Canon EOS 5D Mark IV arrives, anyone excited?

ddbowdoin

The advantages are becoming smaller and smaller across these releases that upgrading simply isn't worth it anymore. Canon has major issues with DR and color representation but aside from those subjective issues the cost is just not justified.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I finally had a chance to look at the details this weekend and I have to admit I'm not all that impressed; especially given how much time has lapsed since the 5D3 was released. There are a few nice additions like built-in GPS and WiFi, slightly faster continuous shooting, etc.. It's unclear so far in the previews I've seen what (if any) improvements there are in dynamic range and whether they've fixed the shadow noise issues the 5D3 had. It's also kind of surprising they they stuck with CF as one of the storage mediums. I understand the backward compatibility thing for upgraders but that storage medium is really starting to fade in the marketplace. Unless they are going to change their pace of upgrades, CF will be all but dead before this model gets refreshed.

I gave up on Canon 2 years ago (after 15 years as a Canon shooter) and sold off my 7D and 5D3 and all the lenses and switched over to Nikon. I was fed up with the poor dynamic range, shadow noise, low resolution sensor and the fact they they were just not moving the ball forward at all. Many thought I was a fool and should just wait for the 5D4. Now that 2 more years have passed since then and we finally have the 5D4, I have absolutely no regrets on making that decision for my needs.

If you're a portrait or maybe a wedding shooter I'm guessing this is a nice evolutionary upgrade but I don't find it terribly impressive for my needs. I'll be really curious to see how the real world users (not previewers) feel about when they get there hands on it in a few weeks.

NowInc

More than a few early reviews have not been positive, with most praise coming from those sponsored by canon. Real world reviews will be interesting for sure.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
More than a few early reviews have not been positive, with most praise coming from those sponsored by canon. Real world reviews will be interesting for sure.
It seems really hard to find any reviewers now who are not sponsored by the big 3 manufacturers or one of the online retailers.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It seems really hard to find any reviewers now who are not sponsored by the big 3 manufacturers or one of the online retailers.

That's part of why I'm not paying a lot of attention to most of what's out there right now. Need to wait until the real-world (unsponsored) photographers get there hands on it in September before we'll get something more than the spec sheet reading previews. Every camera has limitations in the real world that just do not show up when you're using it for only a few days in a preview session. Getting it out in the real world, in uncontrolled conditions is where the strengths and weaknesses of any piece of camera gear will show up.

NowInc

That's part of why I'm not paying a lot of attention to most of what's out there right now. Need to wait until the real-world (unsponsored) photographers get there hands on it in September before we'll get something more than the spec sheet reading previews. Every camera has limitations in the real world that just do not show up when you're using it for only a few days in a preview session. Getting it out in the real world, in uncontrolled conditions is where the strengths and weaknesses of any piece of camera gear will show up.

Its scary how many review units canon gave out this round. The day this body was announced, dozens of reviews appeared. I know its important to market, but its getting a tad bit too obvious over the handouts that the camera companies are providing for positive reviews.

thomas998

Well here it is https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-first-impressions-review

Have to admit, it isn't really getting me interested. Some really strange choices on the video - MJPEG and cropped sensor for 4K video.
I don't think I'm going to be impressed with any new DSLRs until one of the majors comes out with one that has a global shutter for video... I don't even car if its only 1080... it would be nice to be able to shoot video without having to worry about jello effects popping up.

sheriffwoody

I'll be renting it before I commit to buying. If the noise levels at high ISOs aren't significantly lower than the III, I won't bother spending money on it. I really want the wifi (it would come in super handy for my day job and at weddings), but there are other ways to get that feature.

I don't care a bit about the video, and I hate that I have to pay for all of those features when I'll never use them :cautious:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Its scary how many review units canon gave out this round. The day this body was announced, dozens of reviews appeared. I know its important to market, but its getting a tad bit too obvious over the handouts that the camera companies are providing for positive reviews.

I don't think I've seen anything out there I would consider and actual 'review'. Everything I've come across isn't much more than a preview from someone reading the marketing materials from Canon and getting maybe a couple of days to play with it. You can't do a complete and honest review in that short a time, you have to get it out in the real world, under real-world conditions and see how it holds up.

That's the lesson I learned the hard way with the Sony a7R. The specs on paper looked great and the previews made it out to be the next coming of FF camera bodies. I kept it for 6 months and went back to my DSLR. The spec sheet simply does not tell the whole story about a camera body.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom