Can't decide between Florida or California...Please Help Decide

musketeer

Original Poster
Hello,

I am having trouble deciding. My wife is a teacher. It turns out her district has decided to have the week befor President's week off. From my reasearch (on here and other places), I have decided that is a good time to visit Disney. The problem is, I can't decide which. I've been to Disney World many times (most recently summer 2002). I have never been to Disneyland (or even the state of California).

On the one hand, I know that going to Disney World will be a fun time. I know we'll enjoy it, I know where we would stay, eat, ride, etc.

But I think this is a good opportunity to visit Disneyland, hoping that it will be less crowded the week before President's week. I know there are certain tradeoffs. For example, I would miss rides like the Aerosmith Roller Coaster, Spaceship Earth, and the Carousel of Progress. But I know there are attractions at Disneyland NOT in Disney World. And I also know that there are some that share the same name, but one is superior to the other. I guess what I'm worried about is the whole idea of the Disneyland Resort being more like Universal Orlando and not like Disney World.

My judgement tells me to take advantage of the opportunity and go where we've never been before, but a little bit of me is worried that I'll be disappointed that we didn't choose to go to Disney World.

Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tigger248

That would be a tough choice! Do you think you'll be able to swing a trip to CA anytime next year? If so, then I'd definitely go to WDW and save DL for the 50th anniversary celebration. If it's the only chance you'll have to go, then DL may be worth a visit.

For example, I last went to WDW in July and DL in 1991. I'd still probably pick WDW, because I am really hoping to make it to the 50th and if I go now, that won't happen. So that may be something to consider too.

DL is still magical, just in a different way than WDW. In DL you have the pleasure of knowing it was Walt's original dream and how he frequently visited that park. It's also kinda cozy atmosphere wise. But, be prepared for it to be different from WDW. It's been 13 years so I don't remember a lot about it, but I do remember driving on the streets that surround the park and seeing the backs of the attractions. Like you can really see the back of Splash backing up to the street. It's kinda different... (although I've seen the back of WDW's splash too just for different reasons :animwink: ).

Whichever place you choose, I'm sure you'll have a blast! There's also a lot to do in southern CA, so even though DL's smaller, you won't run out of stuff to do. Good luck in your decision making.

Number_6

At least you aren't settling it like that one couple did awhile back. They got into an arguement over it and started to beat the crap out of each other. :hammer:

musketeer

Original Poster
I guess I should clarify. I am not interested in the 50th anniversary. I am picking the week before President's week to avoid crowds, and I know the summer will be awful (crowd wise) because of the anniversary. It just so happens it is the same year. So going to california just for the 50th anniversary will not factor into my decision.

trdisneyfan

They're right. DL will be pretty messy up until the middle of next year when the 50th celebration starts. It's tarp city now. Even the castle - pretty ugly.

If you're trying to decide where to go, I think of it like this...

Disneyland is something people go to see while visiting California.

Florida is something people go to see while visiting Disney World.

So, unless you want to combine seeing other CA stuff on your trip, just go to WDW, especially if you're making a trip primarily for Disney stuff.

Hope this helps.

PrinceDon

opinion from the west coast

Given the choice between the 2, I would also pick wdw. DL is my home park due to its location, but wdw is where I always return to. Don't get me wrong, DL & DCA is great, for about 3 days. Beyond that, I would start looking for other things to do. (Vegas isn't to far, but it isn't Disney.)
I agree, save DL for the anniversary.
Have a great trip either way!

PhilosophyMagic

musketeer said:
I guess I should clarify. I am not interested in the 50th anniversary. I am picking the week before President's week to avoid crowds, and I know the summer will be awful (crowd wise) because of the anniversary. It just so happens it is the same year. So going to california just for the 50th anniversary will not factor into my decision.

No, I think you actually misread their post... there will be rehabs going on to prepare for the upcoming 50th anniversary celebration, and that is a reason AGAINST going to Caslifornia.

Since you were last at WDW, there have been some exiting editions, like the new Mission: Space thrill ride at Epcot, and Mickey's Philharmagic, Wishes fireworks show (not to be missed, I've heard), and soon Stitch's Great Escape.

Of that doesn't interest you, Disneyland Park and California Adventure have some very cool things you've never done. Indiana Jones Adventure in Adventureland is one of the best attractions Disney has ever created, in my humble opinion. Also, the California version of Pirates of the Carribean is MUCH, MUCH better than the Florida one. PoTC was never one of my favorite attractions, but once I went on the one at Disneyland, it became my favorite ride of all. The Matterhorn is also fun, but just a traditional small roller coaster. In DCA (Disney's California Adventure), you'll also experiance Sorin' Over California, which is a lot of fun, and many people's favorite, though it will be coming to WDW in 2005. Also at DCA, you can enjoy Grizzly River Run, which is pretty good for a rapids ride, and California Screamin' which is a very fun roller coaster with one loop.

You may know most of what I just said, but at least you've got an overview of the new experiances in both places. At WDW, however, you'll have a lot to do, while in California, there are only two parks, and DCA isn't even going to take a full day. And yes, it is a lot like Universal Orlando, except with less to do. Other than the Disneyland Park (Magic Kingdom), it's not all that seperated from the "real world," if thet's what you're looking for.

In terms of places to stay in California, if you're willing to spend the money Disney's Grand Californian Hotel is AWESOME, with an entrance directly into DCA, and an entrance into Downtown Disney, which provides a short, pleasant walk right to Disneyland Park. You can also stay right next door with a nice selection of nearby hotels.

Outside of Disneyland, there is a lot to do in Southern California. If you like traditional amusement parks, Knott's Berry Farm is literally a few blocks down the street, and it offers a terrific bunch of thrill rides.

Hope this helps you decide... either way, HAVE FUN!!

Main Street USA

I visited Disneyland a couple years back, because I hadn't been since I was about 5. Id been going to Disney WOrld for about 15 years straight, and because of the second fact, I think it kind of ruined "land" for me. Everything at Disneyland is MUCH smaller in scale, and the park is more cramped. It does have that coziness that was mentioned. Also, knowing that it's the original park is really neat as well.

My biggest gripe with "land", though, is that the "magic" feeling of being separated from the rest of the world just isn't there, not only because of where it sits, but also because the majority of it's visitors AREN'T tourists. You run into a LOT of teenage types and locals at "land."

I definitely think "land" is worth visiting, but not in place of a WDW vacation.

:)

LadyDarling

I'd say come explore California, but in that week, plan to see a LOT more than just Disneyland! As a proud 14th generation native californian, I'm glad to say there is TONS to see! :) If you need any recommendations, feel free to PM me! :)

stranger

musketeer said:

I've noticed you asking questions on both boards and pretty sure you have most information on hotels and know the differences between both parks. I don't know if you're planning on spending a whole week doing just Disney. As a California native I can tell you there is more to California than just Disneyland. I know LadyDarling can help you with any recommendation you may need and if you want more suggestions please pm me as well.

musketeer

Original Poster
Thanks everyone so far. And as a response to some posts: yes, the trip to California will not be just Disney. We plan on renting a car upon arriving, and driving to San Diego for a couple of nights (Zoo, Sea World, etc), then coming back to LA to spend 3 or 4 days in Disneyland. And if the trip were to Florida, it would be strictly Disney World. So I guess I do understand that and have planned accordingly. I'm not sure what to do still, I have 5 months, but know that serious planning should start 5 months out, if not earlier. I guess my fear comes from my trip last year. In 2003, we went on a Caribbean cruise (not Disney), and thinking that I wouldn't like it, talked my wife into going to Universal Orlando for a couple of days. Turns out I didn't like it too much. The reason being is that it seemed that alot of the attractions/hotels/restraunts/etc seemed very "off the shelf" and not original. Amazingly, while reading the Brinbaum Disneyland 2005 book last night, that exact phrase was used to describe the California Adventure.

I guess I just want to take advantage of this week in Feb that I am confident will not be entirely busy. I've always stayed away from Disneyland out of fear that more people try to fit into a smaller space, and this seemed like a way out of that.

Well, I appreciate all of the responses...I can't say that I've made a decision because there have been good points on both sides, and most of those are ones that I have come up with as well.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

NemoRocks78

Seized
Amazingly, while reading the Brinbaum Disneyland 2005 book last night, that exact phrase was used to describe the California Adventure.

I happen to disagree with the remark about Universal Orlando attractions being "off the shelf," but that phrase definitely describes ALL of Disney's California Adventure. :lol:

IMO, Disneyland is much better in terms of theming and attractions (what I mean is that there are more attractions at DL) then the Magic Kingdom has or ever will be. Their versions of PotC and HM are much better than their MK counterparts. Disneyland also has attractions such as the Indiana Jones Adventure, Alice in Wonderland, and Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin; they also have attractions that are no longer in the Magic Kingdom, such as Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and The Enchanted Tiki Room.

There's also many other great theme parks outside of the Disneyland area; Knott's Berry Farm is a great park and is only 15 minutes away. Universal Studios Hollywood, with the world-famous Studio Tour (not to mention attractions such as the brand-new Revenge of the Mummy, Jurassic Park: The Ride, and Shrek 4D) is another one, but it is an hour away in Los Angeles.

If I were you, I would give California a try. I love the place. Good luck on your decision! :)

David

I would have to vote for WDW over DL, right now. We love going to WDW and are planning our first trip to DL next summer, but I think that if you went to DL now, with all the rehabs going on, you would not get a true picture of the park and all it has to offer, and as a result mind spend your days wishing you had gone to WDW. I'm really looking forward to going to DL next year, but if I went all the way across the country and saw a lot of blue tarps everywhere, I don't think I would enjoy the trip, even if able to take in other California sites.

24 days till our next WDW adventure! :sohappy: :sohappy:

CenterLine

That is a hard choice. My wife and I faced a similar choice for this October. We are from CA and have been to DL Resort a number of times as well as three times to WDW.

The problem with DL is that until the big celebration next year alot of the place is in rehab. Space Mountain will be closed until then along with a number of other attractions. Don't get me wrong I love DL, just couldn't justify going this time if alot of the park was going to be closed.

Of course, by the time you are planning many of those attractions should be up and running. I think Space Mountain will still be closed though. There are alot of other things to see in S. CA. If you have never been it may be worth the trip for you. There is quite a bit of other stuff to do in the area. San Diego can take quite a bit of time with the attractions down there also.

Which ever you chose it sounds like it should be a great time.

maelstrom

I'd definately say Disneyland if they weren't rehabbing so heavily for the 50th anniversary celebration. The way I see it, it isn't even worth it to go to Disneyland until the summer when the actual celebration is going on. We were planning on going in January, but then I discovered all the rehabbing going on, and we booked WDW instead. I think you should do the same. :)

WDWScottieBoy

I'd have to say WDW because of all the the rehabs going on right now. After all, you can't go to a Disney park without riding Space. Stitch might be open at WDW by that week too. I just think WDW has more to do right now than DL does.

stranger

musketeer said:
I guess I just want to take advantage of this week in Feb that I am confident will not be entirely busy. I've always stayed away from Disneyland out of fear that more people try to fit into a smaller space, and this seemed like a way out of that.

I wouldn't worry too much of crowds during that time of year because it's Disneyland's offseason. I will warn you that Feb. is rainy season (meaning, we get two weeks of rain out of the whole month)...it does scare crowds away, but I hope it doesn't scare you away.

aimster

Disneyland is a big sea of tarps and construction walls right now. Once they all come down, the park is going to look absolutely beautiful after all those years of neglect.

Since all that is going on, I too would have to say visit WDW instead this time around. There's not as much construction/rehabs going on as compared to Disneyland, so overall you would have a better experience. You can save Disneyland for a future trip for after the tarps and walls come down and the 50th anniversary crowds die down some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom