Caribbean Beach Resort--- 1st time staying there

Disney Family 4

Original Poster
In Feb 2018 our family of 4 will be making the trip to WDW (our 7th) and staying at Caribbean Beach Resort (for the 1st time). We normally stay on the monorail loop but my wife talked us into staying some place different and we settled on CBR. I believe we are staying at a pool view room and wondered if that was the best way to go? Also wondered what area would be the best to stay in order to be close to the food court, and bus stops? Does the size of this resort impact the bus waits with the multiple in-resort stops? lots of new things to learn on this trip.

John park hopper

Are you aware there is construction going at CBR. The Barbados section has been completely torn down as well as half of Martinique. The construction won't be completed until early 2019. At what stage of completion in Feb 2018 will be ? We were there in May and just as we left the food court closed (retaurant had closed prior to our arrival) and a tent was set up for serving food. We stayed in Martinique building 24 and spent most of our time in the parks the 8 days we were there. For us we just used the resort as a place to sleep and use the pool at night. If you are looking to use the resort I would suggest booking another resort as the construction--fenced off areas-- food tent-- and heavy equipment--hard hat workers just did not give the resort that Disney feeling. If you have kids they may not enjoy it. The buses ran frequently and the muitiple stops were not a problem. The MK is the furthest park and took (guessing) 20 min to get there. Hope this helped. If you booked before March 20 2017 you are given a $75/day gift card which can be used anywhere in the parks. For my wife and I this more than paid for our lunch and dinner in the parks. When construction is completed in 2019 we plan on returning as we liked the resort location and anxious to see the new food court and restaurant which is being built. Is Disney significantly discounting the the rooms now, if so it may make it worth putting up with the construction

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm in agreement with @John park hopper, I'd stay at another resort. We stayed at ASMusic while the food court was closed for renovations. They set up a counter and coolers with food for purchase in the arcade - it was a pain in the behind. We could walk over to ASSports if we wanted a better selection, but you won't have that option at CBR. I will assume that Shutters is closed also. People were complaining during my stays at WL about the closure of Roaring Forks. While many guests say "I just sleep at the resort", the lack of food options isn't something most would tolerate well.

Bender123

Depends on how much you use the hotel. My next stay there is in two weeks and its cheaper than the all-stars, for a much better room. I really don't miss the restaurants, as they were pretty awful to begin with. What you lose in crappy restaurants you get back in affordability and a still crappy, but all you can eat, quick service credit buffet.

If you usually spend time at other hotels for meals and spend most of your time at the park, you wont really even notice the closures.

DisneyAubs

In Feb 2018 our family of 4 will be making the trip to WDW (our 7th) and staying at Caribbean Beach Resort (for the 1st time). We normally stay on the monorail loop but my wife talked us into staying some place different and we settled on CBR. I believe we are staying at a pool view room and wondered if that was the best way to go? Also wondered what area would be the best to stay in order to be close to the food court, and bus stops? Does the size of this resort impact the bus waits with the multiple in-resort stops? lots of new things to learn on this trip.

I think if you are used to staying on the monorail loop then you will be disappointed in staying at at a resort under so much construction.

newhorizons1

I stayed there for the first time for a long weekend back in April. It is by far my least favorite moderate. I'm actually staying here again in October/November of this year because, well, gift card. Otherwise, I would not be here. The food area isn't a huge deal to me as I typically bring my own breakfast and eat my other meals in the parks, but transportation was a nightmare and the rooms are kind of meh.

Disney Family 4

Original Poster
Thanks to you all for the awesome advise and insight..... I we were thinking of moving to POFQ but it seems that French Quarter is never available for any of the discounts that come out. Any ideas if we wanted to stay in a moderate class resort this time. We know we can always find a room on the loop, but interested in finding something different.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks to you all for the awesome advise and insight..... I we were thinking of moving to POFQ but it seems that French Quarter is never available for any of the discounts that come out. Any ideas if we wanted to stay in a moderate class resort this time. We know we can always find a room on the loop, but interested in finding something different.

Coronado Springs is also in the middle of building work, which leaves the two Port Orleans resorts. Have you considered trying Old Key West? It is a DVC resort so you could either get a studio or a one bedroomed villa, with full kitchen and washer dryer. Whichever type you get, the rooms are the biggest on property. But because it's fairly big, and not close to the parks (you can get a boat to DS though), it tends to be more moderate in price.

You could also try AKL which again is lower priced than the monorail resorts. That is a holiday in itself. Incredible theming, amazing views of the savannah, and even if you're not in a savannah view room, there are plenty of places to view the animals. Lots of activities going on, cultural, crafty, food related ........ And the use of two pools, the one at AKL itself (Jambo House) and the one at Kidani which is the DVC resort, a 10 minute walk away.

John park hopper

We have have stayed at POFQ when my boys were young. As i remember it the resort was quiet and the boys enjoyed the pool and running over to the food court for snacks. We had no problem with buses to and from the parks. I just a did a quick check they do have rooms available in Feb but I did not see discounts. CBR standard room was $166 I assume due to construction. February may not be pool weather (day low 70's, night low 50's) so it may not factor into your resort selection.

nickys

Premium Member
We have have stayed at POFQ when my boys were young. As i remember it the resort was quiet and the boys enjoyed the pool and running over to the food court for snacks. We had no problem with buses to and from the parks. I just a did a quick check they do have rooms available in Feb but I did not see discounts. CBR standard room was $166 I assume due to construction. February may not be pool weather (day low 70's, night low 50's) so it may not factor into your resort selection.

Believe me, for anyone from the UK that is still pool weather!

John park hopper

For us in the colonies its a might bit cool for swimming even though all the pools are heated to 82 F. It's the air temp that gets you the you get out.

TabulaRasa

Moderate options seem in flux at the moment with heavy construction at both CBR and CSR. If your budget allows (since you're a monorail loop vet), have you considered Animal Kingdom Lodge? It's typically on the lower end cost wise of the Deluxe resorts, and is absolutely amazing!

Disney Family 4

Original Poster
we have talked about AKL as an option for this trip, also we have discussed keeping the CBR reservation for now and waiting until the discounts come out for that time of year and see what we can do to upgrade resorts at a better price? Has anyone had luck doing that? I know we will have to stay on top of things and call Disney as soon the discounts come out to ensure we get a discount room/resort

Huggups

I love CBR! The grounds are beautiful but who knows with all the construction. I know the food areas are also affected. If you're able to I would make a switch. Of course, that is not always the easiest thing to do.

Andrew M

Sorry to partially hijack the thread, but we are staying there in November mainly for the gift card. I'm aware all the main restaurants are gone but I just wanted to check and make sure there was still a poolside bar open, right?

That's about all the in-resort restaurant I need after pushing a triple stroller around the parks...

CaptainAmerica

I literally would not stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort in its current state if I got the rooms for $50 a night. Maybe if they were free, but even then I'd have to decide if the flight was worth the bother. The food and amenity situation is an absolute joke and Disney should be embarrassed. Most of you who know me are aware that I tend to fall on the side of defending Disney, but this is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Martinique-Island-Market_Caribbean-Beach-Resort_Dining-Updates_17-03-700x465.jpg

That's the restaurant right now. It's a hotel room.

Chaset24

I literally would not stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort in its current state if I got the rooms for $50 a night. Maybe if they were free, but even then I'd have to decide if the flight was worth the bother. The food and amenity situation is an absolute joke and Disney should be embarrassed. Most of you who know me are aware that I tend to fall on the side of defending Disney, but this is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Martinique-Island-Market_Caribbean-Beach-Resort_Dining-Updates_17-03-700x465.jpg

That's the restaurant right now. It's a hotel room.

I thought that was just a grab and go location and that the main food area is in a big tent by the main pool..

John park hopper

I thought that was just a grab and go location and that the main food area is in a big tent by the main pool..

You are correct these were set up for quick snacks. The food tent has set up in front of the now closed food court prices are reasonable and if there rooms were discounted to $50 a night I'd be back there now

DisneyAubs

Sorry to partially hijack the thread, but we are staying there in November mainly for the gift card. I'm aware all the main restaurants are gone but I just wanted to check and make sure there was still a poolside bar open, right?

That's about all the in-resort restaurant I need after pushing a triple stroller around the parks...

There is a food truck that had adult beverages (looks like an old airstream--I'm honestly not sure if it's always there or if it's the temporary solution). So no bar to sit in, but you can grab a drink and take k the room or sit by the pool. The Mai Tai was yummy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom