Caribbean beach reviews/tips

patch553

Original Poster
We've been lucky enough to stay at all the other moderates over the years and next year we'll complete them all by staying at CBR, we've booked a preferred room, has anybody stayed there recently or have any reviews or tips? Any and all info will be great thanks x

Johnguelff

Still my favorite resort behind the poly. But I've been priced out of there. Good to get breakfast there and use Port Royale bus stop to get to the parks. (if using a bus) Was there in May and all of the mattresses were not converted to the new ones yet, if you get a room with an old mattress they will bring you one right away. Lol. The main pool there is my favorite among the hotels in Disney and at night the resort is beautiful.

Jess G

I love CBR I've been there twice. The CMs are awesome and helpful. My last trip there was just in April. A good tip would be that you can see fireworks from the bridge near the pool. Make sure you explore the whole resort, there's a lot to see. Port royal is a great QS.

Mickey1984

Which area / rooms are classified under preffered? do you get to pick which area you want to stay in. It's a toss up between this and POR (*we have stayed at POFQ before) and we are leaning towards POR due to the size of CBR, but if you book preferred do you auto matcially get one particualr area which is much closer to the 'centre'

Cowboy Steve

Which area / rooms are classified under preffered? do you get to pick which area you want to stay in. It's a toss up between this and POR (*we have stayed at POFQ before) and we are leaning towards POR due to the size of CBR, but if you book preferred do you auto matcially get one particualr area which is much closer to the 'centre'
I believe Martinique and Trinidad North are the preferred upgrade areas at CBR. We made our reservations through our local AAA office. As for picking a specific preferred area, I think that depends on availability - but I don't know that for a fact. I'd suggest getting on chat or calling Disney and ask them. :) On past reservations we have been able to request specific buildings and floors at a resort, but not necessarily specific rooms.

DisneyJoe

I believe Martinique and Trinidad North are the preferred upgrade areas at CBR. We made our reservations through our local AAA office. As for picking a specific preferred area, I think that depends on availability - but I don't know that for a fact. I'd suggest getting on chat or calling Disney and ask them. :) On past reservations we have been able to request specific buildings and floors at a resort, but not necessarily specific rooms.

Correct, Martinique (just north of Old Port Royale) and Trinidad North (just south of the main pool) are the preferred "islands".

You can request one or the other, or request your view, but requests are not guaranteed.

Weather_Lady

In choosing between Martinique and Trinidad North, if you're taking WDW buses to the parks, you may wish to request Martinique. From what I understand, the buses typically circle the resort clockwise beginning with Jamaica (or Martinique itself, according to an old map of the bus routes for MK and DS - http://www3.zansstuff.com/CBRBusMap.jpg), so those in Martinique will, at the very least, get on/off earlier in the route, just before the busy and popular Old Port Royale stop. Those in Trinidad North will get picked up/dropped off nearer the end of the route, after Old Port Royale, and may have more difficulty finding a seat.

cslafferty

We are staying in a pirate room in December. Is that area one of the last bus stops? Im wondering if we'd be better off walking to a different stop.

The Mighty Tim

My experience with the buses at CBR was that the order in which the buses arrived at the stops around the resort depended on the final destination of the bus. For some places, Martinique (where I was staying) was early on - for others it was later on.

Unfortunately, I can't remember which destinations served the stops in which order

iluvMainStMagic

Which area / rooms are classified under prefered? do you get to pick which area you want to stay in. It's a toss up between this and POR (*we have stayed at POFQ before) and we are leaning towards POR due to the size of CBR, but if you book preferred do you automatcially get one particular area which is much closer to the 'centre'

As others have said, Martinique & North Trinidad are the preferred islands. You would book a "preferred" room and then request the island section that you want (of course, as always, they don't guarantee the island - but if you pay for preferred, you will get a preferred room).

If you look at the map, in general (to me), Martinique looks closer to Old Port Royale (the food court building) than No. Trinidad. We have also stayed in a regular room in Jamaica, which (along with Aruba) is also close to OPR, and we thought it was a very pleasant walk over the bridge to get there.

POR is actually just as big as CBR, both have in the neighborhood of 2,000 rooms, but they are laid out differently. We love the theming of both, though (just personal preference) we like the food court at POR better. But it's nice to have regular room options at CBR that are also pretty close to the food court.
Whichever one you choose, have a wonderful time!!!

NonnaT

We are staying in a pirate room in December. Is that area one of the last bus stops? Im wondering if we'd be better off walking to a different stop.
IMHO DO NOT STAY IN THE PIRATE ROOMS!!!
I love CBR, my favorite mod, way over the Ports, BUT, the pirate rooms are waaaaay far away from everything. And they only have double beds, not queens.
Even though you're paying more, you're getting less! If paying for a preferred room, request anything in Trinidad North or Martinique 24, 25, or 26.
We usually stay in Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51, both close to the bridge connecting to OPR. About a 5 minutes walk...

cslafferty

IMHO DO NOT STAY IN THE PIRATE ROOMS!!!
I love CBR, my favorite mod, way over the Ports, BUT, the pirate rooms are waaaaay far away from everything. And they only have double beds, not queens.
Even though you're paying more, you're getting less! If paying for a preferred room, request anything in Trinidad North or Martinique 24, 25, or 26.
We usually stay in Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51, both close to the bridge connecting to OPR. About a 5 minutes walk...
We're getting the free dining offer and the those were the only rooms available for that

Weather_Lady

Can someone else confirm - are the beds in the pirate rooms double or queen?

They are double-sized. The pirate ship beds were installed prior to the most recent refurb (when all of the other, non-pirate CBR rooms were switched from double beds to queen beds). Probably because they were still new and custom-made, they were not changed out for larger versions.

If the bed size is a problem for you but you don't want to sacrifice free dining, I would suggest: (1) keep checking every day to see if a free dining room in another category opens up; and (2) if it doesn't, ask politely when you arrive at the resort to check-in whether there is any possibility of being re-assigned to a standard room and still keeping the free dining plan. (I realize that free dining is specific to certain room types when offered, but who knows -- there may be some wiggle room when it comes to assigning a room at the last minute, especially if there is sufficient availability and what you're technically asking for is a less expensive room.) The worst they can do is say no.

Last edited:

cslafferty

Bed size will be ok - DH and I will just be "cozy!" I was reading other reviews of the pirate rooms, and many said they looked old and smelled musty. Do you know if they were recently refurbished? I see they just did the regular rooms, but can't find mention of the pirate rooms.

JillC LI

We've stayed there twice. Loved it. Both times we requested a standard room in Jamaica or Aruba near the footbridge so it's a quick walk to the food court and main pool. Love the hammocks on the beach and the steel drum music. We had a rental car both times so I can't comment on the buses.

Weather_Lady

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom