carousel of progress?

Expo_Seeker40

The ride was NOT canned from Disneyland. Actually it was to have a permanent home in Disneyland and that was through Walt's own words. :brick:

It was agreed upon with Disney mangmnt and General Electric that the ride would do BETTER at walt disney world. When the CoP opened in Disneyland in 1967 is was very similar to what it was in 1964 with a minor adjustment to the ending.

Since Progress City/EPCOT would never become a reality, and 80% of visitors at that time to Disneyland were Californians, and GE had a new slogan...both sides agreed to move the CoP for IT'S OWN GOOD.

CoP opened the same day as Space Mtn and helped finish off Tomorrowland.

The current version is a very lousy version IMO. the 64, 67, 75, and mid 80s versions were all superior to the 94 version.

The ride also sits in a boring building, with no major advertising, and with no sponsor. It has gotten small "face lifts" which is good. So far Disney said there is no immediate closure coming to the CoP, and I bet the ride will remain past 2006.

If you were to change the first three scenes, then you have destoryed what is the only thing left from the original walt disney version in 1964.

You also have the galaxy palace theater and skyway station and parkinglot behind the CoP that can all and mostly be used for a new ride, if a new ride were to come.

Personally I think the CoP would do much better as a concept for liberty square, but that never came about.

I'd much rather see the show scenes go to a museum than be scrapped since it is the only ride in all of WDW made by walt disney himself.

Epcot82Guy

I agree that COP deserves some preservation and recognition. I still stand by the move to Epcot, even if not in its full form. The problem is that COP took the look to the future when it was built. Now, however, it is out of place because it is the only remaining TL attraction that is looking to the "actual." COP could survive quite easily with a new perspective, though. If COP is meant to look to the future, the battle will always remain of misguessing the future. If, however, it became the anchor for a look to the past innovations that led to our future (i.e. today), I think that would fill in a large gap that is missing, especially in an area like FW. Horizons was the only attraction to hit it with its opening sequences about past visions of the future. Why not include past accomplishments that have created our current accomplishments? What better way to do that then a "frozen" COP that looks to the great things of the 20th century and spills out into an innoventions-like area of interactive exhibits about the greatest things (electricitiy, computing, etc.) or the future (current Innov.).

durhay

I was going to post that I wish CoP would go back to using "Now is the Time" instead of "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" because each scene is about about how great Now is instead of Tomorrow, but the jump from the next to last scene to the last is getting too big. It should stop in the 80s, but that's not really futuristic, is it? The family does live on in Horizons, but it's no more. It would have been neat to have a some sort of segueway in CoP that leads us to Horizons to see "the continuing adventures".

Someone also mentioned a "graveyard" park, which would be nice, especially if the monorail track was expanded to run to it :lookaroun

(ducks)

NoNoNoNoNo

durhay said:
I was going to post that I wish CoP would go back to using "Now is the Time" instead of "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" because each scene is about about how great Now is instead of Tomorrow, but the jump from the next to last scene to the last is getting too big. It should stop in the 80s, but that's not really futuristic, is it? The family does live on in Horizons, but it's no more. It would have been neat to have a some sort of segueway in CoP that leads us to Horizons to see "the continuing adventures".

Someone also mentioned a "graveyard" park, which would be nice, especially if the monorail track was expanded to run to it :lookaroun

(ducks)

we're getting closer to GREAT ideas

GothMickey

Ghostbuster626 said:
I wish the WDC would just end these back and forth converstations and just bulldoze it already. Its time to move on to bigger and better things.

Why bulldoze it?? Pack it up and open it in Epcot, where the Odyssy Restaurant is, was... or even expand the American pavilion and add it there... But I think the attraction now deserves a place in Future World

GothMickey said:
Why bulldoze it?? Pack it up and open it in Epcot, where the Odyssy Restaurant is, was... or even expand the American pavilion and add it there... But I think the attraction now deserves a place in Future World

Works for me. I just meant either gut the building (move the AA's somewhere else if you want) and put a new attraction in there or just bulldoze the building so they can use the land to build something new.

I just think its funny that Disney and the fans have been playing this game for years now. Orlando Sentinel writes an article that Disney is closing COP..then all the fans raise hell and are like "NO! NO PLEASE! NOT COPPPP!" then Disney keeps it open, then disney puts it in seasonal rotation, then back again,...etc. etc. back and forth we go. This has been going on for quite awhile now.

Tim G

Ghostbuster626 said:
Works for me. I just meant either gut the building (move the AA's somewhere else if you want) and put a new attraction in there or just bulldoze the building so they can use the land to build something new.

I just think its funny that Disney and the fans have been playing this game for years now. Orlando Sentinel writes an article that Disney is closing COP..then all the fans raise hell and are like "NO! NO PLEASE! NOT COPPPP!" then Disney keeps it open, then disney puts it in seasonal rotation, then back again,...etc. etc. back and forth we go. This has been going on for quite awhile now.
The trouble is you just CAN't buldoze it aside/away...
If you would buldoze it, it would mean breaking down another ride as well (TTA) which has a big part incorporated in the building...

But they will take it down, one way or the other...

zone15int

daguru said:
You may have to extend the length of each scene by a few minutes, but that would only make the ride better.

With five full scenes, the ride would be a little longer, but would overall hold more people.

Hey!
I think your idea sounds wonderful, but as a Carousel Of Progress CM it's hard enough to keep guests from causing the show to break down by exiting the theater when it's beginning to rotate. Thus, making us do a full evacuation because of thier ignorance and impatience due to the issue of one leaves so does everyone else.

RonAnnArbor

COP - great Walt attraction - can they close it? Sure. Will it be missed? Yeah. It's already been closed at DL. Still, it adds a nice touch to Tomorrowland, and until something better comes along, I like the Nostalgia...it's a ride we go on every single year, and have been for 40 years.

SOARIN' - honestly, I think it's the best ride anywhere, not just at a Disney Park, but any theme park - a brilliant magical ride that looks great, feels great, and makes you use your imagination. Sorry you didn't like it.

Mr.Pickles

Account Suspended
Mr.Pickles ponders that maybe the Wonder of Life pavillion at Epcot would be a perfect place for the ride graveyard.

The sad thing is it would most likely be open seasonally.:lol:

xstechbabe

COP is open and will be open at least up untill what ever takes up Timekeeper opens. It is a way to get guests out of the streets.

I don't really care for Soarin'... It all looks so new but the footage looks so old.

The CG tinkerbell over Disneyland...makes me sick....I only like the music...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom