Cars 2 a let down

mp2bill

Too bad it's not that good of a movie...I was kinda looking forward to it. Ah well; that's $20 fewer dollars to spend.

Crockett

Banned
Cars 2 is what happens when the hands of Disney interfere.
^Exactly. While the Disney of modern era has great marketing skill, it falls flat in the imagination dept. I wish they would go back to the original relationship where the wizards of PIXAR did the storylines, etc, while Disney stuck with marketing and kept outta the desiging of the films. Pixar on it's own is pure magic. Disney on it's own is...well (Chicken Little, Meet The Robinsons, The Wild, Bolt, Mars Needs Moms...), those disasters can speak for themselves.

Tell the Mouse to step back, and let Pixar work its magic once again.

BrerFrog

I felt like I was watching a 90-minute hot wheels ad. The movie had its good moments, but it is impossible to shake the feeling that the movie was made to move merchandise.

hokielutz

Did anyone catch the little Pixar Easter egg in the first scene from Radiator Springs??

It was a white VW Bug with striping pulling into Flo's in the background.

Patrick_Ears

We just saw it yesterday. It was okay, we liked the 1st one better. Now the Toy Story Mini, :lol::lol:. That was funny!!!

Ken had me laughing at his camera, click click. :lol::lol: Plus all his luggage.

suechris2

loved it

the whole family went to the Jordans IMAX and loved it. Its nothing like the first cars and thats fine by me. It was non stop action and racing. If you think about it what would they have done if they went for the same feel as the first movie. It would have turned into 2 best friends playing in a field or 2 love birds running an inn.
Going this direction was good. I hope if they do a third they do something completely different as well.
Thumbs UP!

oh and the TS short was good.

Malvito

My wife and I went to see it on Saturday morning. Loved it; we were laughing pretty much from beginning to end.

CARS 2 is not "lower-tier" anything. It is its own movie; a terrific guy on the Bond pictures. There are as many visual references to those as there are to Disney/Pixar history. To those who are going to say that they don't go to a Pixar movie for the action sequences, they must have avoided The Incredibles and checked out for the last half hours of Wall-E and Up.

Leolioness4200

DH and I took my 5 year old niece to see Cars 2 and she got bored with it.....also was kind of a diappointment to DH and I who are lovers of Cars. Thought Pixar could have done a better job with this.

Crockett

Banned
Thought Pixar could have done a better job with this.
Agree. C2 wasn't a horrible film, nor one that I felt ripped-off at the movies for going to see. But it wasn't up to Pixar's level. The studio has set some pretty high standards, so it's bound to fall short a time or two. This was one of those times unfortunately.

David S.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Cars 2 very much, and disagree with all the "critics" who are bashing it. Critics are just people with opinions. As far as I'm concerned, Lasseter and Pixar's reputations have NOT been "tarnished".

Here are some early thoughts after one opening night viewing (at midnight, in 3D). I will put spoilers in white:

I really liked the movie, but not as much as the original. That's not a knock, though, as the original is my NUMBER TWO Pixar film! (yes, I'm one of the Pixar fans who LOVED Cars and doesn't rank it last). The original tugged at my heartstrings more, and touched me very deeply.

I should stress, however, that Cars 2 is NOT a soulless film without heart - it had its warm and sweet moments. It just didn't touch me as deeply as the first.

But there is plenty to like about Cars 2. I found myself laughing out loud several times during the movie. I enjoyed being able to spend some time in the world of these beloved characters once again; and meeting new characters in that world; and the settings in Japan, France, Italy, and the UK were beautiful and brilliantly realized.

As is the case for almost all Disney Animated Classics and Pixar films, I enjoyed it enough for a second or even third theatrical viewing before it leaves, and to own it on DVD. After one viewing, I'd place it my 7th fave of the 12 Pixar films - very respectable, considering the competition. This place could move up or down a few places after a few more viewings, although I think it's safe to say that it won't crack my Top 4 or bottom 3.

So when critics keep saying it's not up to "Pixar" standards, I heartily disagree. Of recent "critically acclaimed" Pixar films, I would rank Ratatouille and Up higher, but I preferred Cars 2 over Toy Story 3 and especially over WALL-E.

Here are a few more random thoughts below, with spoilers in white. Since I deliberately avoid reading about anticipated movies before they come out, I knew almost nothing about the plot before seeing it, other than what I saw in trailers:

I really got a kick out of the Brent Musburger cameo (as Brent Mustangberger), filling in for Bob Costas from the first film. He even got in one of his trademark "You are looking live" during the telecast of the Italy section of the race.

Although Lightning Mc Queen is in the film throughout, Mater plays an even bigger role in the story.

I was sad that Doc Hudson's character was apparently killed off (he is referred to as being no longer with them, or something like that). Kind of odd, because cars wouldn't really "die" unless they blew up or something. Even a bad engine can be replaced, and the same with other bad parts.

I enjoyed the International flavor of this one. It was really nothing like the original in many ways, so no one can accuse them of just retreading old ground. Although, part of the charm of, and reason I liked the original so much, was because of Radiator Springs and it's residents, who all had a much smaller role in this one, except for Lightning and Mater. I was surprised Sally had such a small part. Perhaps if they do a "3", we'll get to spend more time in Radiator Springs again. ;)

The spy plot was interesting, although it unfortunately took a lot of attention away from the race itself. One thing that I liked about the first film was the developed rivalry between "The King", Chick Hicks, and Lightning. In the sequel, I would have enjoyed seeing more of the race - more of the rivalry between Lightning and the Italian car, and also to have developed more info about some the other racers, and more racing footage - and letting this play out to the conclusion of the race in the UK sequence.

I enjoyed the scene where Guido and Luigi get to visit their homeland, Italy! Really charming. There were so many amusing, charming little details in the foreign locales and some fun in-joke/references to other Pixar films.

David S.

^Exactly. While the Disney of modern era has great marketing skill, it falls flat in the imagination dept. I wish they would go back to the original relationship where the wizards of PIXAR did the storylines, etc, while Disney stuck with marketing and kept outta the desiging of the films. Pixar on it's own is pure magic. Disney on it's own is...well (Chicken Little, Meet The Robinsons, The Wild, Bolt, Mars Needs Moms...), those disasters can speak for themselves.

Tell the Mouse to step back, and let Pixar work its magic once again.

Wow, kind of harsh, but different strokes for different folks. To be fair, The Wild and Mars Needs Moms were not created by Disney's in-house animation studio (Walt Disney Animation Studios) and are not part of the canon of 50 films going all the way back to Snow White (51 on July 15 when Winnie-the-Pooh comes out). Wild and Mars Needs Moms were created by other studios and merely distributed by Disney. Although I admit it can be confusing, since both films open with the Castle shot and "Walt Disney Pictures" logo. (Source - http://www.disneyanimation.com/aboutus/history.html)

I agree that Chicken Little (film 46 in the official canon of "Disney Animated Classics", or DACs) was not one of WDAS' finest moments, but starting with the next film, Meet the Robinsons, I feel they started to turn things around. This was the first WDAS film that Pixar's John Lasseter had any creative input in, in his new role in charge of WDAS in addition to Pixar. I don't think it was perfect but I thought it was a very interesting concept with intriguing twists, and the ending has the type of heart that Disney and Pixar are known for.

And I absolutely LOVE Bolt, more than most Pixar movies! It's a fun, sweet, movie about a girl and her dog that has a lot of heart and an awesome, uplifting, heartwarming ending. It has humor; great lovable characters; significant growth on the part of Bolt, Mittens, and Penny; and a humorous and effective jab of the shallow superficiality of the Hollywood "showbiz" culture and mentality.

And to be fair, the last two films WDAS released after Bolt were Princess and the Frog and Tangled - IMO two more high notes light years better than Chicken Little, The Wild, and Mars Needs Moms. Like Bolt, I enjoy Frog and Tangled better than more than half of the Pixar films, and to me they are an amazing return to the form of the classic Disney fairy-tale musical, but both in a fresh and original way. Both have humor, heart, adventure, magic, and great songs!

So I think WDAS is actually on a bit of a roll, but that's just my opinion! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom