Carousel of Progress theatre has been renewed!!

kjd469

Original Poster
Good news for all the COP fans out there (like myself) who are worried about an impending closure of COP. I just returned on Sept. 4, and when we went to MK on Aug. 30, when we went to sit down in the theatre of COP I noticed immediately that the seats were plush and the carpeting had been replaced. I commented to the CM about the new, comfy seating, and he told me COP was one of 2 theatres that has just been redone in the MK. Doesn't sound to me like they would redo all those seats and carpeting if they were planning to close it anytime soon!!!

P.S. - All animatronics were working beautifully!!

Expo_Seeker40

....they're just putting new seats in so it wont be a hassle when the incredibles family moves in. :hammer:

Thats good news to hear. By the way does anyone know if the the theaters are finally all painted white and grey. They were starting this when I went in january and it was mostly borders that were this new color and it gave the theater a great new look rather than the greenish aqua color.

LaughingGravy

I like the greenish aqua. I'd like orange,too. Gee, why are they not asking me, I wonder?

Since the rest of Tomorrowland is so colorful compared to the 70's version, it makes sense to put color into the carousel.
The World is a Carousel of Color....now, where have I heard that?:animwink:

MissM

I've been reading about a overhauled theater with new seats and such for months now, but no matter how many times I've ridden it (and it's a lot), I've only ever seen the old, beat-up seats that have been there forever.

:veryconfu
-m

metscool

That is good to hear. They must be working on one and closing that theater while they work on it and then when they are done with that one they move on to the next and so on.

raven

Maybe.
Even if The Incredibles move in, they won't necessarily take over the CoP spot. I have heard/seen both ways.

Yeah, they are changing the name of Tomorrowland to Pixarland...because we all know Monster Inc. & The Incredibles are "futuristic". :lookaroun

I still think they need to be at MGM rather than Tomorrowland.

Disneyfanman

Why? The Magic Kingdom has always featured attractions themed to Disney characters and films too. There are always exceptions (Space Mountain, Pirates, etc) but it's always been the world of fantasy to me. Most of the successful characters of the last 10 years have been Pixar related. Buzz fits perfectly. We don't know about Monsters yet because we haven't seen it (although it seems like a stretch), but if attractions related to characters were only at the studios it would leave us with a very dull park indeed.

A greater question to me is why people are starting to push back on the Pixar characters in Disney attractions? I read all the time about the "Pixarization" of the theme parks. They are some of the most successful movies of all time, and Disney owns the characters. Why shouldn't they be in the parks?

By the way, back to the original topic. Last Thanksgiving I sat in a brand new remodeled theater for the COP. So it's been going on since at least then. It looked really nice except that the sound wasn't balanced and we couldn't make out have of what the family was saying on stage. Luckily we all had seen the show enough to not care. We sang along anyway.

Long live COP. My 17 year old Daughter's FAVORITE attraction at WDW. Hopefully it will be spinning for us this October.

MeTa

Just a questions about the two similar theaters in DL and WDW. Disneyland has innoventions that used to be CoP, and the theater is 2 floors. I have never noticed if the theater in WDW is the same 2 floors? Is it?

MissM

Just a questions about the two similar theaters in DL and WDW. Disneyland has innoventions that used to be CoP, and the theater is 2 floors. I have never noticed if the theater in WDW is the same 2 floors? Is it?
WDW's CoP theater is only one floor. The EPCOT city model which used to be upstairs during the World's Fair and at DL, is currently seen (in part) while on the TTA.
-m

PintoColvig

Not having seen the DL location, I don't know if the two locations are the same height. Nevertheless, the TTA does circle part of the CoP building at the second story level.

You can see a pic from AllEars.net here...http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/mk/mk_cop.htm

goofyfan13

Why? The Magic Kingdom has always featured attractions themed to Disney characters and films too.

Yes, but that was only in Fantasyland and Toontown. Hence why people are calling it Fantasyland East. Think about MK before they changed Delta Dreamflight, AE, and TK.

JimboJones123

Why? The Magic Kingdom has always featured attractions themed to Disney characters and films too. There are always exceptions (Space Mountain, Pirates, etc) but it's always been the world of fantasy to me. Most of the successful characters of the last 10 years have been Pixar related. Buzz fits perfectly. We don't know about Monsters yet because we haven't seen it (although it seems like a stretch), but if attractions related to characters were only at the studios it would leave us with a very dull park indeed.

A greater question to me is why people are starting to push back on the Pixar characters in Disney attractions? I read all the time about the "Pixarization" of the theme parks. They are some of the most successful movies of all time, and Disney owns the characters. Why shouldn't they be in the parks?

By the way, back to the original topic. Last Thanksgiving I sat in a brand new remodeled theater for the COP. So it's been going on since at least then. It looked really nice except that the sound wasn't balanced and we couldn't make out have of what the family was saying on stage. Luckily we all had seen the show enough to not care. We sang along anyway.

Long live COP. My 17 year old Daughter's FAVORITE attraction at WDW. Hopefully it will be spinning for us this October.

I would sure love a Rescuers attraction long before Incredibles.

daguru

I noticed the new sets several weeks ago, they also replaced the divider walls. The new walls appear to be "standard" walls, like you would see in an apartment or mobile home...

Loretta

I've been reading about a overhauled theater with new seats and such for months now, but no matter how many times I've ridden it (and it's a lot), I've only ever seen the old, beat-up seats that have been there forever.

:veryconfu
-m

Us too. In fact the last time we were on it (10/05) my seat was crooked. Didn't spoil the show for me though.

PintoColvig

I would sure love a Rescuers attraction long before Incredibles.
I know this is a tongue-in-cheek comment but a few years ago you might have said, "I would sure love a Song of the South attraction (Splash Mtn.) long before a Star Wars attraction (Star Tours)". I'm one of those who love the inclusion of Pixar characters but I worry about overkill. I know that Pixar characters are popular but why not look to some non-"franchise" movies and characters for inspiration? There are some in the Disney repertoire that would translate into great attractions. Instead of having three Nemo attractions (Crush, Musical, Sea Cabs) and two Toy Story attractions (Buzz Lightyear, Midway Mania) why not find a way to incorporate a broader selection of characters/movies at WDW? Maybe not Rescuers in TL but why not Treasure Planet or Tron? These movies weren't super popular but the premises would provide awesome ride concepts. And people would still ride them even if they knew little about the movies. Just my opinion (and I wil still experience the Laughing Floor and the Incredibles Robocoaster!)

**wonders why I'm getting into a pro vs. con Pixar fight** :hammer:

raven

I'm not saying that the Magic Kingdom is turning into Pixarland. Read my post again. I said those attractions don't really belong in Tomorrowland, the world of the future. Monsters Inc isn't futuristic...it's set in the current time, just another demension. Incredibles isn't either. For that matter, neither is Stitch. The movie was set in current time. He only came from another planet.

All I am saying is that Tomorrowland isn't very futuristic anymore. The Tomorrowland Speedway is still gas powered vehicles. That whole section of the park could stand for a little more Imagineering if they want to keep with the theme. Otherwise they might as well turn it into Disney/Pixar-land which it is quickly becoming already. I still think that MGM would be a better place because there are attractions based on Disney films anyway. Just fits better to the theme.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I'm not saying that the Magic Kingdom is turning into Pixarland. Read my post again. I said those attractions don't really belong in Tomorrowland, the world of the future. Monsters Inc isn't futuristic...it's set in the current time, just another demension. Incredibles isn't either. For that matter, neither is Stitch. The movie was set in current time. He only came from another planet.

All I am saying is that Tomorrowland isn't very futuristic anymore. The Tomorrowland Speedway is still gas powered vehicles. That whole section of the park could stand for a little more Imagineering if they want to keep with the theme. Otherwise they might as well turn it into Disney/Pixar-land which it is quickly becoming already. I still think that MGM would be a better place because there are attractions based on Disney films anyway. Just fits better to the theme.
the problem here is that technology changes so fast, it is hard to come up with something in 2006 that can stick around for 10 years that is still going to be cutting edge by 2016. i agree with some of your points too.

i have said before and some agree, that i think the CoP should be moved to a more appropriate venue (DTD, the boardwalk, MGM) rather then in tomorrowland since the space could be better used for a bigger E ticket.

dont kill the CoP, just move and update the system and show slightly. maybe new AA's.

:D

jedimaster1227

Yeah, they are changing the name of Tomorrowland to Pixarland...because we all know Monster Inc. & The Incredibles are "futuristic". :lookaroun

I still think they need to be at MGM rather than Tomorrowland.

What about Stitch? :lookaroun (I think Tomorrowland should acquire the land that is Mickey's Toontown Fair and expand so then we can really have one giant TOONMORROWLAND! In fact, while they are at it, why don't they turn Space Mountain into Stitch Mountain! :lol:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom