News Carousel of Progress Closed

owlsandcoffee

In my opinion the best possible Carousel of Progress is the original one. The 60s scene still looks fashionable now, the animatronics looked good, and it's the most consistent. I feel that the World's Fair version with a LOT of TLC would be best, followed by an exit with a regularly updated exhibit of the newest and most exciting technological advancements.

Touchdown

Iā€™ve said this before, change it to cover the 20th century and the incredible changes that occurred in the American home. Ideally I would add a scene to the show so that we could keep 1900, 1920, 1940 and then add a (July 20) 1969 and (Dec 31) 1999. However, thatā€™s not going to happen so I would drop the 1920 scene, keep the 1900 and 1940 scene, add a scene of the family gathering to watch the moon landing, and then have one on New Years Eve 1999 (but still have the set decorated for Christmas, as Americans keep up their decorations through New Years.) I think those two events would cover important changes not only in the appliances (60s were a major move forward with the microwave and 60s chique, 1999 the computer obviously) but also for social changes.

PizzaPlanet

If we start in the 50s or after we lose two original scenes that date back to Walt Disney and the fair (Acts 1 and 2).
If done correctly, the general story and format of the original scenes could stay as they are, just with different technology being showcased in each era and an updated script.

I think a change like this could be the best of both worlds by keeping the nostalgia of the classic show, and also presenting progress in a way that today's audiences can better relate to, similar to how the original audiences experienced the show in 1964.

Expo_Seeker40

True but itā€™s not 1971 anymore. So, if you want to keep the original scenes, then the original father and mother have to go in the last scene as they would be long dead. Their children would be the grandparents in the last scene.
Theyā€™re not meant to realistically age. Not even in
the original version. The children get slightly older in each scene. Thatā€™s it.

Each act has always been what that family could have been like/doing in a respective era.

tirian

In my opinion the best possible Carousel of Progress is the original one. The 60s scene still looks fashionable now, the animatronics looked good, and it's the most consistent. I feel that the World's Fair version with a LOT of TLC would be best, followed by an exit with a regularly updated exhibit of the newest and most exciting technological advancements.
That would be a good idea. In its current condition, itā€™s not funny and laughably outdated. But the original script was snappier, and a return to the 1960s ending would give it a much-needed retro/classic vibe.

Beacon Joe

If done correctly, the general story and format of the original scenes could stay as they are, just with different technology being showcased in each era and an updated script.

I think a change like this could be the best of both worlds by keeping the nostalgia of the classic show, and also presenting progress in a way that today's audiences can better relate to, similar to how the original audiences experienced the show in 1964.

Hmmmmm.... rebuilt to be something like Horizons Part II? :cool:

JIMINYCR

No worries. Walt is working with Dad to upgrade his lines and tweak the performance so its more attractive to those of you who say its an outdated show. In no time at all the seats will be filled to a packed show.

29cf683981a18df8dd3fe76b358183d5--memories-walt-disney.jpg

spock8113

As someone who saw the GE Carousel Of Progress at the 1964 World's Fair, I can say while nostalgic and one of Disney's greatest technological rides, it needs an overhaul to some degree. I'd say they simply brought the 1964 seats to the existing ride.
The storyline is basically the same just the end scene has changed. For those who don't know, Jean Shepherd, who is the main male character's voice is also the narrator for "A Christmas Story", Ralphy!

While the original ride went to California, I believe the Florida is a duplicate. The original one in California has long since closed but "it's a small world" in California is the one from the '64 World's Fair.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
As someone who saw the GE Carousel Of Progress at the 1964 World's Fair, I can say while nostalgic and one of Disney's greatest technological rides, it needs an overhaul to some degree. I'd say they simply brought the 1964 seats to the existing ride.
The storyline is basically the same just the end scene has changed. For those who don't know, Jean Shepherd, who is the main male character's voice is also the narrator for "A Christmas Story", Ralphy!

While the original ride went to California, I believe the Florida is a duplicate. The original one in California has long since closed but "it's a small world" in California is the one from the '64 World's Fair.

Watching the video: I don't remember their being animatronic giraffes on Jungle Cruise?! Was that actual ride footage? Strictly Anaheim? Interesting. Have I overlooked them this entire time?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Watching the video: I don't remember their being animatronic giraffes on Jungle Cruise?! Was that actual ride footage? Strictly Anaheim? Interesting. Have I overlooked them this entire time?
Little known tidbit: the Jungle Cruise giraffes were "borrowed" by Steven Spielburg and George Lucas to make Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom