Carnival in the news again

KeithVH

I get that these incidents are specific ships and just Carnival itself but one wonders if the attitudes and behaviors that result in these problems exits all across the Carnival plc and how that impacts their other lines. That's a lot of bottoms to be monitored for a consistent quality customer experience.

BoarderPhreak

You couldn't pay me to take a Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruise. I haven't had the chance to take a Disney cruise yet, but have done several Princess cruises. Never once an issue - with anything - let alone norovirus outbreaks left and right, sh*t piling up to the ceilings or fires.

Phonedave

This might not be Carnival's fault, but it certainly isn't good publicity.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...d-after-falling-from-carnival-elation-balcony

Not to be morbid or callous, but how do you even handle something like that? It happened on the first day of a 4 day cruise, and you know news of it spread throughout the ship. How as a cruise director can you promote a happy fun party atmosphere when everybody knows someone died from an on board accident on the first day.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Not to be morbid or callus, but how do you even handle something like that? It happened on the first day of a 4 day cruise, and you know news of it spread throughout the ship. How as a cruise director can you promote a happy fun party atmosphere when everybody knows someone died from an on board accident on the first day.

I guess they take the "life goes on" mentality. I would hope that they at least air lifted the family off so they are not stuck on the cruise for the duration.

NelleBelle

I guess they take the "life goes on" mentality. I would hope that they at least air lifted the family off so they are not stuck on the cruise for the duration.
This is Carnival we're talking about...but one can always hope. :cautious: How horrible for that poor family. And then there was the person who fell off their balcony onto a deck several decks down :banghead:

How in the world do they let Carnival Triumph sail? Wasn't that the "poop" cruise ship that caught fire? You couldn't pay me to even step aboard that ship (or any Carnival ship)!

Phonedave

I doubt they airlifted them off. I would think they would disembark (with the body if possible) at the next port and (hopefully) Carnival would arrange transportation home. Again, not to be callous, but it really is not an emergency. On a four day cruise they are most likely in (or near) a port each day. For me, the whole excitement and attention of an airlift is not what I would want. I would rather quietly exit at the next port, have a local agent expedite whatever paperwork needed to be done, and then take me to an airport and get me on a flight back home.

-dave

21stamps

This is Carnival we're talking about...but one can always hope. :cautious: How horrible for that poor family. And then there was the person who fell off their balcony onto a deck several decks down :banghead:

How in the world do they let Carnival Triumph sail? Wasn't that the "poop" cruise ship that caught fire? You couldn't pay me to even step aboard that ship (or any Carnival ship)!

Sounds like she didn’t fall. Her boyfriend was taken into custody.
I don’t think any cruise line can be held responsible for that. It’s so sad.
An extreme weather guy died in the past few days as well.. apparent OD. I forget which line.
All of these deaths, the Mexico incident and a few others.. it’s been a busy news time for the cruise industry lately.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

Sounds like she didn’t fall. Her boyfriend was taken into custody.
I don’t think any cruise line can be held responsible for that. It’s so sad.
An extreme weather guy died in the past few days as well.. apparent OD. I forget which line.
All of these deaths, the Mexico incident and a few others.. it’s been a busy news time for the cruise industry lately.

The woman who fell overboard on the Triumph didn't have a boyfriend. The news article I just read said the cruise was a gift from her husband. It said nothing about anybody being taken into custody. I haven't seen anything on the other woman who died either? Curious, do you have the link to story so I can read it?

The only one I remember was the woman this past summer on a Princess cruise in Alaska who was shoved overboard by her husband.

21stamps

The woman who fell overboard on the Triumph didn't have a boyfriend. The news article I just read said the cruise was a gift from her husband. It said nothing about anybody being taken into custody. I haven't seen anything on the other woman who died either? Curious, do you have the link to story so I can read it?

The only one I remember was the woman this past summer on a Princess cruise in Alaska who was shoved overboard by her husband.

Here is what I read about the Bahamas incident. I can’t find a link that says “boyfriend”, I thought I read it, but in my first page of Google results the articles just say “man”.
http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/0...passenger-falls-to-death-on-carnival-elation/
The woman reportedly died after she fell from her balcony on the 14th deck down to the 11th deck on the Carnival Elation cruise ship.
The death was confirmed by Carnival who said that "a guest fell from her balcony to several decks below," according to New4Jax.
The Carnival Elation departed yesterday from Jacksonville on a four-day cruise to the Bahamas.
A passenger sent me photographs which he took on the cruise ship, including of an area on deck 11 which had been roped off. The passenger commented that the woman was apparently celebrating her birthday. Another passenger reportedly was seen handcuffed after the incident. Police from Freeport, Bahamas reportedly boarded the ship after the fatality.
You can see additional photos from the cruise ship here.

The other incident said that passengers heard arguing, but obviously that doesn’t explain if she jumped or was pushed.

Based on everything I’ve read about passengers “falling overboard”, it doesn’t appear that any of them were due to faulty railings. People jump, are pushed, or fall when intoxicated. Although each situation, solved or unsolved, is tragic.. I’d hate to see drastic actions, such as closing in balconies, as a result of these stories.

NelleBelle

Here is what I read about the Bahamas incident. I can’t find a link that says “boyfriend”, I thought I read it, but in my first page of Google results the articles just say “man”.
http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/0...passenger-falls-to-death-on-carnival-elation/
The woman reportedly died after she fell from her balcony on the 14th deck down to the 11th deck on the Carnival Elation cruise ship.
The death was confirmed by Carnival who said that "a guest fell from her balcony to several decks below," according to New4Jax.
The Carnival Elation departed yesterday from Jacksonville on a four-day cruise to the Bahamas.
A passenger sent me photographs which he took on the cruise ship, including of an area on deck 11 which had been roped off. The passenger commented that the woman was apparently celebrating her birthday. Another passenger reportedly was seen handcuffed after the incident. Police from Freeport, Bahamas reportedly boarded the ship after the fatality.

The other incident said that passengers heard arguing, but obviously that doesn’t explain if she jumped or was pushed.

Based on everything I’ve read about passengers “falling overboard”, it doesn’t appear that any of them were due to faulty railings. People jump, are pushed, or fall when intoxicated. Although each situation, solved or unsolved, is tragic.. I’d hate to see drastic actions, such as closing in balconies, as a result of these stories.
Thanks! :)

I think my main point about the Triumph is that it seems to have a "black cloud" over it with a certain level of ill-fated notoriety of illness, accidents/injuries, and breakdowns that I would stay that heck away from that ship (actually that cruise line). :cautious:

Phonedave

That's true. Things like ships breaking down, and outbreaks of illness, that you can blame on the cruise line, But if the railings are up to code, and are not broken, you really can't stop people from climbing over them. I guess you could make the ever popular argument about alcohol and if you get a lot of drunk people there are more apt to be accidents, but that really is a bit of a stretch,

-dave

NelleBelle

Geesh!! Why doesn't the CDC "ground" the entire fleet?! I mean, if their newest ship is failing health and sanitation violations, I have little hope for the older ships where the equipment is a lot older. I have to ask @ChuckElias, I'm studying to hopefully take the TAP, so as someone who works in the travel field, do you ever recommend to your clients to not book with a specific cruise line or give them any info (such as a history like this...I realize that ships can get their act together and clean up their act and not have further violations, but Carnival just seems to have so many violations?

ChuckElias

Original Poster
do you ever recommend to your clients to not book with a specific cruise line or give them any info (such as a history like this.
I personally don't book Carnival for my clients unless they specifically insist on it. When a client asks me about Carnival, I explain why I don't recommend them, but I also tell them that I understand why Carnival is appealing. I try to steer them to a line that I believe to be a good fit for them at a reasonable price. Ultimately, it's the client's decision.

NelleBelle

I personally don't book Carnival for my clients unless they specifically insist on it. When a client asks me about Carnival, I explain why I don't recommend them, but I also tell them that I understand why Carnival is appealing. I try to steer them to a line that I believe to be a good fit for them at a reasonable price. Ultimately, it's the client's decision.
Do you ever have them sign a waiver stating that they can't hold you responsible for things like catching norovirus/illness, ship breaking down, etc? Thanks! I've been curious how one would handle that specific issue, especially if it's a product/trip you don't really recommend or stand behind :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom