Cash-Strapped Disney

MrHorse

The marginal cost of ADDING a user is nominal but the cost of a user actually streaming a 4K HD movie is about $1.00 in internet transit fees as transit costs about $0.01 per gigabyte, OTOH a DVD quality movie is about $0.06-$0.08 so adding subscribers costs REAL money.

You're probably dramatically overestimating the cost of delivery. There's no way the majority of their streams are in 4k. If I had to guess, it's probably a fairly small chunk.
100GB is also a very heavy estimate. Between compression and only sending the audio streams you're actually listening to, the bandwidth required to stream a 4K movie is closer to 10-20GB.
On top of all that, D+ content is disproportionately older and animated stuff that compresses especially well.

If you're curious, you can monitor your router while you stream a movie. You shouldn't see anywhere near the ~15MB/s it would take to stream 100GB in 2 hours.

skypilot2922

You're probably dramatically overestimating the cost of delivery. There's no way the majority of their streams are in 4k. If I had to guess, it's probably a fairly small chunk.
100GB is also a very heavy estimate. Between compression and only sending the audio streams you're actually listening to, the bandwidth required to stream a 4K movie is closer to 10-20GB.
On top of all that, D+ content is disproportionately older and animated stuff that compresses especially well.

If you're curious, you can monitor your router while you stream a movie. You shouldn't see anywhere near the ~15MB/s it would take to stream 100GB in 2 hours.

i do internet and 5G infrastructure for a living I’m very well acquainted with how much it costs to transfer a GB of traffic. But even at the low end 20 cents per movie multiply by millions and you have real money at stake

jinx8402

i do internet and 5G infrastructure for a living I’m very well acquainted with how much it costs to transfer a GB of traffic. But even at the low end 20 cents per movie multiply by millions and you have real money at stake
They are no where near 100gb per movie. Even 20gb is high. At the highest video/audio settings, Disney themselves say it is 7.7gb per hour.

MrHorse

But it changes the math drastically. At $1/film a user might easily cost more than their subscription earns.
At a few cent an hour, that's practically impossible.

skypilot2922

They are no where near 100gb per movie. Even 20gb is high. At the highest video/audio settings, Disney themselves say it is 7.7gb per hour.

Then the quality is to put it bluntly CRAP as the bitrate for a 4K SDI stream is 35-55 Mb/Sec, One more reason not to pay for D+ You can't compress video that much and expect decent quality.

But,but it's Disney they have MAGICAL compression tech.....

jinx8402

Then the quality is to put it bluntly CRAP as the bitrate for a 4K SDI stream is 35-55 Mb/Sec, One more reason not to pay for D+ You can't compress video that much and expect decent quality.

But,but it's Disney they have MAGICAL compression tech.....

Netflix quotes 7GB per hour for 4k. I couldn't find anything concrete from Amazon, but things point to 6.8GB per hour. I think this is pretty standard for streaming services. Of course it won't hit the bitrate that you get from 4k BluRay, which of course is why 4k BluRay looks better. It is uncompressed (or at least, not as compressed).

skypilot2922

Netflix quotes 7GB per hour for 4k. I couldn't find anything concrete from Amazon, but things point to 6.8GB per hour. I think this is pretty standard for streaming services. Of course it won't hit the bitrate that you get from 4k BluRay, which of course is why 4k BluRay looks better. It is uncompressed (or at least, not as compressed).

Not being a Netflix user - now I have a reason to skip Netflix subscription as well, A high quality 4K bitstream is a lot of data and looks like the streaming industry is taking lessons from the consumer products industry like a 'quart' of Ice Cream actually being 24 Oz instead of 32.

Amazon is way way over-compressed but because they have shows going back almost to the beginning of time I take the tradeoff but I'm a prime member primarily for delivery as primary office even pre-covid was at home so the video streaming is a nice 'extra' but not my reason for belonging

jinx8402

Not being a Netflix user - now I have a reason to skip Netflix subscription as well, A high quality 4K bitstream is a lot of data and looks like the streaming industry is taking lessons from the consumer products industry like a 'quart' of Ice Cream actually being 24 Oz instead of 32.

Amazon is way way over-compressed but because they have shows going back almost to the beginning of time I take the tradeoff but I'm a prime member primarily for delivery as primary office even pre-covid was at home so the video streaming is a nice 'extra' but not my reason for belonging
OK. Then don't stream anything, because the standard is about 7GB per hour for 4k. HBO Max is the same. They are ALL around the same because data limits exist, and they know they need to do some type of compression. Again, if you can only watch movies with the absolute best PQ, physical media is your only option

But that wasn't the point. The point was you claimed at $.01 per GB Disney was paying $1 in bandwidth per movie just to stream. When, in fact, A. we don't know what they pay per GB and B. most movies will only be around 10-15GB with only 2.5-3hr blockbusters being anywhere close to 20GB. There is a major difference between what is likely 8-15 cents vs 1 dollar per movie.

skypilot2922

OK. Then don't stream anything, because the standard is about 7GB per hour for 4k. HBO Max is the same. They are ALL around the same because data limits exist, and they know they need to do some type of compression. Again, if you can only watch movies with the absolute best PQ, physical media is your only option

But that wasn't the point. The point was you claimed at $.01 per GB Disney was paying $1 in bandwidth per movie just to stream. When, in fact, A. we don't know what they pay per GB and B. most movies will only be around 10-15GB with only 2.5-3hr blockbusters being anywhere close to 20GB. There is a major difference between what is likely 8-15 cents vs 1 dollar per movie.

And I was foolish enough to think that Disney might actually give it's customers a full quality stream, Ya know like Apple does... You pay a premium price for Apple products/services and they deliver a premium experience what a radical concept.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And I was foolish enough to think that Disney might actually give it's customers a full quality stream, Ya know like Apple does... You pay a premium price for Apple products/services and they deliver a premium experience what a radical concept.
Umm, Disney+ streams in full 4k with Dolby Vision for those TVs that support it. We have an app on our TV for Disney+, and you can absolutely tell that it is 4k. Of course, we have gigabit ethernet, so no problem with the 25mb needed to stream it.

celluloid

You can request a film or show!

I have definitely been doing that for a long time. When Disney Plus first came out I know my brother in law as well as I asked for the Ewok Adventures. We eventually at least got that, I don't know if others fans requesting it had any pull. But it is nice to know they are somewhere easily accessible.

The classics that are still not there I always mention as well. Not sure if it is goin to change anything. Apparently so many things are either "problematic" or in rights limbo.

lightguy

There's no way in the world that Disney or Netflix or Amazon (Especially Amazon since AWS owns/run half the internet- No, I know they don't ACTUALLY own/run half the internet, but they do own/run a significant fraction of it, I believe more than anyone else in the World) is paying anywhere near those rates to transfer petabytes of data every day. I live in the internet capital of the World and I'm sure one of those buildings is filled with Disney servers siting right on the big network interconnect point. You can also generally tell they don't pay rates like that simply by some back of the napkin math on the number of subscribers they have, the monthly fees and the billions they are telling Wall street they are spending on content.

James Norrie

You're this technically inclined but don't understand compression or data thru-put?

Gringrinngghost

Zack Snyder’s Justice League in 4K was around 30-35GB with Dolby Vision as I recall from my Routers usage logs.

skypilot2922

You're this technically inclined but don't understand compression or data thru-put?

I understand it well enough to have a patent for some aspects of those technologies, I'm also familiar enough to recognize quality loss due to compression and half the stuff in so called 4K would look 100x better in uncompressed standard 480i format and having a stack of video editing gear for 4K at the office also means I know how big a real 4K file is.

Amazon is the worst offender in the compression ratio wars you can easily see the compression artifacts like the image skipping when the camera pans even at 480i

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom