Carousel of Progress/Enchanted Tiki Room

Chrononymous

I agree with plussing both shows...

COP needs some new tech in it's final scene...but I always worry that technology that seems so now, might still be obsolete in 5 years.

And zazu and Iago need to be removed from the Tiki room, as they seem to add nothing to the idea of "enchantment". Give the Birdies back their dignity.

Thrill

But Carousel of Progress is fine. LaserDiscs and car phones are still modern technologies. ;)

Sarcasm aside, CoP's final scene could use a script change to fit current technologies, and the Tiki Room needs to be changed back to the original.

Enchantâmes

Also they really need to refurb the CoP show building exterior even if nothing else is done. The garish 1990's gear theme is so... ugh...
The Exterior was built in the mid-70's (1975) and other than the outer wall, TVs, and attraction sign nothing has changed what so ever. So I don't know where you are getting this "90's" theme.

stlbobby

I really love the Tiki Room the way it is. I actually like Gilbert Gottfried and I think the story and theme are great. I also think if they reverted to the original there would be a huge outcry from those that despise cloned attractions. I'm not opposed to clones as a rule, but I do like that there are two versions of this show.

The current version also features the voice talents of two great actors that are no longer with us Phil Hartman, as was mentioned, in the pre-show and Jerry Orbach as the French bird (Pierre?). I think that's enough reason to keep it as it is.

Enchantâmes

I really love the Tiki Room the way it is. I actually like Gilbert Gottfried and I think the story and theme are great. I also think if they reverted to the original there would be a huge outcry from those that despise cloned attractions. I'm not opposed to clones as a rule, but I do like that there are two versions of this show.

The current version also features the voice talents of two great actors that are no longer with us Phil Hartman, as was mentioned, in the pre-show and Jerry Orbach as the French bird (Pierre?). I think that's enough reason to keep it as it is.
Um, how so? The same could be said for the Haunted Mansion, PoTC, and a majority of the rides at the Magic Kingdom (Plus it opened with the original show). Your reasons are rather weak.

FigmentJedi

The "modern" ending is thematically weak compared to the original Progress City ending. It would be cool if Disney could restore the 1964 version of the show (Disneyland without the upstairs finale) but those props are probably long gone.

Someone forgot about the Progress City model being part of the Peoplemover

gerryu21220

The "modern" ending is thematically weak compared to the original Progress City ending. It would be cool if Disney could restore the 1964 version of the show (Disneyland without the upstairs finale) but those props are probably long gone.

Someone forgot about the Progress City model being part of the Peoplemover

The original 1964 ending was the "all-electric Medallion home" the [then] present-day segment of the show. This is what I believe "those props are probably long gone" was referring to. Never fear, that original last scene could very easily be re-created with vintage props found in thrift stores and antique shops, and what can't be found could be replicated. Unfortunately, that will probably never happen.

Progress City was added when the show was installed in Disneyland in 1967 on the second floor above CoP, and not part of the original World's Fair version of the show. They simply found a use for the gigantic model built for the film of Walt discussing his original plans for EPCOT, and had the original actors from CoP record new spiels to go with it. Sadly, Progress City was dropped when the show made the move to WDW in 1975. A portion of the original model is still on display in the first tunnel of the WDW PeopleMover (now Tomorrowland Transit Authority). As to the whereabouts of the rest of the EPCOT/Progress City model... :shrug:

Personally, I think the original 1964/1967 version of the show (with the Progress City addition installed) would be much better received and still be relevant to today's audience, as much of Progress City (representing the future) still has not come to pass. We already live in the present-day, so there's no real need to even have a present-day segment.

CaptainJackNO

I think the ONLY scene needed for refurb on Carousel of Progress is the final scene. And, I agree that the scene could be basically left alone except for maybe the addition of a 3D television, updated video game, inclusion of droid and smart phones, etc. Just modernize it, really. The rest of the scenes are classic and should be left alone. I love the CoP, no matter how old it is.

Tiki is a challenge, in my opinion, because I am not sure the technology for that attraction is capable of being updated to the point where it could be a serious draw, again. Now, with Imagineers, anything is possible. I like the attraction, mainly the thunderstorm parts. I love how they make it seem like it's raining outside. I like Tiki, just not sure how they could make it a strong draw again. I wish they could because Adventureland sure could use a crowd thinner to help Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean. Ain't it funny how PotC barely had a wait until the movies and the addition of Sparrow, Barbossa, and Davey Jones, and now waits can approach one hour, sometimes?:lol:

mp2bill

I think Carousel just needs some small plussing to the final scene. Some new clothes, drop the line about "car phones," and replace some of the props. The new HD TV looks nice in there too. Otherwise, i think it's a completely solid attraction.

Tiki Room on the other hand......my goodness. Surely they can come up with a better modern show! I don't think they should revert it to the original, but I'm willing to bet something is in the mix for it sooner or later.

I was thinking the same thing.

ryno1982

The Exterior was built in the mid-70's (1975) and other than the outer wall, TVs, and attraction sign nothing has changed what so ever. So I don't know where you are getting this "90's" theme.

He's referring to the cog paint job on the outer wall. I'd assume the use of pastel colors is what he equates to the 90s theme.

djdan

PATRICIA: Oh no. You're not going to tell us about the old days when you didn't even have a car phone.
GRANDPA: (He chuckles.) Hey Trisch, for a while we didn't even have a house phone. Not to mention laser discs and high def TV. Everything is automated these days, including...
PATRICIA: Who knows? We've got a whole new century waiting for us out there.

C'mon guys, I LOVE when they say this. It's hilarious!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom