carousel of progress?

isaidchowda

Original Poster
Howdy
Im a big fan of carousel of progress (my fav ride) and this along with that ice cream that they mix with orange juice in adventureland makes magic kingdom my fav park. anyways last couple times i went to magic kingdom it was closed and it doesnt really look like its ever going to open again. I hate that all my fav rides are going. Mr toad for pooh? 20 thousand leagues for some play place? hey, even dreamflight for buzz? eh. So is carousel officially closed? is it being refurbished?

ps... Am I the only one that things soarin is a massive waste of space and time? (I know this post is negative but I really am a disney fan)

peter11435

COP is open every day now. It has been for a while now.

I personaly enjoy Soarin very much so I don't share your opinion.

I agree about toad/pooh and dreamflight/buzz. I wish we could have all of them but I understand the business of it all. I mean Dreamflight never had a line so its replacement was needed. As for 20K its important to understand that PPS did not replace 20K. 20K closed and nothing replace it. For all practical purposes PPS only replaced a vacant area of land within the park.

isaidchowda said:
ps... Am I the only one that things soarin is a massive waste of space and time? (I know this post is negative but I really am a disney fan)

Are you sure your not mixing up Mission:Space with Soarin?

MissM

I think CoP was closed for maybe a handful of days last year if that. (And that was only for rehab days.) It's been on full-time, all year, always open schedule for quite some time now.

Soarin' is an amazing ride and experience and I find it amazing and unique and beautifully executed.
-m

isaidchowda

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your help. I guess I was just unlucky on those days that it was closed. I think the revolving Idea of carousel is genius, and am very happy it is still open.

As for soarin, I feel it lacks a disney touch. For some reason I was just put off by the whole ride. And no it was not mission space(too scared too go on it) but I hear incredible things about it.

MistyMinnie

isaidchowda said:
Howdy
that ice cream that they mix with orange juice in adventureland makes magic kingdom my fav park.

That is a citrus swirl at the Sunshine Terrace and it's yummy.

Soarin' is a very unique attraction and I love it.

Mr.Pickles

Account Suspended
Mr.Pickles thinks COP should close down because it is not a good attraction anymore. It is not made for everlasting magical enjoyment like Pirates or haunted mansion. It is really showing its age and the spot it occupies could be used for something more, magical.

Remember COP lovers, this is Mr.Pickles opinion.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Mr.Pickles said:
Mr.Pickles thinks COP should close down because it is not a good attraction anymore. It is not made for everlasting magical enjoyment like Pirates or haunted mansion. It is really showing its age and the spot it occupies could be used for something more, magical.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Flamewar in 3....2....1....Duck and Cover :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor COP needs some serious refurb, but defininately not a replacement... I was there on the 6th and saw the show and there was some deinate probelms that were very visible. First there was some kind a a metal tripod looking thing laying on the stage in the load scene. Second when you start to rotate out of the load scene into the next you could see right through the curtain that there was some kind of backstage door open and all the lights were on in the doorway. And third, in the first scene, poor Rover looked like he was drueling alot on the floor from his chin area and was running all down toward the front of the stage. It aooears it must have been some kind of a hydraulic leak, was very sad....I of course had to go tell a CM as soon as I got out of there, and it appeared it was closed shortly after that.

WishIwasThere

It was open both times I went last year...May and Dec. My 5 year old loved the COP...sat through the show three times in a row...still walks around singing 'It's a great big beautiful tomorrow...' every once in a while. The rest of the family loves this ride too...hope they never get rid of it.

As Gonzo once sang...
You can just visit, but I plan to stay.
I'm going to go back there some day.:)

yensidtlaw1969

Mr.Pickles said:

Actually, I found this to be a very good post. Why? It made me re-evaluate things. I haven't been wanting COP to close for a couple reasons. One, because I love it and think it is a very "Walt" attraction. It also shows optimism to the future, and being a futurist that interests me. It also takes me to the past to see how things were, and it's all done in a humerous way (not laugh out loud funny, but make you gigg;e and feel warm inside funny.

Two, becuase I have been afraid. Not so much that COP was going to close, but of what was going to replace it. Not too long ago people would tell you about how Disney has a pretty bad track record with replacing attractions (with exceptions ofcourse, but you know what I mean), and I was scared. Scared that we'd get something second rate, off the shelf or done before. Now with John Lasetter on hand, while I'm not saying he is our savior and that everything will be fine with his input, I am relaxed a bit. I have yet to see any of his new work with WDI, but he seems to have a strong hold on the necessities of a Great attraction. I personally don't care if the attraction that replaces COP is Pixar, Disney, original or from Regooglehop Movie Companies, as long as it's quality, and it seems that will be the case. If that is indeed the case, then I will see Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress leave us with a smile on my face and a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow on the Horizon.

Thank you. Welcome to the Boards Mr. Pickles.

Yensid " Man has a Dream, and that's the Start, He Follows his dream with Mind and Heart . . ." tlaw1969

broadwaychic

Every time my brother and I go to Disney, the COP is definitely one of our attractions to hit. I do agree that it needs some work to be more in line with today, but I think it is something Walt Disney himself wanted to show everyone. I don’t think his message should die.
Go easy on me…it’s my first post :p

Mr.Pickles said:

I concur with Mr.Pickles

Mr.Pickles

Account Suspended
warlord said:
Warlord thinks Mr.Pickles is annoying.

Remember Mr.Pickles lovers, this is Warlord's opinion

Mr.Pickles thinks thats ok. Remember I'm just a pickle,( kinda like Mr.Peanut ), and Mr.Pickle loves everybody!!!!

daguru

I think the concept of CoP is good, but the current ride does not live up to the concept, mainly because of age. They jump from the 40s to 2000 (or so), way to big.

I think they could do a massive rennovation, to change the time frames:

late 1800s
early 1900s
mid 1900s
late 1900s
early 2000s

Turn the first stage (the one with the curtain) into the first scene. Enter here and start the scene shortly after. Rotate through three scene's. Leave through the fifth scene. You may have to extend the length of each scene by a few minutes, but that would only make the ride better.

With five full scenes, the ride would be a little longer, but would overall hold more people.

But hey, that's just my opinion.....:hammer:

isaidchowda

Original Poster
Thanks for everyones replies
sorry if i hit a sensitive subject (with cop as well as soarin) Have been going to disney since I was born practically and this ride always had a special place in my heart. I always loved the concept, the story, the message, and who could forget the music. To me it is a part of disney world as much as dumbo the jungle cruise and spaceship earth. However I know everyones experiences are subjective. I probably wouldnt notice the carousel from fantasyland being replaced but I would fall over if the tommorowland speedway was suddenly disappeared.

that being said I can definetely see what some of you are saying about maintenance and age. A total rehall would be great, however I dont know if disney is commited to it but I hope so. I m not really sure what the lines are like anymore as it was closed the last couple times I went (parents should love this ride... 20 minutes in a dark cool air conditioned place to relax) so im not sure if it would even warrant it.

this reminds me of an idea me and my sister had... graveyard disney a theme park with all the old rides that were ever taken off of a disney property... for us nostalgic folk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom