Car Rental

wdw100

Original Poster
We are planning a trip to WDW next week and we have been looking at car rental prices. Should we rent a car or take Mears to our resort. I know Disney Transportation is really good (Sometimes). Oh, and a other thing do we get a parking pass because were resort guests. :)

Tron

Unless you plan on spending a lot of time going to other points in the Orlando area, I wouldn't even bother with a car. If you're staying in a Disney resort and are spending the bulk of your time at WDW, you don't need a car. If you're going to other places, say a day at Universal or Sea World, just take cab.

Beauty and the

Coming from Engalnd we would never dream of not having a a car there are too many great places outside of WDW for us to visit. We love going out and trying other places to eat three weeks in WDW you do sometimes need a break from the Mouse.

Coronado

Rent a car.....While on property use the shutle bus, boat, or monorail....Lots of neat places to go around the park....on SR 192 there are some realy nice places to eat. International drive is a trip in itself....especially the upside down place...(you will see), the markets, outlet stores, ripleys, other parks and of course... their is a McDonalds just off World Drive (and in the park) when you get tired of paying $40.00 for breakfast! If you have the time head for beautiful Clearwater Beach on America's other west coast.....Have fun, and remember that you cannot get lost here...just remember....when you start seeing street signs in Spanish....you went too far:lol:

JenLUVSmickey

RENT A CAR. We hardly ever leave the Disney property but its there if we need it. There have been a couple of occasions were we missed dinner in the parks and we drove outside of Disney to eat.
I think it so much easier then taking the Mears shuttle.
You get your luggage, go down stairs, sign in and walk outside and pick a car and then you are off to Disney. It's pretty quick and easy.
I don't know if you know this or not, but go with National Car Rental. I believe it saves you 15% if you stay at Disney because its there sponser.

DisneyPhD

We have stayed at WDW 7 times and not rented a car yet. Each time we have taken mears and it has worked well for us. Many people here at WDW magic really like Tiffany's car and for more then 3 adults I think the price is the same ( someone who know's could answer this!:lol: ) Anyway they will make a stop at a store for you and take you directly to your hotel. Becuase of this we are considering trying Tiffany next time.

Part of the Disney magic for my husband is escaping the stress of driving and traffic, you never get lost or have to think about directions. He really likes this.

We looked into renting this past Dec and found a great price for one week 70 $. Expect we were there one week and 5 hours and they wanted 50 $ more for those 5 hours, or go back to the airport early and just sit there. We werent going for that. Time on vaction is too valuable. I perfer not to drive, just sit back and let others take you there!!!!

goaler

If you are planning on spending all of your time at the world, you won't need a car. We drove down once during the summer, parked our car at the Wilderness Lodge, and didn't see it again for 5 days.

There are many choices to get from the airport to WDW, there is another thread on this forum titled "Mears Shuttle". You should definately read that one. We have been very pleased with Happy Limo Service. The cost for two adults and two teenagers is almost the same as taking the Mears bus.

This summer we are planning a trip for 5 days at WL and three more down at Vero Beach. Happy Limo will take us to WDW from the airport, then pick us up to take us to the rental car place.

If you think that you may want to go outside of WDW, then you should weigh the cost of the rental against a taxi. The taxis are very convenient although I don't know the cost.

JenLUVSmickey

If you decide to rent a car, it is near impossible to get lost from Orlando Airport to Disney. There are signs all over the road and there is never any traffic. There are not many cars on the road you take to Disney.
It is only a 20 minute drive. Its awesome.

Maria

I would suggest using Disney transportation while you are at the parks, and save some days if you have them, to tour Orlando by car. You can rent the car for a day or two to go to Universal and a visit to International Drive is a must!
Taxis are way too expensive in Orlando because everybody has transportation or rents a car! Lots of tourist driving so be aware! :D ;)

Nut4Disney

I would definitely rent a car, unless your going to be there longer than a week, and then it could get expensive. Even when we stay on Disney Property we rented a car. First, if you rent it ahead of time before you get there you can get a good deal. (We always use expedia.com) Second, we've always found for the cost of taking a shuttle from the airport to WDW and back it is almost as expensive as renting a car. If you want to go to Universal you have to take a taxi or a shuttle and it's at least $30. Also, it's nice to have a car to go to the grocery store, buy a styrofoam cooler and stock up on snacks and beer, soft drinks, and that also helps keep your eating costs down. NIce to have if you want to go out to dinner off of Disney property too.

crazykingdom

Account Suspended
If you rent a car NEVER use Alamo! Not only have I gotten crappy service from them they are not at the airport. Use National, Dollar or Budget.....these seem to have the best rates in Orlando.

Scooter

I vote for NO car if you stay on Disney Property.

Driving in a strange area is very stressful and Disney provides all the transporation you need to get around. To be honest..I think Thats part of the Magic for us. The boat ride from Disney MGM to The International Gateway is very relaxing. Riding the Monorail is a must for us when we go...and in spite what some have said, we have never had a problem with the Disney buses.

Best of all...all this is Free of charge. So why pay for a rental car and Insurance for it when you can go anywhere you want on Disney Property, and let someone else do the driving...for FREE! :animwink:

We just do Mears or Tiffiny Town Cars to the Resort...and back to Orlando airport...no stress...no strife...no hassle...it makes for a more enjoyable vacation. :D

mej

We always hire a car from Dollar. They are on the terminal and we have (touch wood) never had any problems - even with the 15 seater we had this time!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
If you drive or rent a car....make shure you rent one with a GPS so you wont get too lost.

My next trip, I am driving down...Road Trip! I will have GPS in my car or jeep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom