Carousel of Progress

WEDwaydatamover

Well it's been nearly 20 years since the last update so if ever, now is the time ♪ ♫.

This show is an absolute favorite but I skip it nearly every time. It's a downer to see it so let go and outdated. This show was Walts baby.

I sometimes wonder if MK management keeps it open just to "finesse" park occupancy quotas?

jato4x4

Hopefully never! And if history prevails they would just update the last scene. Maybe they will give John a cooking lesson and he wont burn the turkey, and a nice flat panel TV.

Tigger1988

The final scene got an updated flat screen TV recently, so... a (small) step in the right direction I guess.

I don't get what's taking so long, update the clothes and tweak the script a bit.

jato4x4

That's good, last year it was still the 1st gen flat screen. I still call for cooking lessons it is very sexist that John cant cook, as I am a guy who can cook.

WEDwaydatamover

I think for the ending Imagineering should think a bit farther into the future than flat screens. I would like to see a vacationing grandma and grandpa in a giant life-sized 3-D hologram sipping Mai Tai's from a beach in Waikiki wishing the family a Merry Christmas.

Tomi-Rocket

I love the CoP but do think the ending scene has become a bit hokey. It could definitely use some actual futuristic updating. And refreshing the rest of the carousel couldn't hurt either. :rolleyes:

the-reason14

When I was there in August, I actually saw a line for it like an hour before or the first hour of extra magic hours. I couldn't believe it. TTA *ahem* peoplemover had a line too.

MissM

COP got an HD, LCD TV in November 2009. It used to show the brand name, "Samsung" but sometime between May and two weeks ago (I was on blackout for the summer so I don't have an exact date), they put black tape over the name. Ha!

"Laser discs" is fine with me because I think it's one of those things an older family member would say. You know how parents/grandparents never quite get the terms for modern electronics correct? To me, it could easily be one of those situations.

The horrible Beetlejuice dinning room table on the other hand... *shudder* No explaining that hideous thing!

lazyboy97o

The biggest problem with an update to the last scene is that it only furthers the time gap between Scene 3 and Scene 4. It used to be that the number of years passed was equal, now we just keep getting a bigger and bigger span that is not evenly represented.

Expo_Seeker40

how to fix the carousel of progress:

repaint the building and enhance it's facade to better tie in the with the 1994 tomorrowland architecture

have signs and video with a better preshow explaining what the attraction is, it's ties to walt disney, and that it was aquired by the tomorrowland metro retro historical society

have the load theater be both the load and unload theater....audiences are heading through the left doors while audience are filing through the right doors

get acts 1-3 as close as they were to 1964.....turn act 4 back to christmas ithe 1960s...have a new cast of voices to read off a script as close as possible to the original 1964 script

take what was formerly the unload theater and turn that into a bonus ending where the tomorrowland metro retro historical society goes beyond what walt disney predicted at the world's fair, and now shows us an up to date vision of the future

have the bonus ending updated every couple of years....a new cast may need to be hired, but the set in stone script for acts 1-4 will already be there, and all they need to do is read off a new script for the bonus ending

that way none of the remaining original acts from 1-3 are destroyed, the original walt disney version is presented as closely as possible, a future ending can always exist and doesn't effect the original part of the show.

HaggerDisney

repaint the building and enhance it's facade to better tie in the with the 1994 tomorrowland architecture

have signs and video with a better preshow explaining what the attraction is, it's ties to walt disney, and that it was aquired by the tomorrowland metro retro historical society

have the load theater be both the load and unload theater....audiences are heading through the left doors while audience are filing through the right doors

get acts 1-3 as close as they were to 1964.....turn act 4 back to christmas ithe 1960s...have a new cast of voices to read off a script as close as possible to the original 1964 script

take what was formerly the unload theater and turn that into a bonus ending where the tomorrowland metro retro historical society goes beyond what walt disney predicted at the world's fair, and now shows us an up to date vision of the future

have the bonus ending updated every couple of years....a new cast may need to be hired, but the set in stone script for acts 1-4 will already be there, and all they need to do is read off a new script for the bonus ending

that way none of the remaining original acts from 1-3 are destroyed, the original walt disney version is presented as closely as possible, a future ending can always exist and doesn't effect the original part of the show.

I have to say that I've always wanted this to be as close to the "original" version as possible. This is the first idea I've heard about updating COP that I can actually see working really well. They've been doing a lot of "throw backs" to the "old" Tomorrowland (PeopleMover). I think doing a retro update like this with a new future tie-in would work really well in their favor. Here's to dreaming for a better tomorrow(land)...

Area 4

The mother's laptop from 1997 bothers me so much...especially considering they went through the trouble to updating the TV.

WDW operations in a nutshell.

duff527

Love these ideas, though I'd like to the original narration maintained in at least the first 3 scenes, then try to match the voices as close possible for the new stuff. I'd overlook a slight difference to maintain the original voices because I feel they are such a big part of the ride. CoP is a family favorite so I'll keep going back no matter what, but the last scene def. needs some love.

musketeer

Why not just do the last scene in the same way the rest of tomorrowland is done. With the "future that never was"? I think it'd be pretty funny some of the stuff they could do. Why does it have to be an accurate version of the present or future. I LOVE how tomorrowland is the utopian future that never happened, why not extend that to the last scene?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom