm not going to argue with you about this point. I gave you an authoritative reference for the definition of "skill"

CaptainAmerica

I'm not going to argue with you about this point. I gave you an authoritative reference for the definition of "skill"
I'm not arguing about the definition of skill. I'm stating that loads of cast members who do not have those skills are hired all the time. I did not say that individuals without skills would be successful, but they absolutely get hired.

betty rose

I'm not arguing about the definition of skill. I'm stating that loads of cast members who do not have those skills are hired all the time. I did not say that individuals without skills would be successful, but they absolutely get hired.
Too move on, I will defend my reference to the CM's they are very skilled, handling the public, if they needed no skills, why go through training?

CaptainAmerica

Too move on, I will defend my reference to the CM's they are very skilled, handling the public, if they needed no skills, why go through training?
Cast member training is largely about company policies and procedures, not skill development. With the way you're defining "skill," every job on the planet would be a highly skilled job. That's not how these things are discussed within an economic context.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/unskilled-labor.asp

DEFINITION of 'Unskilled Labor'
A segment of the work force associated with a low skill level or a limited economic value for the work performed (human capital). Unskilled labor is generally characterized by low education levels and small wages. Work that requires no specific education or experience is often available to workers who fall into the unskilled labor force.

INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'Unskilled Labor'
Unskilled labor provides a significant part of the overall labor market, performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities or skills. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. Jobs that can be fully learned in less than 30 days often fall into the unskilled labor category.

NelsonRD

There is a huge difference between a person gaining wealth because of their talents and what they return, individually, to that income. A CEO of a company the size of Disney is a run by committee type of setup. Almost no big time CEO does it alone. They are no more worth the huge salaries then I am. They are worth significant compensation for their ability to hold the rudder in a steady, directed manner, but, they wouldn't go anywhere without the people operating the oars.

It not that they get paid a lot, it's because of the obscenities of the amounts that are ridiculous. Take Mr. Iger, for example, he is making, probably more in 6 months then Walt did in his lifetime. (adjusted for inflation) What did he create, what foundation did he build? None, he is riding the coattails of a man that has been dead for 50 years. Some great accomplishment. That is what I would consider shameful wealth. He didn't earn it, somebody else did and now he's just standing around catching the spoils of that luck.

Anyone that went out and actually took chances, innovated, created and put his reputation on the line to create his or her wealth, deserve it. I doubt that any of them are embarrassed to buy their daughter a new automobile. However, if they base their net value on what "goodies" they can give to their children, then their running a little insecure themselves. That VW didn't hurt the little princess, in fact, it might have helped her gain a little reality perspective.

Lastly, if you think Disney is on cruise control, and people are going to go no matter who is CEO, I should remind you of the 1980's, and what a good CEO vs bad CEO can do. Apple, Ford, etc.. are other good examples of what a good CEO can do for business.

And you are right, that VW did teach a young 16 year old girl a lesson, it was a lesson about jealously, and ignorance. Much dirtier concepts than wealth and success.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
What skills do the holders of entry level positions posses? One might argue that they posses skills from prior jobs. One might have a point, but the entry level positions generally are those that you develop skills in for a said company. There are always market factors such as an abundance of labor, a continual stream of people who look at entry level pay and know it's better pay level than where they are from or quite possibly a number of people who are not relying on an entry level position pay scale to support a lifestyle. Heck, when I retire I would work for the Mouse for free just for park access.

betty rose

What skills do the holders of entry level positions posses? One might argue that they posses skills from prior jobs. One might have a point, but the entry level positions generally are those that you develop skills in for a said company. There are always market factors such as an abundance of labor, a continual stream of people who look at entry level pay and know it's better pay level than where they are from or quite possibly a number of people who are not relying on an entry level position pay scale to support a lifestyle. Heck, when I retire I would work for the Mouse for free just for park access.
I see I"m going to be the whipping person of the day.:D

Goofyernmost

Part of being a good CEO is the people they associate with. Have you ever seen what a CEO does on a daily basis? Have you ever worked along side of an executive? Walt created the Disney icon, but Iger from a business standpoint has been very successful. Just because the boat on splash mountain has a light out, doesn't take that away. You are suggesting that Iger does nothing but play golf all day, and was just simply given this high paying CEO job, and that is very ignorant.

When a CEO makes a decision we do not like, there is outrage. However, other industries do not have this. When a musician puts out a terrible album, or an actor has a bad movie, or athlete has a bad season, there is still support. However, we are ready to dismiss Iger because he didn't make some decisions you might have made as CEO.

Again, happiness begins when we stop looking over our shoulders at what others are doing, and how much they are making.
I'm not suggesting any such thing. What I am saying is that there is nothing he could do that would be worth that much. If he were to be gone tomorrow, Disney would still perform at a very high level. This isn't a personal vendetta against Bob Iger, it is a general statement covering a huge number of grossly over paid CEO's.

Thanks for the kind words of understanding. I guess I am ignorant, but, I also am expressing my opinion. I went an extra few feet to say that "FOR EXAMPLE", he is overpaid, as are most of his constituents. Are you one of his kids or something?

jloucks

Why is it always demonizing the amount of money people make when they work in industry, however, for some reason I never read complaints about the entertainment industry, or sports? Yeah, sometimes there is some backlash about an athlete making millions, or an actor making 1M per episode. However, there are just as many people in those industries that make millions, and provide something of way less entertainment value than Disney. Just turn on the TV on any channel for an example of what I am talking about. Where is the, these guys are making too much money, or wage gap in actors, or equality in sports salary, or bad acting outrage, in the news weekly, why are they immune to this?

And this wage gap everybody is so concerned about, it starts in school. We keep demonizing success and the rich as evil, greedy people - and that is just wrong. When I was in school, there was never any push for us to be CEOs, or executives, or entrepreneurs. When I was a kid, it was go to school, get a job, and you can have you 2.5 kids, colonial house with a white picket fence, and minivan. Some dream of more than that. You want to reduce this gap, it starts with giving people the dreams and tools on how to succeed to make more money, not criminalizing the ones who have found a way to do it. I have worked with many 'rich' people, and they are very open about giving advice on how to make money, and very generous. It not a secret.

Worth, as you put it, is what somebody is willing to pay. If somebody sees value in what a person can offer, and pay them millions for that service, good for them. I can make the same argument about home values, or anything else that is 'more than it should be'.

A wealthy guy I know bought his daughter a used beetle convertible to drive to high school. How nice right? Nope, she was ridiculed when she took it to school as 'look what rich daddy bought for her'. A proud father couldn't even give his daughter a small gift and be happy about it. That is wrong.

I understand there is hardship, we all deal with it, but its not the fault of somebody that makes more money.

I don't think you think you are defining 'Wage Gap' the way most do.

Somebody else said it, so I will keep it short... wage gap has to do with the exorbitant difference in salaries based on capitalizing on other peoples skillsets for your own gain.

It is impossible to earn a billion dollars. Others have to earn lesser amounts and you appropriate a portion of this for yourself.

A person can only earn so much. After that, other forces/people are in play.

Goofyernmost

Lastly, if you think Disney is on cruise control, and people are going to go no matter who is CEO, I should remind you of the 1980's, and what a good CEO vs bad CEO can do. Apple, Ford, etc.. are other good examples of what a good CEO can do for business.

And you are right, that VW did teach a young 16 year old girl a lesson, it was a lesson about jealously, and ignorance. Much dirtier concepts than wealth and success.
Seriously, if you were to query the guest, my guess is that no more then 20% of them would have even heard of Bob Iger, much less flock to Disney because of all his creative talent. Although, in my past posts, I was being general with an example of Iger used, no one goes to WDW or see's a movie because B.I. is in charge. There are at least a couple of generations that don't even know who Walt Disney was and don't care. They just like what the experience gives them.

Lesson in jealousy and ignorance? How about more of a lesson in humility and base understanding of what life is like for those without the benefit of a rich Daddy. That would be the lesson learned, they already know about the jealousy because many cherish it. Ignorance, well, that was really a revelation. Ignorance of what? Ignorance about how much of a burden it is to be rich?

ryguy

When I worked at Disney (Hourly) it was people under 25 looking to pad a resume or retired age people who were bored or looking to make some extra money to add to SS or pension. At least in the area I worked, which was selling tickets at Epcot. The managers were middle aged who worked their way up through the ranks.

I was there to do my own "College Program". I enjoyed my time at Disney, and crossed it off my bucket list. Everyone I worked with was very nice. If the money was better I may have stayed.

betty rose

Absolutely no hard feelings.
Thanks, I've given posting a second thought, not because of any one thing. Maybe my perspective is just too old. I will say, I love the lively exchanges that can happen on these threads....but I realize I'm coming from an "era" gone by... It's the new generations time, to make a world that suits their time, as we tried to due in our era. We made mistakes, and I'm sorry for that....but I've tried to learn from my mistakes...Obviously not very well. I will still read the posts as I'm trying to keep this old brain current. If I've offended anyone, for that I'm sorry, (also sorry to be using this thread), not to say good by, but to say, I need to read a lot more on here, to understand . Maybe I should look for an AARP thread. :D I will be posting once in a while but not a much as I've been doing. I think I've "worn out my welcome". A very old cliché. Thanks for all the poster's I'm not leaving , just saying I'm taking time off for a while......Unless, (there's always an unless, isn't there?) Something catches my eye and I have a question, or comment. It is truly fun to be on here.:) No reply necessary. Too add one more thing, as Roz say's I'm watching you, always watching you. :D:D:D

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom