Carousel of Progress

TIGGER-FAN

I think it is a classic and needs to be left as is. THis ride has been around longer than WDW, and Walt had a big role in its construction and presentation at the 1964 Worlds Fair. Definite keeper!

Upvote 0

WDWHeadBanger

I whole heartedly agree that the ride should be left as is with the usual maintence of course. And while I am at it, how about in future replies give your favorite section of the ride. My favorite time period is the second with the 4th of July and all.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Keep the CoP just as it is...maintain as needed.
Can't choose a favorite scene. I remember seeing it as a kid at the NY World's Fair...have known that song by heart for years.
Its always been one of my favorites. :wave:

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Originally posted by tigsmom
Keep the CoP just as it is...maintain as needed.
Can't choose a favorite scene. I remember seeing it as a kid at the NY World's Fair...have known that song by heart for years.
Its always been one of my favorites. :wave:

PLEASE keep it... at least until I have a chance to see it! It's always closed when we visit. :(

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

They'd better not touch it!!! Except of course for regular maintenance and stuff like that. But it is truly a classic, and was one of Walt's favorites. And obviously it is still popular - just listen to the people on this board!

I love the scene from the 40s. I've always wnated a booth in my kitchen :lol: And I want their dog!! :p

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by MouseMadness
PLEASE keep it... at least until I have a chance to see it! It's always closed when we visit. :(

Hope its still open when you visit. It really is a "true" Disney experience.

Theres a great big, beautiful tomorrow....

Upvote 0

raven

The only thing I see need updating is the final scene. With technology on the move, that would be an ongoing thing I would think. All of the other scenes are fine. Maybe a new paint job but the attraction is great. I still think it would get more attention at Epcot. as a part of the Innoventions area.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by MouseMadness
see, I don't even know the song! :cry:

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day
And tomorrow's just a dream away

Man has a dream and that's the start
He follows his dream with mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true for you and me

So there's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day
Just a dream away

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Since Tomorrowland's theme is the future that never was, they should restore CoP's original ending from the 1964-'65 World's Fair. CoP rocks it out and I hope they never close it for good.

Upvote 0

bdalton

i hope COP is always in tom. land.i would like to see the final scene either updated every 5 years or so...or restored to the original final scene.

LONG LIVE COP:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Expo_Seeker40

The carousel of progress should stay. 2004 is it's 40th anniversary, and I wonder when rides/attractions can be made landmarks because that is possible.

When the carousel of progress had it's final scene or act it was of mother and father during christmas night 1960, or possibly 1964/1965, there was a nver a specific date. It is by far the most futuristic act ever made. It showed the family living in their general electric home under the medalion series of products within progress city of EPCOT. This was all added in as extras when it was moved to disneyland. Then when it came to disneyworld it was the 1970s scene, then 1980s, and now 1990s/2000.

I think to complete the carousel of progress there will need to be a bigger theater or pavilion. There would be a stage used for the opening and closing of the show, and then there would be 7 acts.

6 of those acts would remain permanent.

Act One: Fourth of July/ 1900

Act Two: Halloween/ 1920

Act Three:Thanksgiving/1940

Act Four: Christmas/ 1960

Act Five: New Years Eve/ 1980

Act Six: Valentines Day/ 2000

*Act Seven* No specific holiday or event. This will be the only act that will serve as a changing seen to the people of today. Showing them that there can be a great big beautiful tomorrow.

The original four acts can be replecated to what they looked like, and new and more detailed and better mocing animatronics can wear replicated clothing that was seen at the world's fair. Act Five can look like it did during the original 1980 scene, and Act Six can been in the den or office of the house shoqing the PC, Cell Phone, etc.

I am going to WDW in February. Will it be open at that time because of alien encounter being gone? I would love to see it.

Upvote 0

goonsquads57

Originally posted by raven
The only thing I see need updating is the final scene. With technology on the move, that would be an ongoing thing I would think. All of the other scenes are fine. Maybe a new paint job but the attraction is great. I still think it would get more attention at Epcot. as a part of the Innoventions area.

On the contrary, I would like to see the final scene rehabbed BACK to the original final "futuristic" scene. I saw the CoP at D-land in 1968. I can't remember that scene now, but I believe if it's going to be saved, it should be saved in it's original state. JMO

Upvote 0

Djali999

CoP is great until that final scene. some of the stuff in there is still futuristic (I still don't have a voice activated oven), some of the stuff is just becoming current (notice Mom has a flat screen computer monitor). but...

really, would it be too hard to update the home entertainment system to look more modern? as well as that VR game Granny plays. VR was a real 90's fad that never turned out to be very feasible anyway. not to mention that the game graphics were dated within a year.

also, can we please remove the mention of "laserdiscs"? I LOVE my laserdisc collection (anything big and needlessly cumbersome is fun), but now we have DVD and, if they want to take the technology up to at least 2006 - 7, High Definition DVD. it's an easy fix.

- scrims need to be replaced.
- father in the 1940's scene BADLY needs an upgrade - his lips don't really move.
- seats need to be replaced in the theatre
- that final, crappy 'pop' version of Big, Beautiful Tomorrow that plays as you circle back to the 'curtain' stage should be replaced with something more classical.

I think 85% of the show still works wonderfully. it has a real purity and vitality that's hard to deny.

although I didn't witness this, apparently one day Dad's hand detacted from his wrist and flew into the oven in the final scene. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

mickey merrills

Hold onto that "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow"

The ONLY disappointment from our trip in February 2003 was that the Carousel was closed. It's a sentimental favorite of mine (my grandmother's fave from the late 70's), but it's one of my 9-year-old's favorite rides too.

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

I remember the COP in Disneyland had an escalator in the final scene. The curtains opened, you went up the escalator, past the model of a futuristic city (EPCOT I think) and then exited the ride. That sould be added back.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom