Caribbean vs Art of Animation

batpizza

Original Poster
We are a family of four (two boys 7 and 4). We are planning our vacation for 2020, but we are conflicted about where to stay. Caribbean and AoA are essentially the same price for a standard room. Which would you pick and why? Our main concerns are dining, room size, and getting to the parks. I should add the boys could care less about Disney characters and princesses...

Last edited:

drizgirl

Why would you stay at AoA if your boys don't care about princesses? All the standard rooms there are Little Mermaid rooms. Plus the walk to transportation is very long. Even if you make a specific request, you can't get close to transportation. Not sure about CBR for convenience, but you can probably get a standard room a bit closer.

John park hopper

We stayed at CBR right before construction started in 2017 at that time there were multiple bus stops prior to heading to the parks. I don't know if the has changed and if the gondolas are faster than the bus. What is the price difference between CBR and POFQ?

Minthorne

Price out staying at the Swan or Dolphin. Even with the added resort fee it is often the same as CBR per night.

Pros:
Better location
less Disney theme
often simialr cost to disney moderates

Cons:
Added costs of transfer from airport (No magic Express)
Added cost of resort fee
Magic Band not included
less Disney theme

righttrack

CBR will probably meet your needs out of those two. I also will second the Swan/Dolphin suggestion as an additional alternative.

PeoplemoverTTA

I stayed in a standard AoA room in May and didn’t care for it. It was a far walk and the room wasn’t as nice as a recently refurbished Pop room.

IMO, the difference between a value and a moderate is huge. The amenities, the feel of the rooms, even the bus stops being less of a walk in many instances, all make moderates my favorite balance of cost versus amenities. We’re actually staying at CBR in December 👍

thecouch

If only 4 people would probably be better off at pop century across the watr from art.

I stayed 2 nights at dolphin, 5 at carribean and in family room at art. Art was the one I was looking forward to the most but was my least favourite. Walking around at night was nice but just didn't click for me. My fav was dolphin and rest of the family the Caribbean

Disorbust

AoA beds are terrible in the the family suites can't speak to the Mermaid rooms. While we were there they dumbed down the food court, maybe CBR is better.

Tony the Tigger

I would say definitely CBR. Stayed many times. Re: food: AoA only has QS. CBR has good/not the usual QS, plus a restaurant, plus a bar outdoors (but covered) that serves food.

Plus you have the new gondolas going there. 🚡

KaliSplash

I would definitely stay at CBR. We were there in August and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Rooms are bigger, more food offerings, better bus stops.

Tom P.

I don't understand everyone saying how far of a walk it is from the standard rooms at Art of Animation. Yes, the standard rooms are the farthest away from the main building and the bus stop, but AoA is still a comparatively compact resort overall. Caribbean Beach is absolutely huge and sprawling. If you are in a standard room, you are likely going to feel like you are in another county from the shops, arcade, restaurants, etc. Yes, it has multiple bus stops, but other things are quite a trek to get to.

That said, AoA is a value resort so the amenities are not going to be as good as at a moderate. There is no table service restaurant, just quick service. The rooms are slightly smaller. There are no water slides at the pools. Etc. And, yes, the Little Mermaid rooms probably wouldn't appeal, theme-wise, to boys who aren't interested in princesses. All that said, we love AoA and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone staying there.

In the Parks
No
I have stayed at both of those resorts and I am a kids. Now I am not as young as your boys and I am a girl who does like princesses so The Little Mermaid rooms I did like. I do remember though the bus stops at AoA being quite a distance from the room. CBR is very spread out but really beautiful and they do have many bus stops. I think from what you posted it seems CBR would be the best for you.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
CBR for sure. Barring construction, we spend our lengthy trips there in a preferred room. Absolutely beautiful grounds, plenty of space in the rooms, nice food court that isn’t nearly as packed as a Value.

ninjaprincesst

Both places are nice, what does your family prefer? Is the theme of one more appealing than the other? Is the Skyliner part of your choice? My personal choice would be CBR.

daisyduckie

We are a family of four (two boys 7 and 4). We are planning our vacation for 2020, but we are conflicted about where to stay. Caribbean and AoA are essentially the same price for a standard room. Which would you pick and why? Our main concerns are dining, room size, and getting to the parks. I should add the boys could care less about Disney characters and princesses...

If those 2 things are you main worry, I would go with CBR. However, CBR is my least favorite of the moderates, so I would go with any other moderate. If you think you might hit Disney Springs (and it's awesome Lego store) go with either POR or POFQ. CSR would be my choice if you plan on spending time by the pool, as it has the longest pool slide of the moderate resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom