Car rental discounts...any advice?????

tink rules

I'm just trying to find a decent rate for a car rental out of MCO. It seems that since I was there last the rates have soared!!!

Any advice?

I need a car so busses etc. is out for us.

Nemo14

You're right, prices have really gone up a lot on car rentals. We have had good luck with L&M in the past - they're right at the airport, and you can book them online. If you want a good comparison of prices, try the Southwest airline website, under car rental. They give you a good comparison there. Good luck, and have a magical vacation!

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Mousesavers.com has a very good list of discounts available for renting cars in Orlando. In my experience, Dollar and Budget seem to have the lowest rates most often, when all discounts are factored in. If you rent from either of them, be sure to join their free frequent-renter program, which allows you to bypass the regular lines when picking up your car. (Sort of like FASTPASS for the car rental industry.)

Other folks have had good luck with National, which allows you to combine multiple discounts into a single transaction. It's never worked out for me, but I think one of those three companies should do the trick.

Sincerely,

LEn

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

When are you going? I have a coupon code that I found on-line that gives like 15% off and $15 off as well

We are getting a car from the Car Care Center (Alamo), we will be taking Magical Express from MCO to Pop and then get the car a few days later for the remainder of our trip. They also have a shuttle from Alamo to come and pick you up at your resort.

Upvote 0

tink rules

Original Poster
I arrive on 12/2 and leave on 12/12....

Can you get ME if you are only staying at the resort without a package? I have to think about this one...

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
The cheapest I've found is Thrifty. $269.69 all inclusive for Economy

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
now I find this through Payless auto rental

Intermediate Automatic w/Air
Chevrolet Cavalier 5 pass or similar 254.88

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

Just an example of a mid-size car for the time you need from Orlando from Alamo this is including tax and extras as I sent in the PM :).
<table style="width: 453px; height: 145px;" class="baseRate" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td>
(1) Time & Distance ($191.90/Week)</td><td class="amount">$191.90</td></tr><tr class="contrastColor"><td>(3) Extra - Time & Distance ($31.46/Day)</td><td class="amount"> $94.38</td></tr><tr><td class="coupon">Discount</td><td class="amount">($28.63)</td></tr></tbody> </table> <table class="addDriver" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <caption>

</caption><tbody><tr class="center"><td class="specialInstructions" colspan="3">

</td></tr></tbody> </table> <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">CDATA[//><!-- // these temp fuctions will be replaced when MRA msg is ready for go live function checkMRADefault(aCB){return true;} function showMRAPopup(aCB){return true;} //--><!]]></script> <table class="total" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <caption></caption><tbody><tr><td class="right">Estimated Total</td><td class="amount"> $327.75</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Upvote 0

wilary

I've been using National lately, which is on site. I get coupons from my Entertainment passbook saving at least $40 off of the regular rate. You can get the book at entertainment.com. They sell the coupon books for a lot of cities around the US. It's mostly for local deals, but they have national travel coupons as well.

Another trick is to see if your company has an established rate. A lot of companies allow you to use thier corporate rate on personal travel.

One more thing that I've noticed is that cars rates are way cheaper if you pick up away from the airport. Plus, you save on the taxes. National, for instance, has offices at the Car Care Center by MK, the BV Palace and the Dolphin. AND you can drop off at the airport with little or no charge...depending on the company.

Just shop around and you'll find something. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

tink rules

Original Poster
Has anyone rented from Thrifty or Budget? Which other companies? Anything good or bad I should know? I had always gone with Hertz before, but they are at the high end and I just wondered about the other companies.

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
Thrifty and Dollar are the same company. Just make sure you bring your insurance documentation when dealing with them at the airport, otherwise easy sailing with them.

My only experience with Budget was in San Francisco, and it was a less than good one... so I don't recommend them. Not to mention, their cheapest offering is close to $100 more than what I previously posted

on a different note... I've done this in some cities. Toyota Rent a Car. You rent a car from a Toyota dealership... usually a Corolla for $20-30/day (or other models for other prices). I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and they're usually cheaper than the normal agencies.

To add to what I've previously posted, back to rate searches. These are the CHEAPEST cars they offer

Alamo is $266.89
National is $271.69
Eagle (local company at MCO) is $272.92
EZ (another local company at MCO) is $282.69
Avis is $288.87
L&M is $323.94
Enterprise is $329.56
Dollar is $330.53

what else... a good Car Rental website is http://www.carrentalexpress.com They search local companies in the cities and turn up prices and options

Upvote 0

Nemo14

mkt said:
Thrifty and Dollar are the same company. Just make sure you bring your insurance documentation when dealing with them at the airport, otherwise easy sailing with them.

My only experience with Budget was in San Francisco, and it was a less than good one... so I don't recommend them. Not to mention, their cheapest offering is close to $100 more than what I previously posted

on a different note... I've done this in some cities. Toyota Rent a Car. You rent a car from a Toyota dealership... usually a Corolla for $20-30/day (or other models for other prices). I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and they're usually cheaper than the normal agencies.

To add to what I've previously posted, back to rate searches. These are the CHEAPEST cars they offer

Alamo is $266.89
National is $271.69
Eagle (local company at MCO) is $272.92
EZ (another local company at MCO) is $282.69
Avis is $288.87
L&M is $323.94
Enterprise is $329.56
Dollar is $330.53

what else... a good Car Rental website is http://www.carrentalexpress.com They search local companies in the cities and turn up prices and options
Is EZ at MCO? I know they are affiliated somehow with L&M, but I didn't realize they were also at MCO.

Upvote 0

MissM

This might sound dumb, but I didn't know this (I don't ever rent cars) so I'll mention is just in case. You can NOT use your debit/check card even if it carries a Visa or Mastercard logo for your car rental. Make sure you have a full on credit Visa or MC to rent your car. They'll take your debit card number over the phone but when you try to pick up the car, they won't let you.

Like I said, might be obvious, but I didn't discover that until I went to rent a car one time.
-m

(PS: Hertz used to do it but stopped as of May 05. Enterprise local will sometimes but not airport locations. Budget/Dollar will but only with a credit check. (!!) So it's pretty much a no-go.)

Upvote 0

patelaine1953

I have a Sam's Club membership and got a rate of $124 for a Dodge Stratus for I guess it would be six days since I'm not returning it until evening even though we pick up the car before noon.

Upvote 0

MINECAR

Account Suspended
this is just me but don't rent just take a plane and take the disney bus to your hotel use there buses its just so much easier in my opinion

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom