Carousel of Progress closing?!?!?!

daniam2188

Original Poster
hey,
i don't know if this is true or not but i read a rumor somewhere that COP is going to close :cry: can some1 please tell me if this is true or not
thanx

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
hmm..

not this summer. This is something that we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully it will turn out for the better.

btw- just a friendly reminder, max signature length is 5 lines..

General Grizz

Wow...you look like a progress fan! But, you might want to change your signature...it's a little too long in length. :p

As for Progress, it closed on October 22, 2001 (I think). We didn't know what was going to happen. For the next month and a half, I wrote and called Disney frequently...even a post I made on WDWMagic on that date was quoted in the Orlando Sentinel a little over a week later...I got a kick out of it!

In December, much to our pleasure, Walt Disney's CoP reopened for a bit over two weeks. Then, it closed, and reopened for President's Day Weekend. Then Easter...Grad Nite...and for nearly the entire Summer. Furthermore, it opened in Thanksgiving, and has done all of the above over again in 2003 thus far...and is currently open.

This is called "seasonal runs." They run the Carousel of Progress only when the park is extremely crowded (hence, the holidays). :)

There's a rumor that it may close after this year's Christmas run. If that is the case, guests will be EXTREMELY upset, and Disney may make one of its biggest mistakes yet.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I rode it today just for you, grizz :).

When I first got to Tomorrowland, there was a pretty big crowd waiting for it so I took a spin on the TTA and let it thin out a bit. I ended up doing it around 2:30. There were about 75-80 people in the theatre (plenty of seats empty).

The show seems to be in good shape, except for a few things:

-some of the set lighting flickered slightly in the "turn of the century" scene (really just a nitpick)

-the porch light was out in the '20s (slightly bigger problem since the light is referenced in the dialogue)

-the TV didn't come on in the '40s (biggest problem)

-you can see some of the inside of Rover's head in the final scene, but you have to look for it

Everything else looked and sounded pretty good.

General Grizz

Originally posted by MrNonacho
I rode it today just for you, grizz :).

When I first got to Tomorrowland, there was a pretty big crowd waiting for it so I took a spin on the TTA and let it thin out a bit. I ended up doing it around 2:30. There were about 75-80 people in the theatre (plenty of seats empty).

The show seems to be in good shape, except for a few things:

-some of the set lighting flickered slightly in the "turn of the century" scene (really just a nitpick)

-the porch light was out in the '20s (slightly bigger problem since the light is referenced in the dialogue)

-the TV didn't come on in the '40s (biggest problem)

-you can see some of the inside of Rover's head in the final scene, but you have to look for it

Everything else looked and sounded pretty good.

Ouch. Chances are, these were probably missed in the test run...and they will probably be fixed very soon. The only big one is the 40s TV...but it looks like they decided not to give a refurbishment during its break like the other times...

Thanks for the info! I'm glad there are still crowds. :) They should really look into advertising and letting guests know what it is...but they just don't want to.

Tomko

COP CLOSED AGAIN

Official

The COP is now closed until mid Oct I am told.

It will reopen then through the Holidays.......YEH

The attendance this summer has definitely increased.

So have the operating hours of 10 AM to 8PM when it was open the past few weeks.

I hope this is a sign to be continued.

Thanks to all for the posting and petition signing on my site www.carouselofprogress.com

Apparently this helps...at least I have some wishful thinking!!!

:sohappy:

General Grizz

Carousel opened from June 22 (?) to August 16th (closed on the 17th). I got a VERY good report in - everything was in pretty much perfect condition with high crowds on the 16th.

Chances are, next opening will be Thanksgiving weekend - and then closed until the week (or week before) Christmas, continuing through to New Years.

Thank you SO MUCH, Disney. This is simply WONDERFUL!!

:sohappy: :D

NemoRocks78

Seized
CoP.....one of my favorites.

But it wont be open when i'm there Sept. 5th! :fork:

I heard somewhere that there's rumors to close this and change it to a better version of The Flying Saucers from DL....I hope its not true!

General Grizz

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
I heard somewhere that there's rumors to close this and change it to a better version of The Flying Saucers from DL....I hope its not true!

These were actually the plans for the Original "New Tomorrowland!" :eek:

But, instead, they did the right thing. In fact, the New Tomorrowland (before seasonal...) is probably the best overall change I've seen out of Disney! So much dedication to education, value, quality, and different "types" of attractions.

Tomko

Alien Encounters

Is it true that Alien will be closed for refurbishing Oct thru Dec?

Maybe the reason for the COP to be open longer!!

Great!!

Tomko

A HUNCH

Employee rumors seem to have some merit.

I do not know if this is a true fact or an actual future plan.

I do give merit to people I talk to, however.

I and they might be in left field, but if it's true, it's all for the better to see the COP more often!

General Grizz

I REALLY don't think this is going to happen. I WISH I could believe it... but perhaps "WISHES" may come true...in time for October... :lookaroun :lol:

However, there's hope!

:D

Scooter

I don't like this seasonal thing with C.O.P.:mad:

I wish they would either keep it open all year round or close it and build another attraction in it's place.

I only go to WDW in the off season... usually in May or October.

I pay just as much for my Park entrance as people during "Peak" times and should be able to ride the same rides. I understand when rides are closed during the slow periods for reburbishment but not when they are closed just because there aren't as many people in the park.

That's like a restaurant cutting it's menu in half during Lent because some people don't eat meat on Fridays.

No one Loves Carrousel of Progress more than my wife and I. We used to ride it twice on every visit...but Disney needs to decide to either open it or close it..one or the other.

I already wrote Disney a letter about my dissapointment about quite a few things, COP was one of them!!! They called my house and said they would be calling soon to talk about the letter. let's hope they do so soon!

A Kind Of Magic

CoP's Last Stand?

Don't destroy "Carousel Of Progress" like they did "Horizons".

Why doesn't Disney put "Carousel Of Progress" back in Queens Flushing Meadows Park New York City?

It could be a walk through museum or placed in a storage facility because of all the space available.

Queens Flushing Meadows Park New York City is already a living museum with tons of information about the New York City Worlds Fair where "Carousel Of Progress"
first started as "Progress Land".

JaynMACP96_97_9

It doesn't get anymore "Walt-esque" than the Carousel of Progress. But these seasonal stints are a bad sign. I think its fair to speculate that management would rather replace it with something else, given these seasonal stints. But they also recognize the nostalgia of fans who would see its closing as more than just any attraction being replaced.

I think we have a better chance of seeing the Williams' sisters playing in this year's Open, than we do seeing it moved up near the Unisphere in FMP. Although its the most logical idea if they were to close it down all together.

I honestly haven't been on it in a long time and i wouldn't want to see it go more for what it represents than any enjoyment i've gotten out of it in all my times down there.

roysta123

I was talking to a Tomorrowland Cast Member that was in the college program. I met him waiting in line for test track and he seemed to know a lot. He said that when Alien Encounter closes to become Stitch, COP and probably Time Keeper will open in its place.

Ok, i have a dumb question. Grizz, MKT either of you may be able to answer this one. Is there an upstairs to CoP? Me and my girlfriend is having a debate..:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom