Carouselof Progress still seasonal?

Mansion Butler

I don't think the maps have said seasonal since about a year ago. And it's been running every day I've been there over the last 13 months.

Which is to say probably around 180 days or so.

DisneyMusician2

I think its open 24/7.....does anyone know if attendance at the carousel is up, or if the rumors of its pull-out are still running rampant?

Dagger

lol he must've meant 7/365

Hey, I hope it's open when we go! I know my DH will love it and I fear it won't be there forever.

sbkline

lol he must've meant 7/365

Hey, I hope it's open when we go! I know my DH will love it and I fear it won't be there forever.

I don't recall ever seeing this attraction on my visits. Just where exactly is it at?

If it's open full time now, I'm gonna have to add that to my list of "to do's", along with Country Bear Jamboree, in April.

jvenegas

My wife sent for the new vacation planning video and in the included map of MK there is no mention of CoP. Although the building does appear on the map, there is no reference to it as an attraction in Tomorrowland.
However, we were there from 12-19 to 12-29 and we rode CoP so I really can't say what's going on with the ride.:veryconfu

kcnole

It's still a running attraction. It's in tomorrowland right between Buzz and Space Mountain if my memory is working correctly. You'll find it easy because everytime the Peoplemove runs over it you hear a loud announcement which says, "Now passing Walt Disney's Carousell of Progress".

Ingrid

When we were there last summer, we watched the first part, and then the second, and then it got stuck and we had to watch the second part about 4 or 5 times before they got us out. When we did get outside, the CM told us that sometimes little rodents get caught in the tracks. It was pretty funny, but we were definitely ready to get out of there.

EchoOfOphelia

When we were there last summer, we watched the first part, and then the second, and then it got stuck and we had to watch the second part about 4 or 5 times before they got us out. When we did get outside, the CM told us that sometimes little rodents get caught in the tracks. It was pretty funny, but we were definitely ready to get out of there.

Ewww.... :hurl:

If the attraction is open regularly now, why aren't they including it on the park maps??

David S.

CoP is listed on the guidemaps available at the parks.

However, on the brochures/maps available at area hotels and state welcome centers, called "A guide to all things Disney" (or something like that), which has a map and attraction list for all four parks with corresponding numbers, Carousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree, and Snow White's Adventures are curiously not listed or numbered on the map page.

I've seen tourists at the MK using those maps rather than the in-park MK maps available at City Hall and giftshops throughout the park and thought it was a shame they might miss something because they might not know it even exists.

On a related note, Carousel of Progress and the Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends show at AK had not been listed in the "Official" Birnbaum Guide to WDW for years, but they are finally listed in the 2007 edition.

Conversely, Wonders Of Life has always been listed in the Birnbaum guide although Disney no longer lists it on the in-park Epcot guidemap.

RiversideBunny

They should always keep CoP open whenever the Magic Kingdom is open.

I think, though, that for future planning they should consider moving it to EPCOT. It might fit in better there and that would also leave a place in the MK where another ride or show could go.

:king:

wedance6

Original Poster
wELL i'M GLAD TO HEAR THAT it's open, because of course when we went 4 years ago it was just seasonal. I did read somewhere that they updated the end with all the latest technology. It will be fun to see it again.

beachclubbasics

I may be imagining this, but I had heard (I think ) that CoP will stay open as long as it functions because it was one of Walt's pet projects. I also heard that was the same reason behind why the theme was changed from Best Time of Your Life to It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (which is the original theme song from the World's Fair attraction>

Also, I hope that they don't revamp this show and lose some great vocal performances form some now deceased celebs. Mel Blanc (Bugs Bunny) is the Uncle in the bath tub, and I'd hate to lose Jean (A Christmas Story) Sheppard as the father.

MiceysBestPal

I did read somewhere that they updated the end with all the latest technology. It will be fun to see it again.

Nope.

Still the ending scene they've had since the last major update in 1994 (!)
(Yes, that's about 13 years ago.)

The final vignette still has Grandma donning 3D goggles, playing a video game, and getting 975 points!

Mansion Butler

I think its open 24/7.....does anyone know if attendance at the carousel is up, or if the rumors of its pull-out are still running rampant?

Usually I've seen it playing to 1/3 full theaters or so.

HOWEVER, over New Years there was about a three-show wait or so. As in, when the people in the front of the line are in the 20s, you're getting in. So not bad at all, I guess. It gives people something to do keeping them out of lines and off the pathways on busy days.

Mansion Butler

I don't recall ever seeing this attraction on my visits. Just where exactly is it at?

If it's open full time now, I'm gonna have to add that to my list of "to do's", along with Country Bear Jamboree, in April.

It's in the really big building that rotates in Tomorrowland, between the Tomorrowland Stage and Space Mountain, approximately. It's mostly by itself. Big, rotating building with colorful cogs on the walls and people standing in line, surprised it's possible to miss.

And when you're on the TTA and it says "now approaching, Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress," you're traveling above it.

Mansion Butler

CoP is listed on the guidemaps available at the parks.

However, on the brochures/maps available at area hotels and state welcome centers, called "A guide to all things Disney" (or something like that), which has a map and attraction list for all four parks with corresponding numbers, Carousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree, and Snow White's Adventures are curiously not listed or numbered on the map page.

Constant source of confusion for CMs. Guests will always ask us about map-based confusions, and it will be because they have an outside map. I've always wondered why everyone doesn't just pick up the completely free maps that you can find everywhere that are made by Disney and completely up to date. You get the best information possible absolutely free, and you can find them by standing still and looking around. What's the catch?

The best ever, though, was someone looking for something that wasn't there (can't remember what). They demanded that the map said it was there, and I kept saying that couldn't be. Finally, I looked at the map and asked them if it was an old map. They said yes, it was the one from their last visit a couple years ago.

. . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom