Capt. Kangaroo dead at age 76

Woody13

At this juncture in the time parameter we once again proudly present "Ask Mister Language Person," the No. 1 rated language column in the United States according to a recent J.D. Power and Associates survey of consumers with imaginary steel plates in their heads. The philosophy of this column is simple: If you do not use correct grammar, people will lose respect for you, and they will burn down your house. So let's stop beating around a dead horse and cut right to the mustard with our first question:

Q. I often hear people use the word "irregardless," as in: "Irregardless of what you may or may not think, moths are capable of remorse." So finally I decided to look "irregardless" up in the dictionary, but I can't figure out what letter it begins with.

A. Grammatical experts disagree on this.

Q. What are the correct lyrics to the song, It's Howdy Doody Time!?

A. According to the Library of Congress, they are as follows:

It's Howdy Doody Time!

It's Howdy Doody Time!

It's Howdy Doody Time!

It's Howdy Doody Time!

Q. Who wrote those lyrics?

A. Cole Porter.

tigsmom

It drives me insane when people say "irregardless"...

From the dictionary:

A moment’s thought will reveal that since the prefix ir- means “not” (as it does in irrespective), and the suffix -less means “without,” irregardless is an illogical double negative. As such it is to be avoided, in favor of irrespective or regardless

Woody13

Originally posted by tigsmom
It drives me insane when people say "irregardless"...

From the dictionary:

A moment’s thought will reveal that since the prefix ir- means “not” (as it does in irrespective), and the suffix -less means “without,” irregardless is an illogical double negative. As such it is to be avoided, in favor of irrespective or regardless

Me too!:D I'm a big fan of "not hardly" as well!:lol:

Grumpy56

Well, now we know, we're old AND using antiquated jargon! The unfortunate fact is the language changes as it is used. Words that were not words when we were young..........are now in the dictionary. Time marches on and we can either run or....mmmm hobble to keep up or die! :wave: :hammer: :hammer: :snore:

prberk

Original Poster
Hold on, Grumpy. This is not your time for that argument. (Nor even the place.)

"Irregardless" is not modern or new. It is just plain wrong and meaningless. "Regardless" is the proper word. Adding "ir-" to it would negate it, no matter which era you live in.

Education (or lack thereof) is the culprit here, NOT age ....

Which brings me back to the topic at hand: Captain Kangaroo! Shows like his did an extraordinary job of TEACHING children in a fun and respectful way. That is why it left such a lasting impression, one that other shows, which simply talked down to children, or tried to be cool or hip, did not.

It mattered, and he will be missed. Programmers of any generation can learn from his legacy.

Woody13

Originally posted by prberk
Hold on, Grumpy. This is not your time for that argument. (Nor even the place.)

"Irregardless" is not modern or new. It is just plain wrong and meaningless. "Regardless" is the proper word. Adding "ir-" to it would negate it, no matter which era you live in.

Education (or lack thereof) is the culprit here, NOT age ....

Which brings me back to the topic at hand: Captain Kangaroo! Shows like his did an extraordinary job of TEACHING kids in a fun and respectful way. That is why it left such a lasting impression, one that other shows, which simply talked down to kids or tried to be cool or hip, did not.

It mattered, and he will be missed. Programmers of any generation can learn from his legacy.

Let me add here that Captain Kangaroo NEVER used the word "kid". He disliked that word very much and instead used the proper word, "children". Remember that Captain Kangaroo once worked for "Buffallo" Bob Smith.:wave:

SpongeScott

Adding to the grammar discussion (notice we get gramma from that word, meaning we're old coots in here discussing this) is the word "incredible." For example, "WDW is incredible". What we have just said is that WDW is NOT credible. Yet we use this all the time to describe something extraordinary or wonderful. Irregardless, we'll never change the masses. :lookaroun :animwink:

Woody13

Originally posted by SpongeScott
Adding to the grammar discussion...is the word "incredible." For example, "WDW is incredible". What we have just said is that WDW is NOT credible. Yet we use this all the time to describe something extraordinary or wonderful.

WDW is magic and therefore "incredible". May I also remind you about the upcoming Pixar release? It's a belief system that is no better or worse than any other fantasy.

tigsmom

And he was a close friend of Fred Rogers; another fine man who brought his "neighborhood" into our homes to teach us & our children.

prberk

Original Poster
Originally posted by Woody13
Let me add here that Captain Kangaroo NEVER used the word "kid". He disliked that word very much and instead used the proper word, "children". Remember that Captain Kangaroo once worked for "Buffallo" Bob Smith.:wave:

Thanks, Woody! You are right. I heard that on TV today, too. I stand corrected (and so does my post!) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom