Carousel of Progress appreciation thread

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Just what the title says about it. Do you love it? To me it is classic Walt as much as any attraction can possibly be in WDW. No IPs, just straight from one person's mind to the 1964 World's Fair in Queens to what we see today. If I recall, the only attraction in all of WDW that Walt himself sat in on. Maybe I am wrong about this but I think it went from the World's Fair to Disneyland and then to Magic Kingdom. So Walt sat in on it if that were the case. I just heard this for the first time on our last trip when the cast member mentioned this before the show started.

I hope it always stays there, it is a slice of Americana as well, and I am Canadian and can see that. Very simple attraction, yet incredible attention to detail and a throwback. Never a wait longer than 5 minutes for it either. It bothers me when people suggest they should replace it.

Tell us your thoughts.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Everyone in our DF loves it, (my 21 y. o. DD especially)...it's a must do multiple times on our trips. If the "powers that be" ever decided to move it, I could see it fitting in the mish-mosh that is now Epcot...but don't EVER get rid of it!!!

It would work well in Epcot for sure. But it is just fine in Magic Kingdom I think. A good example of how a great attraction can be just that without having to be attached to anything other than imagination.

Heppenheimer

Does anyone here remember the original iteration of the attraction at Disney World? Apart from some minor plot changes, the biggest differences were that another actor besides Jean Shepherd played the father (we called him "Mr. Johnson" because he looked exactly like "Dr. Johnson" at Mission to Mars), and the song was "The Best Time of Your Life", not "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". I personally prefer the former, but that's probably because it's the one I knew as a kid.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
People are always surprised when they ask what my favorite attraction is in all of Disney world and I answer with Carousel of Progress.

I've loved it since I can remember it.

I must watch it at least 3 times while I'm there and always sit in the front row pretty much right in front of John.

I adore Jean Shepherd's voice. Ironically he did a whole segment on his radio show back in 1964 about the fair and talked about COP and then he became a part of it!

I've also learned so much from the attraction and quote it often.

It was open "seasonally" in 2003 when I went which meant it was closed and on the chopping block.
My parents and I filled out a petition to get it off the chopping block.
I like to think it helped since its still around and I'm so happy that in recent years I'm surrounded by others in the theater that used to be so empty.

donaldtoo

Funny thing is, this is an attraction I didn’t even know about before our first family trip (DWifey and 3 kiddos) back in ‘01...and, I had been to WDW one previous time in ‘88 on our honeymoon, and to Disneyland 4 previous times in ‘68, ‘70, ‘72, and ‘87...!!!
We were in Tomorrowland in July and just happened upon it. The A/C was nice, of course, but, the show itself just completely captured our hearts, and has been a favorite of ours ever since...!!!!!!! :happy:
Long live Carousel of Progress...!!!!! :geek:;):)

bubbles1812

I like... that it’s a great place to take a nap during the middle of the day. Just sit in the back row and there’s a solid 20 minutes of snooze time.

(I’m... sorta kidding. I’ve been going to Disney since the very early 90s but somehow missed COP until I was at least in high school. I think I legit thought the show building was part of Space Mountain or Tomorrowland’s general decor. I appreciate the ride now for its history and connection to Walt but I don’t love love it. I think the last scene just needs an update.)

donaldtoo

Does anyone here remember the original iteration of the attraction at Disney World? Apart from some minor plot changes, the biggest differences were that another actor besides Jean Shepherd played the father (we called him "Mr. Johnson" because he looked exactly like "Dr. Johnson" at Mission to Mars), and the song was "The Best Time of Your Life", not "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". I personally prefer the former, but that's probably because it's the one I knew as a kid.

I’ve read about it before, and have seen video, but, have never seen that iteration in person.
Either way, I still love it...!!!!!!! :happy:

Cmdr_Crimson

Anyone For Pizza???
InformalAntiqueInganue-size_restricted.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom