Carrousel Of Progress

Scooter

Original Poster
Maybe I missed something and I know this subject has come up before but I'm getting concerned.

I was told by a cast member in September that The Carrousel of Progress was down temporarily until the attendance numbers are back to normal.

I have been reading that attendance is up and Disney is starting to hire again so I assume business is picking up again.

Can someone tell me or maybe ask for me when you go to Disney World if they plan on opening C.O.P. and when?

Is is closed for good? I havn't heard, but if it is, I'm gonna be awfully upset.:cry: :mad: :mad:

ToTBellHop

It's supposed to be closed for good...they have been waiting for a reason to close it for a while....who knows what its replacement might be...although I hope it's not a meet-and-greet...the old Timekeeper area kinda covers this anyway.
Kyle

Mr Bill

HOPE

THIS IS STRAIGHT FROM THE DISNEY WEBSITE.
Magic Kingdom® Park
Mike Fink Keelboats are open seasonally
The Timekeeper is open seasonally
Carousel of Progress is open seasonally
there is still a thin ray hope.
THERES A GREAT BIG BEAUTITIFUL TOMORROW PAGING MR MORROW TOM MORROW YOUR PARTY FROM SATURN A DIFFERENT KIND OF COMPANY A DIFFERENT KIND OF CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM.
I AM GOING TO DISNEY AS SOON AS I SET THE CHRISTMAS TREE UP AND WILL BE SURE TO ASK!

ToTBellHop

there is a small amount of hope, but we already know Timekeeper is closed for good...not sure I ever trust the disney website on things like this...they said they were working to get the web cams up for like 4 months before finally just taking any allusions to the cams off the website...

Mr Bill

I will try to get a response from a cast member by the 16th. I am usually successful because I don't give up until I ge an answer. I have proof too just look at my collection of NASCAR autographs ;-)

NowInc

Originally posted by Mr Bill
I will try to get a response from a cast member by the 16th. I am usually successful because I don't give up until I ge an answer. I have proof too just look at my collection of NASCAR autographs ;-)

Good luck...they are told to answer certain ways...and even then...you are assuming that the CM knows the TRUTH.

As for disneys site....I reallllly dont believe anything they say on there. Horizons was just supposed to be temporarily closed...remember?

Tom Morrow

I was at Disney a month ago (and I miss it already), and Carousel of Progress was not even marked as an attraction on the park map, but they still announced it on the Tommorland Transit Authority. You know, "NOW APPROACHING WALT DISNEY'S CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS!" However, it did not announce Time Keeper, it just announced The Metropolis Science Center and stopped. I guess that means CoP will be open sometimes.

Scooter

Original Poster
Steve..Help me out on this one...doesn't Disney usually notify someone or some source of a permanent closure BEFORE it happens? I havn't heard that the COP was permanently closed at WDW. I remember when they closed COP at Disneyland I freaked out because I thought it was WDW's COP that was closing.

The cast member I talked to in September assured me that although COP was shut down, it was only temporary, until business picks back up.

I know we have WDW cast members who are regulars on this board...maybe you could ask around and verify this.:hammer:

NowInc

you would seriously be suprised at how little they tell CMs about these types of things. The only people who know the fate for sure...are the suits..and they wont say a thing about it until they have concrete plans on replacment.

MrPromey

Originally posted by NowInc
The only people who know the fate for sure...are the suits..and they wont say a thing about it until they have concrete plans on replacment.

Yes, that is the key. Look at 2000 leagues. I don’t think they ever announced that it was closed for good but I think we’re all pretty sure it’s never coming back. With Mr. Toads Wild ride we all knew what was going to replace it before it even closed and they began work on taking out the old ride to put in the new one the day after it closed. In truth, they were probably kicking themselves for announcing this one as a permanent closure as some people started petitions which got a surprising amount of media coverage around here and people protested in the park on the day it closed. If they had just closed it down for mate Nance or said it was a seasonal attraction and let it sit for a while before gutting it and starting work on something new, it would have gone out with a whimper rather than a bang. None of this means that CoP is gone, though. Even after it closed, Timekeeper reopened for a while during a peak time so even that attraction isn’t necessarily gone for good. Until the buildings for these attractions are gutted or torn down, we won’t know anything for sure.

Smee

It makes no sense to me that they shut down COP during the big celebration of Walt's 100th birthday. Everything the man had a personal hand in designing that is still standing should be designated a WDW historical landmark or something. COP should be part of the celebration and should never go away and never close.

If they want the space for something else, then move COP to a permanent home worthy of it's historical significance.

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by Smee
If they want the space for something else, then move COP to a permanent home worthy of it's historical significance.

That's an interesting idea, but probably way more money than would ever be spent on the attraction. Does anyone have some figures about how much it cost to move COP from California and build the new building?

By the way, it's true what was said about cast members being in the dark. Most CMs didn't get an official statement that Horizons was closed for good until after the demolition equipment was on property.

ImaginationHost

I've heard from several Tomorrowland CM's that all the costumes are off the AA's and that the set is being taken apart. I have a feeling there is no hope for COP..

:fork: :mad:

Chernabog

For those of you who have yet to hear... Timekeeper is supposed to reopen on December 23rd. They haven't taken any of the signs down and there's no telling for how long it will stay open or whether or not it will re open as stated but it is scheduled to. Hope this brings a small ray of light and some Christmas cheer to everyone. Who knows, maybe CoP is next.:animwink:

bdig

I was at WDW the first week on November, and took the Keys to the Kingdom tour. The cast member said that COP was close for good and that they were possibly looking for something new to take its place. Possible a 3D attraction considering the other parks have one.

Chris

Just a note from the park maps. Other attractions that are down for rehab are still shown and commented on in the park maps (ie., Honey I shrunk the Audience). CoP is drawn on the MK map but there is no mention of it at all in the description or identifying marks on the map to describe it.

tmm7899

I am probably going to catch a lot of heat for this post, but I am going to post anway. I do agree with all of you that CoP is a great attraction and I go on it everytime I go to WDW. However Walt's true vision of his theme parks are that they are never complete and always changing, sometimes this means that they tear down older attractions and bring in new ones. Even in the current economy something could get built there, just look at some of the previous growth of the property it came when the economy was a mess.

NowInc

I still stand by my original thought that CoP is gone..

Looking at its location in proximity to Space Mountain and the long gone Skyway station....I say its a priime spot for some MAJOR upgrade to space mountain....

Originally posted by Tom Morrow
I was at Disney a month ago (and I miss it already), and Carousel of Progress was not even marked as an attraction on the park map, but they still announced it on the Tommorland Transit Authority. You know, "NOW APPROACHING WALT DISNEY'S CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS!" However, it did not announce Time Keeper, it just announced The Metropolis Science Center and stopped. I guess that means CoP will be open sometimes.

TTA does not announce CoP anymore (at least it didn't two days ago). The signs are still up and visible. Sorry, but I am sure that CoP is GONE. I seem to remember Pressler saying in a recent interview that they weren't going to just shut down rides without lots of warning. Well, I guess we know how far we can trust HIS word.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom