Carousel of Progress is....CLOSED??!!!!

ajmanns

Original Poster
Please tell me I heard wrong! Is the Carousel of Progress closed iindefinitely??? THis is NOT good! I love that attraction, and my kids (ages 12 and 15) can't wait to see it again. We are going to WDW in November this year. If it is true, someone better please confirm that, because we are going to have to prepare ourselves in advance for some major disappointment! :cry:

tenchu

Originally posted by spider-man
In the Immortal words of Scar:

BE PREPARED!

:(

Ah, but didn't he die at the end of the film?

CoP is currently opening seasonally, but who knows what will happen?

:wave:

General Grizz

Yes, it opens during the peak times. If you're going the week of Thanksgiving, chances are that you WILL be able to see the Carousel of Progress.

Otherwise, when the park is not as crowded, it's shut down for most of the year.

If it is indeed closed during your visit, be sure to talk to Guest Relations. They will hear your complaint, and it really helps in saving this attraction.

For more information on CoP facts, discussion, and also the times of year it is open, go to the SECRETS section (under Walt Disney World) and go to the CoP Secrets thread. :)

Thanks so much for your concern!

Sir Hiss527

Cop is only opened during holidays, etc. Sorry if it's not opened during the time you g. Look at the bright side your at DISNEY!

General Grizz

Umm...it's only open during the popular seasons. If it's open for several Saturdays in a row, it would most likely be open that week (and would most likely be summer - the only time it was given an extended operation time).

LivefortheMouse

:confused: They cant close this ride indefenetly my children(the ones i will someday have:) ) need to see this wonderful ride. Closing cop would be like closing Its a small world(god frobid that ever happens). Im going in August but im going to be there on a sunday i hope its open. Im also going in december atleast i hope its open then. I will go place my concern at Guest Relations.:cry:

imagineersrock

i simply don't understand the logic behind this though?? why dont they 1.) leave it open all day everyday, or 2.) close it for good and replace it?? i just don't understand why they would just let an attraction sit they're that is fully operational. just open it for good or close it for good- i see no point in opening an attraction for just a few days per year???:brick:

General Grizz

Originally posted by imagineersrock
1.) leave it open all day everyday

It costs a TON of money to operate. The motors are getting old, and its pretty pricey to maintain it.

Originally posted by imagineersrock
2.) close it for good and replace it??

Because it's Walt's signature attraction and one of the definete Disney attractions.

ajmanns

Original Poster
Well, if I am really really LUCKY we will be able to see it. We are going to be there over Thanksgiving, so there may be a chance i will be open! HOORAH!!

And, if its because of the motors getting really old, why can't they put in new motors, for goodness sakes! Good grief, they have spent millions on the new attractions; they need to spend a little money to upgrade a CLASSIC Disney attraction! COP has more character to it than any of the new "thrill" rides that they are putting into the parks.

Just had to get in my 2 cents worth! LOL :animwink:

General Grizz

They are constantly evaluating attractions and what they will invest in. And, I agree, just because its running old doesn't mean there can't be a new way to operate a CoP style attraction. :)

Good luck!! :D The news of an opening may make it to WDWMagic. If not, don't dispair. Just go to the park for yourself and it may just be running!

WDWspider

Originally posted by ajmanns
Well, if I am really really LUCKY we will be able to see it. We are going to be there over Thanksgiving, so there may be a chance i will be open! HOORAH!!

And, if its because of the motors getting really old, why can't they put in new motors, for goodness sakes! Good grief, they have spent millions on the new attractions; they need to spend a little money to upgrade a CLASSIC Disney attraction! COP has more character to it than any of the new "thrill" rides that they are putting into the parks.

Just had to get in my 2 cents worth! LOL :animwink:

I totally agree with this logic. They need to take a big lump some and reinvent/rework their classic attractions.

Add more dolls and new cheap effects to IASW.

Re-engineer CoP and update again.

Add more to the Hall of Presidents and give more of them leg movement beyond the sway.

Create a new Jamboree with the classic style but the latest behind the scenes technology.

See what they are doing with the Space Mountain at Disneyland, it will be the same track layout, just so much more. that's what I mean. The Tiki show attempt at WDW was a good effort, but fell short (they deleted the songs everyone liked).

imagineersrock

Originally posted by spider-man
I totally agree with this logic. They need to take a big lump some and reinvent/rework their classic attractions.

Add more dolls and new cheap effects to IASW.

Re-engineer CoP and update again.

Add more to the Hall of Presidents and give more of them leg movement beyond the sway.

Create a new Jamboree with the classic style but the latest behind the scenes technology.

See what they are doing with the Space Mountain at Disneyland, it will be the same track layout, just so much more. that's what I mean. The Tiki show attempt at WDW was a good effort, but fell short (they deleted the songs everyone liked).

couldn't agree more; if COP is one of walt's 'signiture attractions' the it should by all means deserve to be open all day every day.

magicjay1989

cop 2

I know its a little off subject but did you know Horizons was cop 2? It is the same family and every thing, but like all disney siquells it was not made to last.

General Grizz

Horizons is often called Carousel of Progress' sequel. It takes the same ideas of going back in time to the future (involving visions). The family looks pretty much the same (just different names, etc.)

In the 60s, the CoP went from the past to the "modern day," so the post-show was really a lot more about the future (fission and fusion, skydome, etc). So I suppose Horizons took the place of this post-show and gave a sense of future to CoP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom