Captain E.O.-Possible Comeback?

jedimaster1227

Stitch's Supersonic Celebration. It got bashed alot, and for good reason.

Thats not quite the reason it closed... :animwink:

As for Captain EO, I don't see it happening, but my thoughts don't (entirely) follow suit with what others have been saying.

1. Like it or not, Michael Jackson is a part of Disney history, and his impact has been/continues to be felt worldwide, regardless of his associated controversies. Considering the fact that he was proved innocent on all accounts, I highly doubt the negative press would have such a reciprocal to rule out any future connection to the icon.

2. Like has been said, Disneyland garners the attention of a local audience, rather than a touristic one. Because of such a market, they can both afford and indulge in the concept of seasonal attraction overlays and limited engagements, freshening up their offerings in order to bring back their repeat visitors. Walt Disney World operates on a very different ship, and its management (especially at Magic Kingdom) are anti-overlay and are against seasonal updates. When faced with the concept of shutting down an attraction for several weeks (or even days), management has always been more cautious, considering that the majority of the visiting guests have never seen the attraction, or at least expect it to be open during their visit (this is very much a reason why the finalization of the Space Mountain project took so long--an acceptable timeframe for work [and the budget to fit that speedy work] had to be properly allocated). Even if Disney was willing to look into the legalities and pricing to bring back EO for a limited run, the potential closure of Honey, I Shrunk the Audience even for the shortest of time would make the suits scared beyond belief--enough to run away from the idea without ever looking back.

3. Although many (myself included) feel that HISTA is a tired attraction, it still acts both as a "people eater" and as a popular attraction for many who visit. (By "people eater," I mean an attraction or "experience" that pulls people away from other attractions and their queues for an extended period of time, allowing for shortened wait times for the more popular attractions. Examples include Universe of Energy, the queue for Soarin' and The Great Movie Ride.) The attraction's effects and visuals are still mind-boggling to the less "experienced" guests and the show still has a strong effect on first-time visitors that have yet to experience anything remotely similar. To revert to EO would be a downgrade in terms of effects. While some effects may still amuse, I doubt that the overall look of the film if translated as-is today would hold the same power over an audience as it did nearly 23 years ago. Now, if the film received some heavy touch ups (and maybe an upgrade to Disney Digital 3-D), I could see this being a more possible option.

Don't read this post the wrong way--I like Captain EO. I remember it from my earliest visits to Epcot, and for that I will always cherish the experience. Personally, I avoid HISTA as much as possible--I don't even recommend it to friends of mine that have never seen it. But, as much as I would love to see Captain EO again on a big screen in synchronization with in-theater effects, I just can't see the overlay being approved by WDW management, over the issues of budget, overall experience with the as-is film and with the concept of a closure (however short it may be) of a valuable attraction on the roster of the park.

tirian

Very true. :) However, this is a bit different seeing the controversy with Mr. Jackson.:eek:

The controversy is an issue at WDW, but the DL APs are more West-Coast minded, and would probably see EO as a tribute to Michael Jackson, not as approval for Wacko Jacko. That said, the only rumblings I've heard involve EO at DL, not at Epcot.

There's a few issues here. Some people would object to having a controversial figure like Jackson in the parks. Personally, that doesn't bother me. But I can see the point of view of those who would be bothered.

As a fan of the parks, what bothers me is the idea of going backwards rather than forwards. Eo had it's time in the parks. But that time is past. I would hate to see the parks pander to nostaligia by bringing it back. I'd rather see something new create new memories for fans to feel nostalgic about 20 years from now.

Nostalgia works for limited engagements; otherwise, DL's 50th anniversary wouldn't have been successful. Replaying Captain EO as an MJ tribute (as if we haven't been force-fed enough) is not the same as showing it for another five years. Plus, nostalgia doesn't mean you're "going backwards," unless you count the success of Turner Classic Movies, Main Street, classic-Disney DVD sales, and Pixar's films (all of which have elements of nostalgia) as devolution.

tirian

Don't read this post the wrong way--I like Captain EO. I remember it from my earliest visits to Epcot, and for that I will always cherish the experience. Personally, I avoid HISTA as much as possible--I don't even recommend it to friends of mine that have never seen it. But, as much as I would love to see Captain EO again on a big screen in synchronization with in-theater effects, I just can't see the overlay being approved by WDW management, over the issues of budget, overall experience with the as-is film and with the concept of a closure (however short it may be) of a valuable attraction on the roster of the park.

Liking Captain EO requires accepting the silliness and gaudiness inherent in 80s music videos.

The fact that HISTA is still operating is a tragedy. :lol:

lebeau

Nostalgia works for limited engagements; otherwise, DL's 50th anniversary wouldn't have been successful. Replaying Captain EO as an MJ tribute (as if we haven't been force-fed enough) is not the same as showing it for another five years. Plus, nostalgia doesn't mean you're "going backwards," unless you count the success of Turner Classic Movies, Main Street, classic-Disney DVD sales, and Pixar's films (all of which have elements of nostalgia) as devolution.

Yeah, nostalgia is okay as a limited engagement. But WDW doesn't really do limited engagements. Even things that were planned as limited wind up sticking around way past their expiration date (Toontown, the Wand). As you pointed out, I don't see Eo as a limited engagement at Epcot.

Watching an old movie is not the same thing as resurrecting a theme park ride which has already been demolished or converted into something else. And Main Street is an example of an attraction that uses nostalgia as an element, not a case of pulling something that was closed in the past back into the parks.

It's not that nostalgia is bad. But literally reviving the past to cater to it (at least in regards to theme park attractions) is bad. You're better off with a new attraction that plays on that nostalgia somehow.

I'd rather see a new film showcasing highlights of Jackson's videos and performances with state-of-the-art in theater effects than just a return of Eo.

Can you even imagine how a casual tourist would react to Eo today? I imagine there would be a lot of head-scratching. The latest Dreamworks feature has better 3-D effects.

Animaniac93-98

I'd like to see evidence of HISTA's current average attendance and why shutting it down for a long time would ruin vacations or hurt park capacity.

Epcot is huge in size and can support many, many more people than MK or DHS (it's the go to park when others are closed for capacity) and since HISTA is hardly a beloved, universally recognized favorite like Space Mountain until I see some concrete evidence or a logical aregument for that view I don't buy it.

tirian

Yeah, nostalgia is okay as a limited engagement. But WDW doesn't really do limited engagements. Even things that were planned as limited wind up sticking around way past their expiration date (Toontown, the Wand). As you pointed out, I don't see Eo as a limited engagement at Epcot.

Watching an old movie is not the same thing as resurrecting a theme park ride which has already been demolished or converted into something else. And Main Street is an example of an attraction that uses nostalgia as an element, not a case of pulling something that was closed in the past back into the parks.

It's not that nostalgia is bad. But literally reviving the past to cater to it (at least in regards to theme park attractions) is bad. You're better off with a new attraction that plays on that nostalgia somehow.

I'd rather see a new film showcasing highlights of Jackson's videos and performances with state-of-the-art in theater effects than just a return of Eo.

Can you even imagine how a casual tourist would react to Eo today? I imagine there would be a lot of head-scratching. The latest Dreamworks feature has better 3-D effects.

I rode Body Wars the very last time it was opened. I was alone in the simulator, and it wasn't nearly as good as I'd remembered it. Honestly, it was a goofy piece of 80s campiness, just like Captain EO. The MJ movie would work as a very limited run, but there's no reason for it to be re-released for an extended period of time; besides, WDI needs the theater for the new version of Imagination.

tirian

I'd like to see evidence of HISTA's current average attendance and why shutting it down for a long time would ruin vacations or hurt park capacity.

Epcot is huge in size and can support many, many more people than MK or DHS (it's the go to park when others are closed for capacity) and since HISTA is hardly a beloved, universally recognized favorite like Space Mountain until I see some concrete evidence or a logical aregument for that view I don't buy it.

I hate HISTA, but I'd rather see it stay there until it's replaced, instead of adding another empty building to Epcot's landscape.

Animaniac93-98

Yeah, nostalgia is okay as a limited engagement. But WDW doesn't really do limited engagements.

http://allears.net/tp/mk/msep.htm

Another thing people are forgetting is Kodak's input on this decision. Disney would never...", "Disney wouldn't want..." etc. means nothing if the sponsor, the one who's paying for the attraction to be there, says something else. Especially when Kodak's involvement with Disney extends beyond HISTA.

I'm sure if Kodak wanted it, Disney would give it to them.

Animaniac93-98

I hate HISTA, but I'd rather see it stay there until it's replaced, instead of adding another empty building to Epcot's landscape.

Did I say it would be shut down for 10 years with nothing going on?

Edit: my post says "long time" but I meant "short time".

I'm saying a 1-2 week closure (say, in early November) would hardly have that strong an impact on Epcot's day to day operations.

lebeau

http://allears.net/tp/mk/msep.htm

Another thing people are forgetting is Kodak's input on this decision. Disney would never...", "Disney wouldn't want..." etc. means nothing if the sponsor, the one who's paying for the attraction to be there, says something else. Especially when Kodak's involvement with Disney extends beyond HISTA.

I'm sure if Kodak wanted it, Disney would give it to them.

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with that link. One, a parade and a movie-based attraction are two entirely different animals. And two, the "grand return" lasted 2 years. No way an Eo return would be welcome at Epcot for 1 year much less 2.

Your point about Kodak seems even less relevant. Can you imagine Kodak insisting that Disney let them bring back a dinosaur like Eo? You're really grasping at straws!

Animaniac93-98

Your point about Kodak seems even less relevant. Can you imagine Kodak insisting that Disney let them bring back a dinosaur like Eo? You're really grasping at straws!

Yes I can and I think you fail to see the point.

HIStA's attendance at Disneyland is lousy, no one's seeing the show that Kodak is paying for everyone to see. If there was a quick way to boost numbers like bringing back EO, they would do it. It's a fast way to grab attention and justify the cost of running the show. If it were to be a hit at Disneyland there's no reason to question why they wouldn't bring it back to Epcot.

Just because you, me or anyone else might not grasp the appeal of the show to the under 30-crowd who think everything and anything from the 80s is cool or the hype surrounding a celebs death (which doesn't such much about society) doesn't mean there would be zero demand for this. Disney has been pandering to the younger crowd for a while now and I doubt they would care if Uncle Owen or Grandpa Joe don't like the idea of "Jacko" returning to the parks. Teens, kids and the "D23" nostalgia crowd would gobble it up the same way they have been buying MJ albums in huge numbers (just look at music stores or the itunes stores sales) and making his death the latest media frenzy.

I think your the one who's "grasping at the straws" to find a way to make your point, but the fact that it's seriously begin considered anywhere shows that you might be in denial. What proof do you have that it wouldn't be "welcome" at Epcot by Disney, Kodak or the general public? None outside the fact that you personally think the show is cheesey in a negative perspective.

lebeau

Yes I can and I think you fail to see the point.

HIStA's attendance at Disneyland is lousy, no one's seeing the show that Kodak is paying for everyone to see. If there was a quick way to boost numbers like bringing back EO, they would do it. It's a fast way to grab attention and justify the cost of running the show. If it were to be a hit at Disneyland there's no reason to question why they wouldn't bring it back to Epcot.

The difference between DL and Epcot should be fairly obvious. They are thinking about brining it back at DL as a short-term thing to lure in the locals (annual pass holders) that are their bread-and-butter.

But in Orlando, it's all about the casual tourist. There's no upside to closing down a show that currently swallows up crowds just to put in a temporary nostalgia fix. 1) It would cost money. 2) It won't bring in any additional revenue.

I understand you want to see it. If it comes back at DL, you should go see it. But if it comes to Epcot, I'll eat my hat and post a picture. :slurp:

PhotoDave219

I know it has been disscussed on here but I just read something on another site that said Disneyland's President Ed Grier spoke about the fact that meetings have been held about bringing Captain E.O. back to Disneyland. If it were to happen it would replace Honey I Shrunk The Audience in California. Do you think this would make it easier to also add it to EPCOT?

Nope. Won't happen.

Rosso11

If Disneyland actually goes through with it and it is a huge success Kodak will absolutely push for it to be released in DW as well. Why wouldn't they? This would get such huge media attention. Why do you think the video of MJ's hair catching on fire mysteriously was released after his death? The video was held from the public for 25 years. Pepsi knew they would get free advertising from it. If Disneyland is a success and there are few public relation issues, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a limited engagement back in Epcot as well. If they were smart they would bring back the merchandise as well.

WDW Vacationer

Original Poster
If Disneyland actually goes through with it and it is a huge success Kodak will absolutely push for it to be released in DW as well. Why wouldn't they? This would get such huge media attention. Why do you think the video of MJ's hair catching on fire mysteriously was released after his death? The video was held from the public for 25 years. Pepsi knew they would get free advertising from it. If Disneyland is a success and there are few public relation issues, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a limited engagement back in Epcot as well. If they were smart they would bring back the merchandise as well.

People keep saying there would be no revenue,there would be.
1.MJ fans,some not people who would go to Disney would buy tickets to see the show.

2.Merchandise would be purchased by MJ and Disney fans.

Rosso11

The difference between DL and Epcot should be fairly obvious. They are thinking about brining it back at DL as a short-term thing to lure in the locals (annual pass holders) that are their bread-and-butter.

But in Orlando, it's all about the casual tourist. There's no upside to closing down a show that currently swallows up crowds just to put in a temporary nostalgia fix. 1) It would cost money. 2) It won't bring in any additional revenue.

I understand you want to see it. If it comes back at DL, you should go see it. But if it comes to Epcot, I'll eat my hat and post a picture. :slurp:

It's pretty hard to believe that today HISTA would be described as "swallows up crowds." If that was true they wouldn't be giving out free fast passes for it to try and trick the tourists to go onto it. I don't understand how you would say it wouldn't create revenue? Are you saying the "casual tourists" are not MJ fans? What about the locals? Sure it’s not as big of a percentage of daily visitors as DL but it’s still a large group of people. Also the huge amounts of international visitors DW brings in. MJ is even bigger in Europe than he is right here in the USA. If they brought back some of the original merchandise this could be pretty big. Will it happen in Florida? Honestly I don't think so. DW managers couldn't see a great opportunity if it smacked them in their face. The wild card here is Kodak. If it works in DL and it gets people back into the seats, I see can it happening in Florida for a limited run as well.

JEANYLASER

I love Captain EO is my favorite 3D Movie! This Movie will be great for the remember of Michael Jackson! HISTA is not great it's awful! I want Captain EO Back in EPCOT!

MasterGracey71

These EO posts keep giving hope. Hopefully it's not false hope.
Hopefully the "powers that be" that occasionally read these boards see that a return would be welcomed.
After all, you're just another part of me.

nemofinder22

HalloweenTime is the part of the artical that the Captain EO part came from, the plan is that it would be a HalloweenTime offering only-

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al072809a.htm
Just in the past week, Disneyland President Ed Grier and his TDA planners have held a few meetings to consider another element for this year's HalloweenTime promotion; a return engagement of Captain EO to the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland. This idea was of course prompted by the sudden death of Michael Jackson, and the waves of nostalgia Disneyland fans suddenly felt for that salute to 1980's music video kitsch. The decision on whether or not to bring Captain EO back for HalloweenTime has not yet been made, but TDA is now pulling together the numbers and feasibility on what it would take to give the theater a quick Captain EO overlay and retheme.
There's actually quite a bit of work that would need to go into this temporary changeover, with WDI approved signage and testing and training involved, not to mention the pesky issue of Kodak's sponsorship that mandates that Honey I Shrunk The Audience themed commercial to play in the waiting area. But since attendance at this venue has plummeted in recent years to the point where it only hosts a tiny fraction of its daily capacity, a return of Captain EO would be a great shot in the arm for this almost forgotten facility. And of course there would be swarms of Annual Passholders flooding the park to see this attraction one more time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom