Cape May Café returns May 18th

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"If you ever dream of escaping to the beach and enjoying all the delicious food of an oceanside town, you’ll be happy that Cape May Café at Disney’s Beach Club Resort reopens on May 18! The New England-style restaurant is a perfect location to refuel before and after a day of adventure at Walt Disney World.

Guests returning to Cape May Café will find old favorites and new changes, along with its signature service and quality. The restaurant will serve breakfast and dinner, but Minnie’s Beach Bash Character Breakfast and the Seafood-and-More Dinner Buffet will not return at reopening.

That’s not to say there aren’t plenty of treats in store! The all-you-care-to enjoy family-style breakfast menu will feature popular staples like pastries (including the layered crispy, cream-filled “Lobster Tail”), omelets, and Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse waffles. Highlights from dinner will include house-made Parker House rolls and corn bread, a seafood boil with a variety of fresh seafood, The Turf Platter with steak and chicken, and – my personal favorite – lobster mac and cheese.

Bookings for Cape May Café and dinnertime at Chef Mickey’s open on May 7."

DisAl

I know it is not at WDW but I can get a MUCH better seafood buffet where I live for 1/3 the price....

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I have never eaten at Cape May but I love walking passed it and smelling the seafood. Yum. Maybe in September when I stay at the beach club!

Phonedave

I know it is not at WDW but I can get a MUCH better seafood buffet where I live for 1/3 the price....

I rarely - very rarely - am a one and done type person. I will gave a restaurant multiple chances before I write it off. There was a place near me that every 3-4 months I would go to, just because I WANTED to like it - good atmosphere, close by, good menu (on paper) but just feeling disappointed. We went back every so often on the hopes it had changed.

Having said that, Cape May Cafe is one of my few one and done restaurants. I ate dinner there once and everything was so disappointing from seafood, to ribs, to sides, to the horrendous desert buffet that the staff kept bragging about (at least if you are going to serve frozen desserts defrost them completely first) - along with the non-existent waitress I had. I have not been back since (in over 10 years)

Maybe it is time to give it an other chance, but it really was bad

Drinker Bell

In the Parks
No
Have to say this excites me. The dinner is something I really enjoyed in the past as I love seafood although it is pricey, but that is seafood. I do think it is worth it. Also the list of Wines on the menu is good.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I rarely - very rarely - am a one and done type person. I will gave a restaurant multiple chances before I write it off. There was a place near me that every 3-4 months I would go to, just because I WANTED to like it - good atmosphere, close by, good menu (on paper) but just feeling disappointed. We went back every so often on the hopes it had changed.

Having said that, Cape May Cafe is one of my few one and done restaurants. I ate dinner there once and everything was so disappointing from seafood, to ribs, to sides, to the horrendous desert buffet that the staff kept bragging about (at least if you are going to serve frozen desserts defrost them completely first) - along with the non-existent waitress I had. I have not been back since (in over 10 years)

Maybe it is time to give it an other chance, but it really was bad
It's going to be family style so maybe you should give it another try. My one and done was Sci Fi

Phonedave

It's going to be family style so maybe you should give it another try. My one and done was Sci Fi

Maybe.

I found Sci Fi to be totally underwhelming. I have no problem eating there if somebody else wants to, it's just not on my list of desirable places to go.

SaltyD

This is my kids favorite "start vacation" meal - we always eat here the night of arrival although our next trip we had to compromise and do breakfast instead - glad to have the opportunity to do any meal here!

Drinker Bell

In the Parks
No
As for the Sci Fi, I got the Buffalo Chicken Salad and it was okay, but really for the price of it and I know it is Disney prices it was really not that great. The atmosphere was also just okay as I preferred the antics of the 50's Prime Time Cafe and the food there much better.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Anyone tried this new Family Style dinner? Curious about food quality, portions and service. Also, do we have to choose between the Seafood Boil and Turf Platter, or are both included? Thanks!

Anyone tried this new Family Style dinner? Curious about food quality, portions and service. Also, do we have to choose between the Seafood Boil and Turf Platter, or are both included? Thanks!
Both are included and the portions are great because they will bring you additional plates if you want more! Service was also great. I had not eaten there in years before I went in May, so I can’t compare the food to before, but I thought it was good, not amazing.

TrojanUSC

I went, we thought it was really mediocre. You do get both platters as part of the price. The seafood one is decent but not amazing, with the exception of the graying mahi, which we all found to be inedible. The "land" platter we found to be even more mediocre. Tough beef and barely warm baked chicken (which is basically the same chicken they are serving at five other family style restaurants on property, so they are probably cooking it off site and warming it at the restaurant). Oddly the creamy cilantro chimichurri sauce on the beef is the exact same sauce they are using on the chicken at 'Ohana. Weird how homogenized this has been.

The crab legs, which were a draw, are an additional charge now per pound. The best thing we ate all night was the a la carté lobster.

While some may like you no longer have to get up to get the food anymore, you are getting about 1/4 of the options for the same price.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I went, we thought it was really mediocre. You do get both platters as part of the price. The seafood one is decent but not amazing, with the exception of the graying mahi, which we all found to be inedible. The "land" platter we found to be even more mediocre. Tough beef and barely warm baked chicken (which is basically the same chicken they are serving at five other family style restaurants on property, so they are probably cooking it off site and warming it at the restaurant). Oddly the creamy cilantro chimichurri sauce on the beef is the exact same sauce they are using on the chicken at 'Ohana. Weird how homogenized this has been.

The crab legs, which were a draw, are an additional charge now per pound. The best thing we ate all night was the a la carté lobster.

While some may like you no longer have to get up to get the food anymore, you are getting about 1/4 of the options for the same price.
Thank you for your review. Dinner at Cape May Cafe used to be one of our favorite meals on property, I was really hoping for this offering to be better than just 'decent'.

TrojanUSC

Thank you for your review. Dinner at Cape May Cafe used to be one of our favorite meals on property, I was really hoping for this offering to be better than just 'decent'.

No problem. If you've never been, I'd suggest checking out Celebration Tavern. Very close to property and super good New England seafood at pretty reasonable prices. The lobster chowder on Fridays is to die for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom