Carousel of Progress

bsf436

Original Poster
Hi. I'm a new poster, but frequent reader of this board and I found a story that I'm not sure if it has been posted yet or not. According to Jim Hill Media there are rumors that the Carousel of Progress at Walt Disney World may close :( in the near future and be replaced by a bumper car ride based on the little green men from Toy Story. You can read the story here: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1270
Personally I love COP and I would hate to see another good attraction close just to be replaced by another movie tie-in.

General Grizz

2007/2008 is a LONG way ahead. Hopefully, by then, Carousel of Progress would have been given a much-needed rehab. If this rumor progresses any further, I know the D-troops will be launching a campaign to save the classic.

The idea makes no sense. Bumper Cars and Toy Story have *NOTHING* to do with Tomorrowland. Yet, Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin is right next door. I hate to say it, but if this idea takes flight, a LOT of the Disney magic can be pronounced dead.

Slipknot

What I don't get is why they would put BUMPER CARS in there? If there was a rumor about ridding the CoP housing of CoP, why not make it a rumor about a new AA ride? Disney would lose a helluva lot of my respect if it is true about these carny bumper cars!!!!!!

BTW, Grizz, your pins are in the mail as we speak, you should get them tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then Thursday.

General Grizz

Static-X said:
What I don't get is why they would put BUMPER CARS in there? If there was a rumor about ridding the CoP housing of CoP, why not make it a rumor about a new AA ride? Disney would lose a helluva lot of my respect if it is true about these carny bumper cars!!!!!!

BTW, Grizz, your pins are in the mail as we speak, you should get them tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then Thursday.
Thank you!! :D

Pioneer Hall

Here we go again with this...

These bumper car things are driving me crazy. I cannot stand listening to the stories about them. I do not see this happening ever, and I know that Jim Hill doesn't have a crystal ball to see these things. Until I see the sign up announcing their arrival, I don't buy it.

SpenceMan01

The day they gut Carousel of Progress and throw more Buzz Lightyear crap in there is the day vow never to step foot in a Disney park again. Thankfully I got to see it earlier this month while I was down there because we all know what Disney is capable of... *cough*MrToad*cough*.

General Grizz

DisneyInsider said:
Here we go again with this...

These bumper car things are driving me crazy. I cannot stand listening to the stories about them. I do not see this happening ever, and I know that Jim Hill doesn't have a crystal ball to see these things. Until I see the sign up announcing their arrival, I don't buy it.
Disney had been considering Flying Saucer attractions since the early 1990s. . . and I know for a fact that they were at some points considering using the Carousel of Progress as an area for it. Whether or not they are looking at this specific change, who knows, but it doesn't SURPRISE me that they may be. . . (nothing in their track record leads me to think otherwise).

akorny1

Be nice to see the Carousel updated. It's a bit behind the times. It's one of Walt's original creations, besides the parks, so it should never go the way of Stitch. Wait, that's not gone yet.....yet!!!

Pioneer Hall

General Grizz said:
Disney had been considering Flying Saucer attractions since the early 1990s. . . and I know for a fact that they were at some points considering using the Carousel of Progress as an area for it. Whether or not they are looking at this specific change, who knows, but it doesn't SURPRISE me that they may be. . . (nothing in their track record leads me to think otherwise).

I know that the idea has been around for a long time. I just don't see it happening. I also remember that the Timekeeper theater was more along the lines of what they were aiming for.

DCL

Bumper cars are something I would expect when I go to a Six Flags, or a Busch Gardens. I really don't think bumper cars would be a good addition to the parks... especially in tomorrowland, where you already have a Toy Story themed ride.

The CoP is one of my favorite attractions, and I would love to have it updated, but definately not replaced. If it comes down to replacing the Cop, one of Walt's attractions, I would expect that they would replace it with something to upgrade Tomorrowland significantly.

You already have the Speedway in Tomorrowland, as well as Buzz Lightyear. So you have cars and Toy Story in Tomorrowland already. There's no need for bumper cars :hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom