Captain Eo

CThaddeus

Admittedly, Captain EO had its flaws. There were continuity problems and it does have a very '80s look about it. However, I will be the first to tell you it was always one of my favorite Tomorrowland attractions at Disneyland (I didn't get to EPCOT until after it was gone), and to this day I still watch it. Personally, I thought the music and dancing were incredible, and I believe that has much to do with why I always liked it so much. Michael Jackson is extremely talented, regardless of what accusations may have been made against him. I also find the characters entertaining - The Geex, Fuzzball, Major Domo, and Hooter are all fun to watch, and the evil witch queen is played magnificently by Angelica Huston. I loved her makeup so much I even attempted to recreate it on myself one time.
I think Honey I Shrunk the Audience is lacking something that Captain EO always had for me - repeatability. After 16 minutes of the upbeat "We Are Here to Change the World" and "Another Part of Me," I was ready to jump back in line again. There is nothing about HISTA that gets me going in the same way, and consequently it's probably the attraction at Disneyland (and EPCOT) that I've been in least. I don't dislike HISTA, but I don't feel any particular urge to go in it, either. My hope is that whatever the next 3-D movie is to go in there it will have upbeat, catchy songs to make me want to come back over and over again.
Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll move my Fuzzball plush a little closer to my desk...

CThaddeus

There is a full version (claims to be recorded from MTV) over at Mousebits.

They did play it on MTV once right after it was removed from the Parks. I have a copy of it myself, but it's the full-screen version. Martin's is definitely better since it's the widescreen version. The only thing missing from both are the lasers that shot out of the screen. I was surprised when they showed it on MTV Disney that didn't even bother to add those effects in. The scene is strange without them. If only Disney would release a widescreen 3-D version of it for DVD. I'd snap that baby up in a second.

E-Ride Night

Captain EO rules and Michael Jackson rules....Stop putting the thing down. You know you saw it a bunch of times when it was out, so it couldn't have sucked that bad.

SDav10495

I've been watching Martin's widescreen version a few times...this is one show I'd totally put out of my mind. I'm not sure what to say that hasn't already been said. :lol:

I will say that I recently mentioned it to my older sister, who I figured would have a better memory of the show than I did.
All she said was, "Captain Eo?"
"Imagination Pavilion."
"Uh..."
"Michael Jackson."
"OH." Basically her eyes got all big and she held her forehead like she had a headache. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom