Carousel of Progress appreciation thread

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I love it but mainly because I remember seeing it at the 1964 Worlds Fair. My DW rolls her eyes when I tell her we MUST go on this ride.
Yes, I still love it, the first time I saw it was at the New York World's Fair circa 1964. CoP, the GM pavilion and Mr. Lincoln along with a Belgian waffle were “must dos.”

There aren't a lot of you folks around anymore that would remember actually being there 55 years ago. That must have been incredible to see, especially in retrospect at a time when World's Fairs were a much bigger deal. I know my father made a trip down to Queens then too and saw it.

donaldtoo

I’d just like to throw this in...
I actually wish they’d take the final scene and retro it back to Walt’s time.
The chronology would make more sense, and it would truly be more “Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress”...!!!!! :)

Phil12

My brother in law said the same thing when he went in 2004. He said there was someone outside the ride asking for his signature to save it. I am glad it has stayed, what a shame that would have been, so much history and moments frozen in time. It makes me wonder, why even ask the public in the first place? Snow White and Mr. Toad never got that luxury, they just got rid of them without asking any fans at all. I am glad they did ask the public though, but why even consider it in the first place? It is vintage Disney. How much of that is left?
But if they decided what to close based upon public vote then CBJ would have been closed years ago.

Andsome

Any idea if they plan on fixing the father animatronic in the final scene? Not only did he look off when I went on it a couple of months back, but his movements have gotten worse as well. He hasn't been facing the oven when it explodes (it was also like that during my April 2017 trip) and now his neck no longer seems able to move up or down.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
But if they decided what to close based upon public vote then CBJ would have been closed years ago.

Would it have? There is a silent majority that seem to like it, I think at least. Plus, that fits perfectly where it is, barely takes up any space, is themed just right for Frontierland and it is a 1971 original. A rare attraction where Walt had a say in it. There is just simply no need to move it. The next generation will make a fuss that something isn't politically correct and they'll demand it gets removed but by then I'll hopefully be an old man.

I’d just like to throw this in...
I actually wish they’d take the final scene and retro it back to Walt’s time.
The chronology would make more sense, and it would truly be more “Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress”...!!!!! :)

Never thought of that, but good idea. It would be funny to see that original show and what people thought was "never going to get better" in the 1960s.

Heppenheimer

Would it have? There is a silent majority that seem to like it, I think at least. Plus, that fits perfectly where it is, barely takes up any space, is themed just right for Frontierland and it is a 1971 original. A rare attraction where Walt had a say in it. There is just simply no need to move it. The next generation will make a fuss that something isn't politically correct and they'll demand it gets removed but by then I'll hopefully be an old man.

Never thought of that, but good idea. It would be funny to see that original show and what people thought was "never going to get better" in the 1960s.
Just to play the devil's advocate, who could possibly find anything offensive about the Country Bear Jamboree? I generally do not like country music and many things associated with the Deep South, but I love this attraction.

The_Jobu

Just what the title says about it. Do you love it? To me it is classic Walt as much as any attraction can possibly be in WDW. No IPs, just straight from one person's mind to the 1964 World's Fair in Queens to what we see today. If I recall, the only attraction in all of WDW that Walt himself sat in on. Maybe I am wrong about this but I think it went from the World's Fair to Disneyland and then to Magic Kingdom. So Walt sat in on it if that were the case. I just heard this for the first time on our last trip when the cast member mentioned this before the show started.

I hope it always stays there, it is a slice of Americana as well, and I am Canadian and can see that. Very simple attraction, yet incredible attention to detail and a throwback. Never a wait longer than 5 minutes for it either. It bothers me when people suggest they should replace it.

Tell us your thoughts.

It's always a must-ride for me. Might be the most/only "authentic" Disney in WDW.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
It's always a must-ride for me. Might be the most/only "authentic" Disney in WDW.

I could definitely agree on "most authentic" but definitely isn't the "only" authentic one. Small World I would consider very much authentic. Tiki Birds, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc. Rides or shows like that you won't find anywhere else.............CBJ, HoP as well. But yeah I will agree with "most" authentic as that just screams Walt's vision right there.

Then again, the lyrics of one songs could be considered to make light of child abuse...

I always thought "Buford" in that song was a dog. Especially with the lyrics "I think you should shoot him instead". It always get a good laugh. Isn't it a dog they are talking about?

danyoung56

Just to play the devil's advocate, who could possibly find anything offensive about the Country Bear Jamboree? I generally do not like country music and many things associated with the Deep South, but I love this attraction.

I saw a post a few weeks ago where a lady was offended by the lyrics of the song "All the Guys That Turn Me On Turn Me Down". She felt that any talk of bears getting turned on was inappropriate.

KikoKea

CoP is in our top 2 attractions. DH and I ride it several times we are in MK, and are disappointed if it is down. While the back row is our favorite spot to take in the whole show, we also like to mix it up and sit up close on either side so we can look at details in the scene.

Thingamabob

I am just 18 years old and most of my friends who have to to Disney World think the Carousel of Progress is a snoozer. Me on the other hand, I absolutely love it. From the first time I saw it back when I was 8 years old I thought it was the coolest thing and actually drove my older brother crazy singing, "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" for hours after we did the ride. :)

Phil12

I am just 18 years old and most of my friends who have to to Disney World think the Carousel of Progress is a snoozer. Me on the other hand, I absolutely love it. From the first time I saw it back when I was 8 years old I thought it was the coolest thing and actually drove my older brother crazy singing, "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" for hours after we did the ride. :)
Yeah, me too: https://theprople.bandcamp.com/track/theres-a-great-big-beautiful-tomorrow

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom